Something is not sitting right with me about this - part time working

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
OK, so I was FT, last jan I became PT and it was of course, temp for 3 month trial. Due to different reasons, its never been finalised, they keep pushing it out as a trial....but saying they are ok with it, and we even have another PT worker.

Well, As I go on maternity leave the start of May they said they see no point in making it in stone.................BUT that means that when I come back, I will have to make a NEW application for flexible working.

Whilst I am away they are getting a FULL TIME temp.........So I am getting the feeling/worry that they will say no, and that in the time I have been off they will decide they need a FT person. As if that happens, the child care for 2 kids is more than my wages, but we cant survive with me not working :(. We wouldn't qualify for tax credits either as we would be on about 39k joint, right now its 32 odd.

In some ways it feels like they are pushing me out............:growlmad:

I can see why you feel that way, I know it costs a little but can you join your union and discuss it with a rep?

I agree.... get them to sort it out before you go on maternity.... mention sexual disxrimination and rights for pregnant workers, that will get them worried

I can see why you feel that way, I know it costs a little but can you join your union and discuss it with a rep?

Definitely - well worth it and when you're on maternity it's minimal fee too :thumbup:

I would lay it out nicely at first - that you want to return on a similar basis and as such would like to re-draw your contract before you go so there is no grey areas. If they refuse or keep changing their minds, then request it in writing and hold on tight. It may well be that they would rather have 1 FT worker than 2 PT, but they've made this arrangement with you, and it's your right as a worker to have a valid contract on which you can fall when asked to fulfil your job requirements.

Good luck - and don't let it lay. If you want/need to return to work, then make sure you do all you can to get your terms before you go on mat leave.

Thing is that as the PT hours arent finalised, my FT contract still stands. Its just the finalising of the PT days/hours they wont do.

Its worse tho because.........I originally started as Weds - Fri........because those are the days the nursery had free. They wanted me to change to Mon-Weds for business reasons - i.e more work comes in on a monday. As of November they dont have the tues so it means that to go back to Mon - Weds I wont have cover for Emma on a tues. Im holding out hope they might, but im going to have to find a child minder - which means that LO is going to miss out on 2.5 hours of free childcare as she can only go nursery Mon & Weds. So financially I am going to lose out.............I dont want ot move her either as well. she will be 5 in the june 2014 and what is the point in moving her from her friends to a new nursery to then move her to a new school!

Can I joint a union? I am only an office worker for an oil company. The only one I know of is OILC, and that's for actual offshore workers and is £19 a month - which even if I could join I cant afford that.

I was a member of Unite - they're a general union for anyone and everyone so that they hve backup. I've looked quickly at the site but can't find the prices but seem to think it's around £10 a month.

If you can't do that, then give ACAS a call https://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

While they can't give you personal advice they should be able to point you in the right direction and say whether or not your employers are in the wrong.

Good luck xx

If they say they need a FT worker, you would get the job wouldn't you, as you still have a FT contract? IIRC, you're entitled to request a job share as part of the flexible working rules. I think YOU have to be the one to find a suitable person to share the job with but I don't think they can refuse unless they have a proper reason. Would the other PT person job share with you?

I think union subscription prices correlate with your wages, so the less you earn the less it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->