something to think about , (ED vs EOD)

pushmug7

Reaction score
i found this on another forum and it was interesting and thought to post it to ttc ladies on bnb :)

it actually makes sense to me what do you think????

"Say you DTD the night of a positive, that deposits approximately 40 million sperm (a lowball amount of sperm in ejaculate, so that I'm not giving best-case scenario. Men tend to ejaculate 2-4 mL, with anywhere from 20 million sperm per mL to over 100 million per mL if they fit into lab norms). Then you DTD the next night, 40 million more. Now there's about 80 million sperm waiting to fertilize the egg.

Now, let's look at the other situation: say you DTD the night of a +OPK (40 million sperm) and then the next morning, 7-8 hours later. Even if we say that the second ejaculation is reduced by 10%*, that still means 36 million additional sperm are hanging around. Then you DTD a third time that night; 10% less than the previous (since we're in a less-than-24-hour window between ejaculations again) still adds 32.4 million more sperm. So that's 40 million + 36 million + 32.4 million for a total of 108.4 million sperm to potentially fertilize the egg, versus just 80 million if you skip the morning quickie.

(*10% is a conservative estimate of the amount by which frequent ejaculation would reduce the sperm content of the next ejaculate. Most people think the effect is less than that, meaning the actual number of available sperm would be even higher in the second scenario.)

The bottom line is that more BDing = more sperm available, even for men with problems with their sperm count (and I looked into this pretty extensively, as my DH is one of those men). The notion of both needing to, and being able to, "save up sperm supply" is controversial. More ejaculations result in more total sperm hanging out in the female, even when later ejaculations have lower concentrations. Besides, sperm, like breastfeeding, is supply and demand; there's even good evidence to suggest that infrequent ejaculations affect sperm quality more than frequent ejaculations affect quantity. It's actually not uncommon for a urologist to recommend that a man ejaculate at least once every four days throughout a woman's entire cycle in order to keep up "demand" and quality. Because sperm take weeks to make, today's quantity and quality reflect the demand about 8 weeks ago, so attention to ejaculation frequency while TTC needs to take place all month, not just during the short fertile window."

When I asked my doc if we should bd every other day as opposed to everyday, he ACTUALLY LAUGHED AT ME. lol seriously! Then he chuckled it off and said, "No, have sex every day! More sex equals more sperm". I felt so silly after I asked, because I often heard from people about the "every other day" method being best.

When I asked my doc if we should bd every other day as opposed to everyday, he ACTUALLY LAUGHED AT ME. lol seriously! Then he chuckled it off and said, "No, have sex every day! More sex equals more sperm". I felt so silly after I asked, because I often heard from people about the "every other day" method being best.

thats exactly what my dr did PLUS we deal with male factor.
even dhs dr said the same thing.

How often should infertile men have intercourse to achieve conception?
Tur-Kaspa I, Maor Y, Levran D, Yonish M, Mashiach S, Dor J.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To clarify how often infertile men should have intercourse to achieve conception, the effect of sequential ejaculation on total motile sperm counts was investigated.
DESIGN:
Case-control study.
SETTING:
Infertility and IVF unit, tertiary care center.
PARTICIPANTS:
Five hundred seventy-six men who produced two closely spaced sequential ejaculates.
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE:
The total motile sperm counts of the second ejaculates were compared with the total motile sperm counts of the first ejaculates.
RESULTS:
In normospermic men (n = 359), the total motile sperm counts decreased significantly from 93 (18 to 601) (median [minimum to maximum] x 10(6)) in the first ejaculate to 42 (1.2 to 387) in the second ejaculate, produced 24 hours later. In contrast to the normospermic men, in the asthenospermic group (24 hours difference, n = 81) and in both oligospermic groups, (1 to 4 hours difference, n = 27; and 24 hours difference, n = 45), there were no significant changes in the total motile sperm counts (24 [5.9 to 229] versus 30 [0.8 to 150], 6 [0.8 to 18] versus 3.6 [0.1 to 63] and 13 [2.5 to 32] versus 10 [0.1 to 66], respectively). Moreover, in both oligoasthenospermic groups (1 to 4 hours difference, n = 23; and 24 hours difference, n = 41) the total motile sperm counts increased significantly (3.2 [0.6 to 7.9] versus 8 [0.4 to 48] and 4 [0.2 to 13] versus 4 [0.1 to 101], respectively). In all groups, pooling sequential ejaculates significantly increased the total motile sperm counts, over and above that of the first ejaculate, by 49% in the normospermic group, 95% in the asthenospermic group, 67% and 75% in the oligospermic groups (1 to 4 hours and 24 hours difference, respectively), and 233% and 139% in the oligoasthenospermic groups (1 to 4 hours and 24 hours difference, respectively).
CONCLUSIONS:
Sequential ejaculation may overcome the impaired sperm transport causing low total motile sperm counts observed in some oligospermic and/or asthenospermic men. Most of these infertile men may significantly increase their fertility potential, assessed by the total motile sperm counts, either by pooling sequential ejaculates for IUI, GIFT, and IVF, or by having intercourse every day or even twice a day, at the time of ovulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->