Son Struggling with KS2

hypnorm

Reaction score
If I had had my choice I would have started my son at school a year later as his birthday is the 22nd of August meaning he is one oft he youngest had he been about a week later he would have been in the year below anyway.
Reception he loved and the teacher was ok, then he continued to have the same teacher for yr1, she turned very unsupportive and made out his was a he trouble maker and disruptive. She honestly didn't know how to handle him and she retired at the end of that year. Yr 2 the teacher was fab made a consistent effort with him and he improved so much. But now he has moved in to key stage two, and he is struggling with any of the basics, we have asked the teacher for extra maths we can support him with.... We got 5 sheet about 4weeks ago and are still waiting for more, I have looked at home tutoring but it is so expensive. A friend is going to suggest some things for him. They are getting him to do joined up writing when he can only just do normal writing, since I complained he couldn't read the joined up they have switched to single letters again. He is above average for his reading which is great.
He can get disruptive and bored if he doesn't know what he is supposed to do, they are making them be more independent but it means often Ewan doesn't remember to bring his home work home until after it is supposed to be handed in, or doesn't even understand what is expected of him. He is on an I.E.P individual education plan, and I think SEN special educational needs. But not statemented in anyway. I don't want him turning out to be the ones in secondary school in the special needs class, but the school Seem to be slow in offering ideas on how we can help, we aren't awkward snotty parents who say their child can do no wrong, we want to help them and Ewan get the best out of him, as he loves it when he is doing so well.

Not quite sure what I am ranting about but if anyone has advice it would be great! I know there are some teachers out there.

wish I had some advice but I'm having similar problems with my DS1. He, too, is August born (14th August) - he's the second youngest in his class. He's in Year 1 but he is really struggling with reading and writing and maths. He has JUST been moved up to level 3 reading which is still pretty low for his age.

DD on the other hand is virtually his polar opposite in that respect. Her birthday is 25th September. I don't know if it's because she's a girl, or because she is a September baby, or just generally because she picks things up better, but she has always been way ahead at everything academic. She's technically meant to be Year 2 but she's in a Year 3 class because she's just so advanced.

It's really odd and quite difficult trying to deal with kids at totally different ends of the spectrum. I'm not sure what else I could suggest you do for your DS, because if I knew, I'd be trying it myself with my DS1!

I know exactly what you mean about them trying to get your DS to do joined up writing as well My DS1 can barely manage normal letters (he can, just about, but they're wonky and sometimes backwards) and the school is expecting him to do cursive, it just seems to be putting the cart before the horse.

In many ways I wish DD had been an August baby so she could have started school earlier, and DS1 had been a September baby so he could have had the extra time at home/in nursery.

I'll be facing similar issues with DS2 and this new baby. DS2 is also a September baby, and the new baby will be in July, so close enough to the end of the year.

I think boys are generally a bit slower than girls, mine is a feb baby and is ding much much more than Ewan did at that age, but she is also in full time nursry which Ewan never was.
Having a teacher who couldn't keep his interest for the first two years really hasn't helped either and we have had to nag to get help required, but he needs more, even though they say he needs to be more independent and work on his own. He is also the tallest in his class which really doesn't help either! Although he is only seven he wear size 8 or 9 clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->