Soothers and SIDS

Jules

Mummy of 1 Girl & 1 Boy
Reaction score
I was reading a pregnancy magazine yesterday and it said that using a soother can help prevent SIDS by upto 50% apparently...... it had been reported by researchers. I never knew this i wasn't planning to give my baby a soother as it took years to get my nephew off them, any one else planning on using soothers?

I used dummies with my other two & I will again though she has been sucking her thumb in all scans but I would prefer to use dummy as I can sterilise it & take it off her!!

I have a few, not sure if we'll use them or not, will really let the baby decide if she wants them...

I read this too! I had in fact already bought his first dummy:) I think they are great but you have to be strict about taking it from them early.

Jesus christ I thought this said aids. I thought you were going to announce that someone had got aids from eating a Soother.. :|

I have 4 dummies. :)

Alex has dummies, he loves them, i'm just worried i'll never be able to get it off him, especially as my youngest cousin stil had several until the age of 5 =/
I just really didnt want him to start sucking his thumb, that was my main reason to give them to him in the first place, as my other young cousin holly sucked her thumb for years, until she was 10 i believe and she has a skinny wierdly shaped thumb now from years of sucking on it...its honestly rather gross lol.

So dummys get a thumbs up from me haha :)

xxx

My children never as babies liked soothers. I think they used me instead for a soother. :rofl:

I was reading a pregnancy magazine yesterday and it said that using a soother can help prevent SIDS by upto 50% apparently...... it had been reported by researchers. I never knew this i wasn't planning to give my baby a soother as it took years to get my nephew off them, any one else planning on using soothers?

I'm completely over the latest findings lately. To me dummy's cause more trouble then they are worth!

i read about this not long after i got pregnant. its saying that if you settle the baby when it goes to sleep with a soother there is less chance of SIDS.
wont harm to try and if it is true id rather have my child kicking up a fuss over taking its dummy away a year or 2 later than not have it there at all. thats just my opininon

I've bought dummies for baby incase he wants them. Nathan never liked his dummy at all until he started teething though :wacko:

With my first son I wasnt planning on giving him one, but the nurses in the hostpital took it upon themselves to give him one without my consent, and I would have felt bad taking it away after seeing how well it soothed him. He actually decided for himself that he didn't want it anymore around 8 months.
I will be most likely giving my new baby one this time around, if these new findings have any truth at all to them, I dont wanna take the chance... anything i can do to reduce the risk, I am all for.

i use a dummy i think you'll find most babies that dont have them will suck their thumbs,fingers or mums boobies to soothe themselves i figure at least u can take a dummy away u cant chop body parts off lol

Colton has a bunch. He only likes two though, and those are the ones we had at the hospital. He wont suck on the others cause they are shaped different. He also only takes those two if he really wants them. He likes to spit them out.

I am planning on using dummies, i read about that report too, plus you can take the dummy away not their thumb (i cant stand seeing kids sucking their thumbs infact even in the office i work in the adults sometimes suck their thumbs!! ).
I know there might be issue taking the dummy away but i guess its no different from taking away the bottle and replacing it with a cup....plus the dummy fairy is a good option ! :)

I used a dummy with my first and I definately will again if this one wants one - not all babies like them.

Not for the SIDS reason although thats a bonus, but because my sister and I both didnt have them and we sucked our fingers. I just think you can take a dummy off a baby but you cant take their fingers off of them. I sucked my fingers until I was 11yrs old and found it incredibly hard to stop and my sister sucked them for longer. As a result her teeth are very crooked and she very much regrets carrying on so long. The dentist wouldnt fit a brace until she stopped and when she did she was too old to have it done on the NHS and it costs over £2000 so that was that. My daughter had her dental check up yesterday and the dentist says she wont need a brace and her teeth are just right and will be perfectly straight. I do think thats partly because she had an orthodontic dummy.
When I was ready to I took it off her in stages. First she only had it in the house then only at night then we gave it to Father Christmas for the baby reindeers just after her 2nd birthday in November. She cried for 2 days at bed time then she was fine.

x

I think sucking your thumb and fingers has a huge effect on teeth being straight, but I don't think the dummy does - Me and my twin sister both had the same dummy and my teeth required lots of work and hers were perfect.

thumbs up for dummies , love them.

Not only do they soothe the baby for teething and when they have non stop crying fits but also reduces the risk of SIDS!
Had them with my daughter and will use them again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->