Sort of Weird Question for Those That Go Running

Lightworker

Reaction score
Hey all! I am trying to lose the last 8ish pounds of weight and honestly its taking ages. I currently do dance aerobics for half an hour 5 days a week. I was thinking that perhaps I could go for a run in addition to this but my main worry is my body is curvy, with a defined waistline, and worried that maybe running will build more muscle round my abs. Nyway, just wondering, those that run, do you find you have more muscle on your abs, especially the sides? Sorry if it sounds weird lol

As far as I am aware, running won't increase mass on the side of the abs.

Nope! If it's going to increase muscle anywhere it'll be on your legs, but I'm doing some serious running atm and haven't noticed any muscle mass increase, just toning and firming of what was there already. You will probably feel some muscle tenderness in the sides of your abs after your first few runs, just like how your muscles feel after a workout anyway, but you won't suddenly develop a humongous 6-pack or lose your waist or anything like that!

I run 5 miles every evening, I always used to before I was pregnant as well and it never made my waist shapeless so to speak (although my last pregnancy gave me a rectangular body!!).
Running is fantastic, it will build muscle fast and running uphill will certainly bulk your thighs up.
Just make sure if you are road running to go and get a decent pair of proper running shoes fitted, save those knees! x

I run 5 miles every evening, I always used to before I was pregnant as well and it never made my waist shapeless so to speak (although my last pregnancy gave me a rectangular body!!).
Running is fantastic, it will build muscle fast and running uphill will certainly bulk your thighs up. Just make sure if you are road running to go and get a decent pair of proper running shoes fitted, save those knees! x

I am a keen runner and have been doing it for over 15 years including up to being 6 months pregnant.

Yes running is fantastic but it won't build significant muscle. It will TONE muscle and do this quickly if you run regularly.

It takes many months for women to build even a pound of muscle and that is usually with a high protien diet and lifting heavy weights.

Running will help you get a great overall shape but not gain significant muscle and def not round your sides or abs!!

good luck!!
xxx

I lost all my weight before the pregnancy through a mix of taekwondo and running. The running will strip excess fat nearly everywhere. Might possibly give you bigger calves if you do serious amounts of running, but I'd waaaay prefere bigger calves and a slimmer everywhere else!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->