Soy? Agnus-castus? Progesteron cream? Please help!

Flapjack

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm usually a lurker but I am going out of my mind right now with confusion and could do with some help.

I'm TTC #2 and have been for ages, it's not been such a good time for me with the whole TTC issues, but around the time we started TTC we found out my sister had breast cancer which has added to my stress and, I think, made it harder. So I'm trying not to get too anxious about why it hasn't happened yet.

My sister, thank God, is on the mend now, and I feel less stressed and would really like to get pregnant.

I've been to the doctor who gave me the 21 day blood test and everything came back fine apart from my progesterone levels which came out at 20. However, I did ov late that cycle, (around day 16/17) so think my level would have been higher, but not as high as I would like!
I have a LP of 10/11 days with spotting on day 11 and AF on day 12.

So, I have been referred to FS but my appointment is not until Feb 2012!! As I can't get to see anyone any earlier, I want to try all that I can to increase my chances of getting pregnant before that date.

I'm currently taking Omega 369 and Fertility Plus for women, which contains all the B vitamins, but hasn't lengthened my LP yet. I don't know if I should take Soy, Agnus-castus, progesterone cream, or all three!

Sorry for the long ramble, but if anyone could offer my any advice or share their experiences it would be really useful because the internet is so full of conflicting stories.

x

Hi,
Can't help too much except to say I am taking a supplement with agnus-castus in it, and my lp has stayed the same...but my lp hasn't been a problem really. I haven't been taking it long, but I have noticed symptoms from it-very sore breasts b4 af, which is frustrating bc it mimics pg symptoms. I have heard that soy can delay ovulation also. I made an appt with a naturopath to help me get on the right track with the supplements-shorter wait for an appt and cheaper also! Have you considered this in the meantime?

Readyformore has had 3 kids with an 11 day LP so I wouldn't even worry about it.

Soy is something that people take to encourage an stronger Ov (if it delays Ov it could be bad for your LP), and Agnus Castus is supposed to be good for regulating cycles. Suggest you do a thread search on these supplements, lots of people have tried them, but if you're regular then IDK if you would really get benefits :shrug:

When I first joined the forum all I was taking was folic acid, then I too panicked and added a supplement (Evening Primrose Oil) it completely messed up my cycle and as a result I lost 2 months of TTC, so be careful, I'm glad your sister is okay now.

Thanks so much for your replies.

Jennifer01 - I did get some advice from a naturopath from where I was having acupuncture, she put me on this progesterone tincture which messed up my cycle and made me have breakthrough bleeding throughout. When I asked her about it, she didn't know what was happening and told me it was probably my system 'having a clear out' and would regulate soon. I pretty much lost confidence in her advice then, the bleeding throughout the cycle was too scary, especially when I googled the stuff she'd given me and I couldn't find any information about it anywhere!
Maybe it's just who I've seen though, and my sceptical nature, so I might go and see someone else, just to get their opinion. Let me know how your appointment goes :)

Northstar - thanks so much for telling me about Readyformore's LP. I thought it had to be around 13 to 15 days to sustain a pregnancy. I feel better about it now. I'm pretty regular, my LP is always the same but my O varies anywhere from CD14 to CD19. I think it's to do with the stress I've been under, but as I was on the net most of last night, I think I'm going to give Soy a try. I figure that when I do see the FS he'll put me on clomid, so I might as well try the more gentle version!
I know what you mean about coming on the forums and trying out everything. I too was just on a supermarket brand folic acid before googling, it's just you wish there was a magic pill you could take to get you pregnant. I keep thinking I'm missing something and that everyone else is taking the one supplement I should!

Thanks again for your replies x

Flapjack that's the trap I fell into unfortunately, there was nothing wrong with my natural cycle (11 day FP, 15 day LP give or take) and messing with it has cost me our chances a few months and caused a ton of stress waiting for delayed Ov - in my case a little bit of knowledge was not a good thing. My partner works offshore so we have BD timing challenges and it's been a nightmare :cry:

Soy does have side effects, and can be a bad idea for people who are "oestrogen dominant" so please do plenty of reading before you try it, some of this herbal stuff is the major ingredient in prescription meds but without the rigorous testing that prescription meds are subjected to.

Vitamin B complex (esp B6) is recommended for people who want a longer LP, if nothing else it should do no harm, and might give you an energy boost.

Sorry you had a bad experience flapjack...I have seen a naturopath when I first started ttc a couple years ago and all she gave me was acupuncture and a supplement to strengthen egg quality. I didn't stick with it bc I thought I would get pg naturally anyway. So I will try again with a new one, if nothing else I hope it will help with stress-we have stress in common it seems! If I hear anything earth shattering at the naturopath I'll let you know, good luck if you take the soy, hope it helps!

Thanks, I'm still unsure what to do, but think I'll give the B vitamins a go for this month at least. If there's any news I'll let you know! x

Hi everyone

Last cycle I started taking vitamin B6 to help lengthen my LP and CoEnzyme Q10 to improve the quality of my eggs. My normal LP is approx 10 days but last cycle it went up to 14 days. My temps were very encouraging too but still no BFP.

I've just had the results back from another CD21 blood test that I asked my doctor to do again and he said that I had definitely OV'd and my results were 55?????

I questioned my GP about my 10 day LP and he just shrugged it off like it wasn't a problem but I kinda knew that he would. I'm still wondering about Progesterone cream though, what does everybody else think?

I'm also quite a bit over weight and I mentioned this also and he didn't seem bothered about it but I mentioned estrogen and he shrugged again. I must say that my GP used to work mainly in IVF and Gynae so I do trust what he says but I'm still confused.

Oh the 21 day results at 55 are good aren't they? I don't think you need progesterone cream based on that...but I could be wrong. And well done on increasing your LP! I think everything you've got sounds good, so I would just keep doing what you're doing and try to keep positive.

I've bought some CoEnzyme Q10 today off Amazon, but they take about three months to kick in so I gather how long have you been taking them? I need to find a B vitamin that doesn't contain folic acid, which one are you taking? I'm toying with the idea of Maca now after all the reading I've done, but think I might be overdoing it and searching for that 'magic pill' again...LOL

Oh the 21 day results at 55 are good aren't they? I don't think you need progesterone cream based on that...but I could be wrong. And well done on increasing your LP! I think everything you've got sounds good, so I would just keep doing what you're doing and try to keep positive.

I've bought some CoEnzyme Q10 today off Amazon, but they take about three months to kick in so I gather how long have you been taking them? I need to find a B vitamin that doesn't contain folic acid, which one are you taking? I'm toying with the idea of Maca now after all the reading I've done, but think I might be overdoing it and searching for that 'magic pill' again...LOL

I brought just plain old Vitamin B6 from the health food shop but I'm also taking Pregnacare. I also brought some Maca powder but it tastes disgusting so I'm having to re-think that one lol. Looks like we're pretty much thinking along the same lines.

The reason it takes "3 months" is because it takes that long for an egg to mature before it's released from the follicle. So you need to do something like CoQ10 for that long so you can see the final results/effect.

I better get taking it quick then!!
And congratulations Starsign, you're my inspiration on this! x :)

I better get taking it quick then!!
And congratulations Starsign...
Thanks for the congrats:flower:

I've been to the doctor who gave me the 21 day blood test and everything came back fine apart from my progesterone levels which came out at 20. However, I did ov late that cycle, (around day 16/17) so think my level would have been higher, but not as high as I would like!
I have a LP of 10/11 days with spotting on day 11 and AF on day 12.

So, I have been referred to FS but my appointment is not until Feb 2012!! As I can't get to see anyone any earlier, I want to try all that I can to increase my chances of getting pregnant before that date.

I'm currently taking Omega 369 and Fertility Plus for women, which contains all the B vitamins, but hasn't lengthened my LP yet. I don't know if I should take Soy, Agnus-castus, progesterone cream, or all three!

Sorry for the long ramble, but if anyone could offer my any advice or share their experiences it would be really useful because the internet is so full of conflicting stories.

x

Since your progesterone levels are quite good (peak would be halfway thru LP. Yours is 10 days, so 5dpo is your target with a LP of 10 or 11 --> 16/17 + 5dpo= Day 21 or 22). Happenstance, the test was taken at the right time:thumbup:

Hokay, so soy is nature's clomid but can bring on a stronger ovulation depending on how it's taken. Vitex/angus cactus usually is taken to help regulate things if you have PCOS or have high FSH. Progesterone can help a number of things, but since your levels are fine- it won't lengthen your LP.

Of the three, I don't see your need any of them. So, B-complex would be the route I'd take for the LP. And it'll take still 2-3 cycles (at the right dose) to see the impact. Looking at the list of B's in the Fertility Plus vs. a B-100 complex, the Plus is 5x's less potent (B's are 20mg vs. 100mg). I'd go with the regular B-100 complex vitamin supplement.
https://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-B-100-Complex-300-Capsules
https://www.marilynglenville.com/supplements/fertility_plus_women_men.htm
:thumbup:

Thank you!
That's what I figured I'd do along with taking the CoQ10 to help the quality of my eggs and the maca because it can't hurt right? That's if I can stand the taste! :)

Thank you!
That's what I figured I'd do along with taking the CoQ10 to help the quality of my eggs and the maca because it can't hurt right? That's if I can stand the taste! :)
Yep, def to the CoQ10 (there's some high absorption liquid stuff that LL found at Costco that's awesome if you can get a hold of it or don't have some already). The maca...works in similar ways as vitex. Since your cycles and ovulation are good...see if you can stomach the smell. If you can't, then that a good sign that it's not for you.:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->