SPD I need some help

OmarsMum

Reaction score
Omar is not diagnosed with SPD, it's all private here and quite expensive.

He had several sensory issues when he was younger but it seems that with the help of school and at home he is getting over them and he showing loads of progress

The only thing that we cant tackle is food. He is very picky when it comes to food, I'm a health coach and I know now to add nutrition to his food which is not an issue when it comes to nutrition, he is healthy and rarely gets sick.

But feeding himself freaks him out, it ends up with huge tantrums, he knows how to use cutlery, but he will not feed himself, he doesnt like his hands to get messy with food, even with using the spoon or a fork he keeps thinking what if I mess myself or my clothes

He doesnt touch food at school and he told me clearly if I send a packed lunch with him he will not go to school anymore

I tried bribery, stickers, leaving him without food but none worked.

He has issues with texture, he eats certain types of food, he will not eat any raw veggies or fruits, so he gets those from smoothies.

They have cooking classes at school, he started to join in recently, but he packs what he made for us to eat.

He is not bothered with messy play although he hated it when he was younger, but with loads of sensory play he got over it.

I ask him to help with cooking but he feels like throwing up and he runs away.

He will not eat if others are eating, and will not sit with the family on the dining table, he hates restuarants and the smell of food there.

Anyone went through something similar? How can asessment and OT helps in this? A session of assessment costs US $ 200 and each OT session cost US $ 300

I don't know what an ot would suggest but can sympathise my daughter is so fussy with what she eats and toppings of any kind are not allowed she will not eat any meat either or basically anything new

We are in a similar situation with Oscar (diagnosed ASD). He is petrified of food and only eats a handful of things and wont even try anything else. He wont touch any foods that arent in his "acceptable" list and screams and pulls his hair if someone comes near with an unfamiliar food.

We have looked for help from OT who were pretty useless and said that we just need to start putting new foods on a seperate plate at meal times next to his usual plate of food so that its in his proximity (yeah right) and gradually build it up so that he allows us to put new foods in his plate which would eventually lead to acceptance of the food etc blah blah they have no idea at all.

No advice because nothing works for us. He is a fussy eater, scared if foods, scared of textures and thats that! Not a lot we an do about it until he is old enough to actually understand a lot more about food (his comprehension is currently terrible).

Best of luck, I sincerely hope you manage to find some useful advice from OT (or anyone!) because I know how frustrating it is!

Hiya,

I don't have any specific experience with the eating issues, but we did see an OT and ST for my son when we were living in Dubai. We paid much, much less for initial assessment and sessions than you noted - where have you been looking?

Are you in Dubai or one of the other Emirates? We were in Dubai there are some good OT's on the Al Wasl Road - I can dig out the names of the places... There is usually a wait list to get into the the good therapists.

As I said I don't know anything about your son's specific issues, but I would say if you find a good OT I have been quite amazed at the range of issues they are able to tackle. It does sound like it may still be sensory. Also, have you checked to see whether there are any good therapists focused on feeding issues (I know they exist just not sure about the UAE)...?

Hope you find a solution - let me know if you want more contacts on OT's in Dubai... :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Hi, thanks.

I went to kids in motion, was told AED 600 for a consultation apt without the child, then an assessment for 1 hour will cost AED 700. Therapy will cost AED 600 per hour and each session is 2 hrs. They have packages but I didn't ask about their prices.

I honestly don't want to go through this route unless I know for sure there is going to be a noticeable progress.

Other than eating as in feeding himself and a limited diet in terms of textures, most of his other sensory issues are gone or under control.

This is why I'm asking here if anyone had success in food related SPD by seeking the help of an OT. He doesn't need a dietician as I know how to add nutrients to his diet and he doesn't have any weight related issues.

If they will ask me to add new foods to his plate or leave food infront of him all day etc etc. I'm honestly not interested to see an OT

What's a feeding therapist? Loool. I'm a nutrition &health coach but I honestly can't do much about it, other than adding nutritious food to his diet, I feel stuck.

We dont have an appropriate dietician in our area, hence why we were encouraged to ask the OT at his appointments about his feeding habits but they honestly didnt have anything helpful to say and their advice certainly didnt correspond to his needs!

I have absolutely no idea what the advice would be from a private OT and Im not sure what the conversion rate is but it sounds expensive?! If it is not causing him any harm at the mo I would personally persevere a little while longer and see how he gets on. :hugs:

We dont have an appropriate dietician in our area, hence why we were encouraged to ask the OT at his appointments about his feeding habits but they honestly didnt have anything helpful to say and their advice certainly didnt correspond to his needs!

I have absolutely no idea what the advice would be from a private OT and Im not sure what the conversion rate is but it sounds expensive?! If it is not causing him any harm at the mo I would personally persevere a little while longer and see how he gets on. :hugs:

Thanks for your reply Hun, no it's not causing him any harm really, he eats well and his diet is balanced with no junk. But I feel bad for him especially at school, he spends 7 hrs without food there :nope:

Even when I tried to pack things he will eat on his own like popcorn he refused to touch it there :(

It is expensive ! And with tuition fees here I honestly don't feel comfortable to spend additional money on something that might not work or help.

My 7yr old has SPD. OT (here in the US anyway) is 9 out of 10 times the treatment. Usually weekly sessions. An OT can evaluate and see what areas they are seeking/avoiding. There are actually 7 sense but most people only know the 5.

I thought my dd was just tactile or oral but shes actually in all areas.

i know my comment inst much help to your original question, but when i was in elementary, i threw out my lunch every single day as i dont and still dont to this day like packed lunches. i survived 7 hours without food lol. just a good breakfast, snacks after school and nice dinner

i know my comment inst much help to your original question, but when i was in elementary, i threw out my lunch every single day as i dont and still dont to this day like packed lunches. i survived 7 hours without food lol. just a good breakfast, snacks after school and nice dinner

Loool glad to know he's not the only who hates packed lunches :haha:

He eats well before he goes to school, sometimes I even give him a hot meal for breakfast :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->