Special School or Mainstream for autism?

Zoe's the same way and she has been assigned a 2-to-1 educational assistant indoors, and 1-to-1 educational assistant outdoors. She is a severe flight risk, climber, balancer, etc, which is why she has been assigned to these specifications. She also has the sensory difficulties and will be providing a sensory corner for her.

Don't worry hun, all will be okay. Get her into her necessary therapies now so that you have other advocates who can attest to her needs and will help get her the support she needs.

My son does various things at school which helps and a one-one helper. He is mainstream and doing really well with the topics and values within the school. He is very popular with the other children so I would be happy to keep him mainstream. I think see how it goes is the best step x

Hi hun,

I personally think it depends where on the spectrum your child is and also the age of the child. There was a real range amongst the children my son started nursery with, some went straight to special schools, both of moderate and severe learning impairment, others to mainstream with support.

In my experience with my 15 year old son, his early days were at a speech and language nursery which we combined with the attached mainstream nursery with support that took us to age 5. He then went to a very small mainstream school that had a unit, which was basically a total special needs class that was part of the primary school but had the full support of specially trained staff and everything the children needed. We then moved borough's and he started at a moderate special needs school with and asd unit where he has been to date.

My friend's son is high functioning asperger and just managed through up to secondary although struggled with the noise of the classroom but secondary mainstream was an absolute no no. The big difference was the social setting, it suddenly changes and the gap seems to widen exposing their vulnerability and abilities. He is now at special school for asperger kids, who are all high functioning, doing exams and focusing on social skills which is what is missing at mainstream level. It is out of borough and is being funded by borough at a huge cost.

My advice to you would be to take a deep breath, I remember the early days very well, and what you have just described is a tough time. Go and have a look at a couple of special schools in your area see what you think, likewise with any mainstream schools. In the mainstream, ask them how they include asd pupils, what level of asd training and knowledge they have.

If mainstream is suggested, without a doubt ensure the person who supports your child has had a degree of training specifically regarding asd.

Please feel free to ask if there is anything else I can help with. x :hugs:

The best Place to start it to contact your local Parent Partnership Service (details will be on you county council website).... They can tell you EVERYTHING about the processes involved and you will be advised by professionals to contact them.

Don't nesseccarly listen to the professionals. Over the last 5 yrs Labour bought an "inclusive initiative" into force where by proffessional were bound to favour mainstream in their assessments of a child. The coalition have now taken action to change this (thank god!) but unfortunatly there is a loop hole in this. Parents are now given the opportunity to choose the school they attend whether it be mainstream or special school as part of the Statutary Assessment Process BUT if you'r choice is different to that that the panel advise, it will go back to panel, they could say no and in 6 weeks time you could find yourself at tribunal fighting your case.
....So yes, you do need to fight for most things!

You will also need a statement of educational needs for your LO to attend a Special school. If LO ends up going to mainstream then the school can apply for Additional Educational Needs Funding (AEN) which pays for 1-2-1 support.

I really hope things work in your favour. It's such a worrying time. Definatly contact parent partnership though, they really are a god send xxx

I said mainstream however our school has a special unit in it - so if he needs some help from the special unit then that will happen. But for now R is starting mainstream in September, and we'll see what happens. thankfully our school has a very good reputation and they keep in very close contact with parents.

Fantastic advice ladies, thank you so much. I'm so flappy at the moment I don't even know what titles half the staff dealing with Lauren have :-(
With having her twin to contend with (going through terrible twos) and a three month old who's just had an operation, I need to get my head round this all, but I feel like I'm being swept along and I don't know what's happening

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->