• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Speech development is not currently on track...

OK, time for another update. The frequency of word usage for Leo is still low. However, it's not unusual to hear him pop out a word he's never said before and certain words are getting incorporated into his more regularly used vocabulary. He's taking off with it (at his pace) and I suspect that by 2, he'll be pairing words together. I'm also starting to decipher his language a bit as well. He says "hat" as "at" and the following words all sound the same: trash, orange, and wash. It's really cool to be seeing his language develop. It's very different from how Violet's language developed and it's fun to see. So I don't know that I can capture all of his words as his vocabulary is definitely rapidly expanding, but here are some things I can think of off the top of my head that he has said. And of course very few of these words were said with articulation clear enough for a stranger to understand:
  1. This (first word)
  2. Mom (or mama)
  3. Dada
  4. dog
  5. duck
  6. wash
  7. orange
  8. trash
  9. up
  10. Nana
  11. Banana (said the same as "Nana")
  12. apple
  13. hat
  14. uh huh
  15. yes
  16. no
  17. ho ho ho!
  18. yay!
  19. attempted to say "Sprocket" (The name of my sister's new dog)

On top of that, there are a number of signs and gestures he incorporates into his communications:
  1. wave for hello, goodbye, and goodnight
  2. pointing
  3. sign for "potty"
  4. sign for "open"
  5. sign for "more"
  6. sign for "milk"
  7. sign for "water"
  8. sign for "food"
  9. head shake
  10. nodding
  11. putting his hand on his crotch or indicating toward his diaper
  12. et cetera...
I need to teach him the sign for "help."

Leo keeps going through these phases were I think "Oh good, he is making progress!" And then those moments just sort of fade or plateau... There was a while where he was starting to say new words, but the thing is, they didn't really get absorbed into his working vocabulary. Or at least most of them didn't. His regular working vocabulary consists of: mama, dada, and up as well as a set of sounds that don't have a specific meaning, such as saying "es" when he points to things. He makes the occasional "ba," or "moo" sound and occasionally pants to mean dog. This morning, he actually did say "-at" and then put a diaper on his head. He also will sometimes say "nana" with varying degrees of intended meaning. If you ask him to, he'll say his version of "duck." For a while, he was saying "Oush" to mean trash, orange, or wash. He still makes that sound, but with less specific meaning. You can see the list above of what he was saying around Christmas and he learns signs easily. He probably knows about 10 signs and likely could know more if we were more active with teaching and using them with him. But it just seems like he should be saying more... or at least more regularly using what he does have. And if a word is too hard, he won't even try to say it. Even simple words can take some coaxing. Recently, I taught him the sign for "nut," but also tried to get him to say it. I could get him to try, but a word like "Violet," his sister's name, he won't even attempt.

Edit: He did say "apple" a few times yesterday, but he hadn't said it in so long that I don't consider it part of his regular working vocabulary at this point.

I think Leo has firmly made his way into the "low average" range. I do wonder about how he says things though.

How is your son now that a year has passed? Our son is 17 months and has 10-12 words and tons of pointing with an intonation is his voice as if he is asking a question all throughout the day. I answer as much and often as I can :)

His words

Mama
Dadda
Bubba (nickname for him)
nana (banana)
Uh uh (meaning no and shakes head)
waves bye
ice ( he has said it right a few times...too cute)
Up
Off
Hi
moo, as in moo moo (another nickname for him)
Vava (for Valla, his sister)

So funny, a bit ahead of where our daughter was at 18 months...he had 3 words and was pointing before 1. I can't wait for his explosion!!!

Oh, he caught up quite quickly after two. He talks plenty and people frequently comment on how articulate he is.

That's great to hear. He was obviously right on track. I'm surprised that our son, 17mo, just said his first two word phrase the other day. "No more" when I was putting some cream on him. haha

Yeah... at 17 months, Leo was acting like he was going through a developmental stage that lead to a vocabulary explosion for Violet when she was 17 months. Instead of a vocabulary explosion at 17 months, Leo simply said his 2 words more frequently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"