speech problems

mummy_channon

Reaction score
hiya,
my son is 3 years and 4 months and he cannot for the life of him pronounce the letters F, V, Y or Z so any words with these letters in come out all wrong (including his brothers name)
he goes to school in sep and i have been told (by a friend) he should grow out of it when he gets there but im a little worried,
he is booked in to see a doc to be refered to a speech therapist on tues but i just wondered if n e 1 on here has had the same problems with any of theirs! also he still dribbles a lot and im not sure that that is right either and im wondering if they are linked?
any help would be great!

Yes, I have been experiencing this too.

I put my daughter into French Immersion kindergarten. At the beginning, the teacher suggested that my daughter be assessed. Well, I understood what my daughter was saying and just thought it had to do with shyness and being put on the spot when asked a question in class. And, also because she was just learning some french. I told the teacher to wait 6 months. 6 months went by and the teacher suggested it again so my daughter was assessed. The speech therapist said that her sounds were normal and with direction, she would be fine.

We moved and I put my daughter to normal english for Grade 1. Unfortunately, the French Immersion the year before put her behind a bit. Once again, the Grade 1 teacher mentioned speech therapy assessment. Turns out my daughter will be seeing a speech therapist starting in April.

Now, the preschool teachers are talking about my son seeing a speech therapist before he starts kindergarten next year. He started talking at an earlier age than my daughter and more clearer too. But I tend to think that he copies the grammar that his sister uses.

The sad thing is that I didn't think that I should correct my children's grammar as I thought that all came with kindergarten. I just didn't want to nag, you know? Turns out that one should correct them earlier.

So, yes, I am going through this.

I bought a preschool - grade 3 Phonics kit and will be working on my children on a frequent basis pretty soon! Perhaps a suggestion too for you :)

both my boys couldnt pronounce sl sw f v and probably a few other words and have only really just started 2 get them right since been at school so dont worry 2 much i'm sure its fine oh and the dribble thing one of mine did till he was almost 4 but grew out of it. good luck.

both my boys couldnt pronounce sl sw f v and probably a few other words and have only really just started 2 get them right since been at school so dont worry 2 much i'm sure its fine oh and the dribble thing one of mine did till he was almost 4 but grew out of it. good luck.

thanks for the help, so bascically yours are exactly the same as mine which is good to know!! i appreiate the help

Yes, I have been experiencing this too.

I put my daughter into French Immersion kindergarten. At the beginning, the teacher suggested that my daughter be assessed. Well, I understood what my daughter was saying and just thought it had to do with shyness and being put on the spot when asked a question in class. And, also because she was just learning some french. I told the teacher to wait 6 months. 6 months went by and the teacher suggested it again so my daughter was assessed. The speech therapist said that her sounds were normal and with direction, she would be fine.

We moved and I put my daughter to normal english for Grade 1. Unfortunately, the French Immersion the year before put her behind a bit. Once again, the Grade 1 teacher mentioned speech therapy assessment. Turns out my daughter will be seeing a speech therapist starting in April.

Now, the preschool teachers are talking about my son seeing a speech therapist before he starts kindergarten next year. He started talking at an earlier age than my daughter and more clearer too. But I tend to think that he copies the grammar that his sister uses.

The sad thing is that I didn't think that I should correct my children's grammar as I thought that all came with kindergarten. I just didn't want to nag, you know? Turns out that one should correct them earlier.

So, yes, I am going through this.

I bought a preschool - grade 3 Phonics kit and will be working on my children on a frequent basis pretty soon! Perhaps a suggestion too for you :)

thanks for the advice! good luck to you and your children and ill look into the phonics kit!

hi there ive not got children yet but... my little brother could not say his F, V, Y,Z or t's and he could not say my name without frustrating himself...
he was like this till his year 1 at school... the school really helped him and now he is much better... still struggles with the word Fireman..

:) hope all goes well x

I work as a speech therapist in the local schools and right now none of these sounds are too concerning that he does not have them. The only one that he should have and doesn't is the y and that comes in at 3. But it is typical error to make and most kids will get it without any difficulties. The f sound isn't expected to produced correctly until 3 years 6 months typically, z not until 4 years 6 months typicall, and v not until 6 years. It sounds like a typical development. But every speech therapist looks at speech sound development differently.

My daughter had the same troubles when she was 3 and went to see a speech therepist once a week but to be honest found it all corrected itself when she started at nursery and school. She is now 10 and her speech is perfect so i really wouldnt worry at all. All kids develope their speech at their own pace xx

My 9 year old son has problems with his speech, its now just starting to sort its self out, although he does still struggle with some letters.

He was referred to hospital speech therapy when he was 5 yrs old which he attended once a week for 6 week sessions. But they didnt think it was helping him much so they transfered him to a different school with a speech and language resource unit for one to one speech therapy every day. He was there 2 years and now (last september) moved back to his old school.

My 4 year old is showing signs of needing speech therapy to and has problems with words beginning with F, he says M (ie Fish Fingers - Mish Mingers).

He starts Infant School in September so we have decided to wait and see if it corrects itself then before we send him to speech therapy (we dont need a doctors referal this time as Michael already attends). He was born deaf which corrected itself, so we were expecting him to have problems with his speech.

I was told by a friend to try the jolly phonics sets but they didnt work for Michael made him more confused. Although my 6 year old has taken to them really well.

I work as a speech therapist in the local schools and right now none of these sounds are too concerning that he does not have them. The only one that he should have and doesn't is the y and that comes in at 3. But it is typical error to make and most kids will get it without any difficulties. The f sound isn't expected to produced correctly until 3 years 6 months typically, z not until 4 years 6 months typicall, and v not until 6 years. It sounds like a typical development. But every speech therapist looks at speech sound development differently.

you are exactly who i was looking for! an actual speech therapist,i appreciate you replying and u have really made me relax about it! i was so hung up on it coz i was worried about him being bullied at school or being left behind in class but if u think he is preetynormal then i'm happy! thanks so much!!!

and to anyone else who replied thank you to you too! and i wish u and your children good luck!

I am having my daughter undergo a complete hearing test. She's been complaining that her ears are plugged. There could be an issue, or it could be an excuse from her, but I sure would like to rule it out now.

My son also has speech difficulties..most often with adding extra letters into his words and not pronouncing some such as S is F and L is T....and a new one he has problems with we practiced tonight is SPLASH he says SFLASH.

He starts Kindergarten in Sept. He has seen a speech therapist BUT he just seemed to get overly frusterated with her touching his face to make him move his mouth the proper way and getting him to continously repeat words until he got them right.

We have been working on his words with some workbooks and flashcards and through everyday conversation which seems to be helping to an extent.

OMG mummy_channon you have just described my son down to a T, my son cannot pronounce these as well as his s's he 2 dribble his is excessive and i have to change his clothes around 4 times a day at least, he to starts school in september, well this wednesday actually and i am terrified about him being bullied :cry:, here there is a 12 month waiting list for speach therapy :cry:, he did time to talk at nursery and they are now considering statementing him :cry: which i know he doesn't need.
If you have any hints or tips please contact me :hug:

my daughter struggles with v's and L's and the occasional S..... shes a few months older. Nursery arent worried though they said it was common and she will grow out of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->