Spelling/usage error- would you want to know?

Warby

Mom of four monkey-moos
Reaction score
If you repeatedly made the same error in your business documents, would you want someone to point it out to you?

Someone I know has a home-based business and she does a lot of advertising on Facebook. She frequently includes photos of upcoming products, labelling them as "sneak peaks".

I am certain that she intends to refer to "sneak peeks", as she is providing an early viewing, not a mountaintop or the highest point of something. While "peak" is not used correctly in this case, it is a correctly spelled word so spellcheck does not catch it.

Every time I see it on her business page, I notice the error. I don't want to embarrass her, but if our roles were reversed, I would want someone to tell me that I was making an error.

What would you do...let her know or keep quiet?

I would but i'm dyslexic so cant see my errors easily, i will rely on spell check. If it was just something that was in everyday usage such as status on comment on own page rather than buisness i wouldent bother. It irritates me when people make a status and people put in grammar and spelling corections in comments just to make person feel stupid when that person my be better at other things (it really effects peoples confidence) I would just send her a private msg and just say you noticed and knew it was probably spell check but just wanted to let her know as for her buisness

I would but i'm dyslexic so cant see my errors easily, i will rely on spell check. If it was just something that was in everyday usage such as status on comment on own page rather than buisness i wouldent bother. It irritates me when people make a status and people put in grammar and spelling corections in comments just to make person feel stupid when that person my be better at other things (it really effects peoples confidence) I would just send her a private msg and just say you noticed and knew it was probably spell check but just wanted to let her know as for her buisness

That's my worry too- I don't want to make her feel bad, and I wouldn't dream of saying anything if it was just a personal page. But since it is her business page (separate from her personal page), clients are seeing it. Thanks for your feedback.

Could you just send her a text or something saying just wanted to let you know that auto correct has changed peeks to peaks in your ad.

You don't need to mention that it's happened a lot and it also implies that you don't think it's her that's made the mistake.

If it was my business, I would want to know.

yes - point it out to her privately. i would be put off using a business with spelling errors on its page so i think it's important.

I'd want to know. my boss pointed out an error I kept making, felt like an idiot at the time, but I'm glad she did.

Yep I agree, let her know tactfully and privately :thumbup:

I would definitely want to know. I would let her know tactfully and I'm sure she will appreciate it :thumbup:

i would let her know too - like what pp has said about saying autocorrect or something, and just mention you noticed to today, rather than a lot...

As long as its done privatly i am sure she would appreciate it. I would.

Could you just send her a text or something saying just wanted to let you know that auto correct has changed peeks to peaks in your ad.

You don't need to mention that it's happened a lot and it also implies that you don't think it's her that's made the mistake.

If it was my business, I would want to know.

^^^ This.

I see spelling mistakes like this all the time, I never point it out because I know I'll sound obnoxious! But in a business situation I would mention because I think it's important - personally it puts me off a business if they have spelling errors in their adverts, it shows a lack of attention to detail. It's not a case of judging someone for not having perfect spelling skills, but for not checking through and getting someone they can trust to proof read it.

I'm dyslexic so I make mistakes all the time, I hate it when people on Facebook feel the need to correct my spelling, but equally it annoys me when other spell things wrong lol.

However, as a business, I do think she should have correct spelling and grammar. I would spend a private message just pointing it out but don't make it into a big deal and certainly let her know it's always like that. I actually didn't know the difference haha ... So I wouldn't know at all. To defend myself though I have a degree with 2.1 with no help or allowance, so my spelling can't be too bad, although I don't think the majority of people have great English skills these days.

I think I'd want to know if it was me with it being a business. There's lots of people who subconsciously or consciously associate bad spelling with a lack of care with spelling and a lack of care with spelling to a lack of care about the business and customers. I'd never tell someone publicly though. A private message is always best.

I'm dyslexic so I make mistakes all the time, I hate it when people on Facebook feel the need to correct my spelling, but equally it annoys me when other spell things wrong lol.

However, as a business, I do think she should have correct spelling and grammar. I would spend a private message just pointing it out but don't make it into a big deal and certainly let her know it's always like that. I actually didn't know the difference haha ... So I wouldn't know at all. To defend myself though I have a degree with 2.1 with no help or allowance, so my spelling can't be too bad, although I don't think the majority of people have great English skills these days.
im the same, i got my degree, teaching qualiforcation and eyps with no help. With buisness i think its good to proof read. Its the people who make comments on grammar and spelling as if its a sign of intelligence lol. I have friends who do that along with use every long word they can to spout of some view thinking they are superior haha.

I actually read the op and didn't recognise the mistake till it was pointed out. I was sat there thinking what's wrong with that?! I'm sure I would've known at one stage that it was wrong, but it am out of practice now.
But yes, I would want someone to tell me and would thank them for doing it if it meant people took my business more seriously

I'd tell her.

But then, because of the name of this thread, I'm itching to point out errors here too. (Only because I just love the irony of it)

I really should have been a schoolteacher :haha:

Seriously though, from a business point of view I think spelling and grammatical errors are very unprofessional.

But then, because of the name of this thread, I'm itching to point out errors here too. (Only because I just love the irony of it)

Now you've got me curious. What's wrong with the wording of the thread title? I will grant that the dash is not used correctly, but that is because I wanted to communicate the thread idea quickly with fewer characters. And I suppose that "peak" is not a spelling error, but rather a word usage error.

Now you've got me curious. What's wrong with the wording of the thread title? I will grant that the dash is not used correctly, but that is because I wanted to communicate the thread idea quickly with fewer characters. And I suppose that "peak" is not a spelling error, but rather a word usage error.

Lol, nothing wrong with the thread title, I meant with the errors in some of the follow up posts. People making errors....saying they would tell someone about errors....because they would want to know.......Ok, I'll get my coat :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->