Spelling/usage error- would you want to know?

If I knew her well enough to say something, yes I'd tell her. I'm sure she'd rather be aware of such a mistake if it's a business page.

Actually, I have the best plan. Send me the facebook link and I'll tell her. I already want to and I haven't even seen it :haha:

I bet I made errors lol, and I was a school teacher. Mind you I find it worse when I am on phone. I was very careful not to make mistakes with children and was a very good example as they saw me use a dictionary so they knew it was good to use one.

Question ... Those who find others bad spelling/grammar annoying, is it a distraction?

I know I struggle with my dyslexia to read some things; text speech, no punctuation, and general lazy speech, I guess because I don't read the same way most people do, I don't get phonetics, I learnt to read by remembering what words said, rather than actually reading them, of that makes sense. It doesn't annoy me,but I usually skip it as it takes me a long time for my brain to translate it lol.

However, it also means that if the word looks right at first glance, I think it is, and because I'm too lazy to proof read informal things. Do you guys find it frustrating when you read badly spelt words? Or do you simply notice them?

I just notice them, Eternal!

The only one that 'annoys' me as such is 'collage' for 'college' :haha:

Maybe mention to the lady nicely/suggest autocorrect? xxx

I just notice them too. It would only be annoying or frustrating if it was every other word in a formal situation and I couldn't understand what the person was trying to say (or what the business was trying to say if it's a business).

I would want to know too. I am sure that I make many, many mistakes on here and on my facebook but I use neither to communicate with customer, potential clients or the like so therefore my writing is informal and I don't mind having the odd (lots) mistake.

I'm a special education teacher and all of my students have learning disabilities. I know that spelling, grammar, punctuation and usage don't come easily to a lot of people. I notice errors when others make them (and when I make them) Sometimes I know that they are typos, sometimes due to rushing. If it is a casual or personal venue, I don't say anything.

Business, though, I do tend to form a bit of a negative perception if there are errors in professional documents. Once I got a flyer for a housekeeping service, inviting me to hire their "uninformed workers". I found that puzzling; why would I want to hire someone who was not informed about relevant information? I thought about it and wondered if they meant "uniformed", as is "wearing a uniform".

I'd mention it. Poor spelling/grammar in business communications comes across as unprofessional.
But yeah I'd do it privately. No-one likes a grammar nazi :lol:

If it were my business, I would want to know if something on my page was incorrectly spelled, incorrectly used, or incorrectly punctuated. Little mistakes like that can be very offputting to potential clients. I would pm her to let her know, as others have mentioned. I'm sure she will appreciate being able to fix the mistake on her page, as it can potentially impact her client base.

To pp regarding whether it's just something that's noticed or whether it's an actual distraction when reading, it's just something I tend to notice as I read. It can be a bit distracting if it's coming from a business who should make sure their information is correctly typed, because I expect more professionalism in that sense than from personal posts.

From a customers point of view, if I were see something like that in someone's advertising, it might throw me off as a sign of laziness, or lack of professionalism, and I probably wouldn't use their service/buy from them.

With that in mind, if I were running a business, I would definitely want to know. Letting her know through a polite private message should avoid a lot of embarrassment.

Though, tbh, for non-business things, I tend to be very forgiving about errors like that, since we all make them. But if you're trying to run a business, you need to be a little more on top of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->