spending too much?!

biscuitnodles

very cautiously pregnant
Reaction score
Hello,

Am I spending too much on baby things?! I seem to be spending around £100-£150 per month on Nappies, Wipes, Clothes, Toys, Books, Moses Basket, Sheets, Blankets, Toiletries etc and I have not even got the big things like the pram and the cot yet!!

What are other people's budgets? Should I cut down on my spending?!

We tried for 3years to get pregnant (this is our first) and I can't help thinking that I'm going to enjoy baby shopping in case this is our only baby as we might have more trouble conceiving in the future.....

We all have different budgets.

We do not have one, never had with Anna. We bought stuff as and when we wanted.

If you have the money then spend what you want. However if that is money that you have saved really, really hard for or if it could be better spent on other things at the moment then maybe stop and think.

I stocked up on nappies and wipes while pregnant (at around 30wks) I spent £90 on nappies and that done Anna til she was 10 months! It was all pampers and only bought when they were on mega offers and I had colllected vouchers from all the baby clubs so got some packs free too!

I wouldnt buy toys. books - you will be given loads as gifts!

And toiletries!!! Anna is 16 months and we are only half-way through her first bottle of Johnsons shampoo!! They last forever so only buy 1 small bottle of shampoo and bathwash!

As said before, if the money is there to be spent and wouldnt otherwise be spent on something else at the moment then go for it and enjoy!!

Just try avoid the non-essentials as a lot of money can go to waste.

A baby doesnt need much at all!:flower:

I say if you can afford it, then why not hun? If I could afford more, I'd buy more as it makes me happy and it's not like I'm going to be pregnant 100s of times. I want to enjoy every moment :) I can't afford to spend lots but I have a little budget put by for baby bits and I have a damn good time picking up nappies, wipes, vests etc :)

And completely agree with what Ellie said "As said before, if the money is there to be spent and wouldnt otherwise be spent on something else at the moment then go for it and enjoy!!"

As long as your not braking your bank doing so i see no problem, with kyle we had everything by 20weels pretty much.. This time we have not even started yet but will start adding extra nappys and teethers etc on the monthly shopping list

We don't have a budget really,i just buy when i see something i like and it's a good price. I spent over £100 this week alone on bedding,curtains,outfits etc and next week i might not buy anything .. you know how much you can spend,so if it's not an issue buy whatever you want :)

You're only spending too much if you can't afford it.

We haven't got a budget .. we're trying to calm down the spending until after the 20w scan (TUESDAY!! :dance:) cos like you we had a hard time trying to conceive and had to have IVF so we're worried about having lots of stuff around us if anything were to happen.

But saying that we've both brought a few bits lol
I tend to buy 3-6 stuff and OH tends to buy 0-3 :shrug:
He also brought a footy vest :haha:

Ohh I'm all excited now and want to go baby shopping!

:flower:

i had a lump sum of money so i had a set budget for everything baby needs. i didnt get expenisve things and got deals where i could and i have spent £2000 :S

this has bought me cotbed,mattress, bedding, wardrobe and draws and a pram with carseat. clothes(newborn 0-3 and some 3-6) baby changin unit, nappies(but i havent bought the reusuable nappies im planning on using yet)baby wipes, towels and a bath seat

things for me after the birth, mat pads and breast pads, bottles just incase and a steriliser. ive also managed to get him some presents for his first xmas

i had a lump sum of money so i had a set budget for everything baby needs. i didnt get expenisve things and got deals where i could and i have spent £2000 :S

this has bought me cotbed,mattress, bedding, wardrobe and draws and a pram with carseat. clothes(newborn 0-3 and some 3-6) baby changin unit, nappies(but i havent bought the reusuable nappies im planning on using yet)baby wipes, towels and a bath seat

things for me after the birth, mat pads and breast pads, bottles just incase and a steriliser. ive also managed to get him some presents for his first xmas

I think you've done really well! :thumbup:

I think you've done really well! :thumbup:

ive kept to a budget altho i was adding things to the list ive bought so to take it off the sum of money n i was like f*ck ive spent how much lol but it does all easily add up

We don't have a budget. We do however make sure we make very informed and well researched purchases (esp. on the bigger items) so that we are not just buying things coz we can afford it or because it looks pretty. We've been getting the bigger things in unisex colours so it can used by our future babies :) and most things I've purchased are because they are on offer.

We've spent a lot of money already but I don't feel guilty at all, because I know whereas before I would have spent it on designer handbags and shoes at £400- £500 a pop, now we are spending it all on the baby. We've got all the big items already (and most of the smaller items as well actually) so now I can concentrate on saving most of my salary for my maternity leave

Everyone has different budgets. If you can afford that then I think that is great. I know if I could then I would. Unfortunatly hubby and I right now don't have that kind of budget where we have to save for 2 months to get the larger items. And buy a couple smaller items everytime we go out. Only reason we have this tight of a budget right now is cause also having to save money for when I am on maternity leave cause I will not be getting paid for that time. There isn't any set amount on what should be spent on baby and when. As long as in the end you have the basics and baby is able to be well cared for then that is all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->