Sperm sample ulster hospital

Lisa1

Reaction score
Hi girls xx

my oh and I were referred to the ulster hospital to the fs I had bloods scan etc. Oh was sent for sperm anyalsis just wondering if anyone has been to the ulster and knows how long it takes to get the results?

My next appointment is in April and we are both worried we might not fond out till then arrrggghhhh!!! I really wanna know now, it's driving me mad.

I can't say for the Ulster but my husband had it done at our local hospital a couple of weeks ago and we got the results within a week. It was a referral from a GP, I'm not sure if that makes any difference, but it shouldn't take much longer than a week.

They need to examine the sample pretty soon after it's handed in so I'd guess it's just a matter of someone writing up the results and posting them.

Thanks stuoffer

he is just really anxious and we are worried we won't be told till the next appintment. Did they give you the numbers? Or just a letter of everything is ok?

He just had to phone reception who don't have much information, they just give "normal" or "make an appointment" type answers when you phone for test results there :(
It came back "normal" so he didn't press them for numbers. If we don't get pregnant this month though we're going back and will ask to see the numbers.

I'd be inclined to phone up and see how they give results just for a bit of peace of mind. Hopefully you'll be able to find out without having to wait for your appointment.

Good luck :)

When I handed the sample over as oh was so embarrassed )it was at the hospital) the girl said they didn't give out results as the needed to be interperated by a doctor. They would send the results to the fs so maybe I will give them a week them ring my consultant!

my hubby got one done privately at origin in belfast (£90) as the waiting list at antrim was four months! had the results within the week and they sent him out the whole results - not just a pass/fail. He has since had his free one on the nhs too, results also back within the week - but no information given other than normal. i'm due to see gynae/fertility at antrim next week after a 6 month wait!! N.I. is rediculously slow at fertility issues!

my hubby got one done privately at origin in belfast (£90) as the waiting list at antrim was four months! had the results within the week and they sent him out the whole results - not just a pass/fail. He has since had his free one on the nhs too, results also back within the week - but no information given other than normal. i'm due to see gynae/fertility at antrim next week after a 6 month wait!! N.I. is rediculously slow at fertility issues!

HI
hope you don't mind me butting in just wanted to give you my experience bout fertility issues in ni- be very careful about attending any gynae/ fertility docs other than the royal I attended the gynae in whiteabbey hospital for 5 years he did nothing and finally decided ivf was the way to go but when i went to the royal they said i was too old for funded ivf and the time spent trying only counted if you were seeing a consultant in the royal so if there is any suggestion of problems or even if there isn't ask your gp to refer you straight to the royal fertility centre , don't need to be negitive or to worry you just wanted to give you a heads up so you dion't end uo in my situation good luck x

Thanks glitterqueen - you have just confirmed what i thought - i was a bit raging cos my GP gave be a choice of antrim or the royal - and i chose the royal - when i rang the royal to find out about wait times and stuff they said they had never received my referral! the stoopid twat Gp had referred us to antrim instead!!!
My appt is next week so i am gonna go and c wot the craic is, i've waited 6 months for this appt so if hes an eejit i will flip!!!

Yes royal wouldn't look at me - was 39 at the time he just said by the time i made it up the waiting list i would be to old. We chose Care on the mainland -much better attitude to older women and great clinic. I also e-mailed Origin and am still awaiting a reply!! so that didn't impress plus stats for my age are really poor.
GP's in general have no idea about fertility issues nor do many gynae as I have discovered!
good luck xx

The Ulster does not do a detailed semen analysis I'm afraid chick, our GP referred my OH for one at the same time as referring us to the Royal for fertility treatment, her thinking was that it would mean we would have the results by the time of our first consultation at the Royal, however because the Ulster only does a simple count this wasnt the case. The Royal will require your OH to do it again at least once (and often more than once, as results can vary dramatically from test to test), as their more detailed analysis also checks mobility, morphology etc.

The Regional Fertility Clinic at the Royal is the ONLY hospital in NI with a license from the HFEA for fertility treatment, so your GP shouldn't really have offered you anywhere else!

There are however a list of blood tests you could get your GP to do for you which might be helpful to have for the first appointment, I'll try to find it and post it, as if you can take the results with you it can speed things up a little. Never post anything to the RFC - it'll never make it to your file!

I hope this doesn't put you off too much, but I wish someone had told me the following before I started going to the RFC - be prepared to fight for every treatment and appointment, to have your concerns and questions dismissed, to be left waiting far longer than told for EVERYTHING and to meet Drs with the worst "bedside manner" you can imagine. I cannot tell you how many times I left that place in tears and feeling so low and ready to give up.

Sorry, went off on one there a bit but still feels very raw! If there is anything at all you want to know, PM me anytime :hugs:

Thanks steph I really appreciate your advice xx think I'll ask to be referred to the royal. So pleased you got your sticky bean xx

Steph
sounds very similar to my experience!!
good luck Lisa hope u don't have to wait too long for that appointment x

Thanks glitter queen I'm gonna ring tomorrow to get referred to the royal! Have you started treatment on the mainland.

My DH had to leave his sample into the City Hospital and we were able to phone his GP about a week later for the results. We did just get a "normal" result and not detailed but you can request them to send you a copy of the results. But your DH needs to ask for that due to patient confidentiality. My DH and I attend different GP surgeries which is a bit of a pain but my doctor was able to tell me in more detail his results. My doctor did not refer me to a FS until we had all the necessary tests done to quicken up the process when we were referred. I attend the Ulster Hospital and at my first appointment the consultant said that my DH would have to do a SA. I had to tell them that he did one about a month ago and she had to look back on my notes to check....just shows you that they don't read up on your history before seeing you.

At the minute, I am into my 3rd month after having my HSG and I am due back in April.

You should get your first appointment within 13 weeks, as per NHS targets, however what they don't tell you is that subsequent review appointments have a waiting list of 9 - 16 months, depending on your consultant. You can get round that though by paying for a private review apt (£80-£120, again depending on your consultant, and usually held at the Ulster Independant Clinic). The consultants can put you on the NHS waiting lists at the private apts, it doesn't mean you have to go privately for all your treatment. HTH, lots of luck xx

Lisa
Hi Jusr accepted your friend request my treatment is in March, hopefully around 14th but all depends on when af shows her ugly face!

You should get your first appointment within 13 weeks, as per NHS targets, however what they don't tell you is that subsequent review appointments have a waiting list of 9 - 16 months, depending on your consultant. You can get round that though by paying for a private review apt (£80-£120, again depending on your consultant, and usually held at the Ulster Independant Clinic). The consultants can put you on the NHS waiting lists at the private apts, it doesn't mean you have to go privately for all your treatment. HTH, lots of luck xx

great post! which I had Knew that when I started x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->