Spotted for a week, now nothing

mrsbrrs

Reaction score
Good morning ladies,

when I was 4 weeks pregnant I started spotting, most of the time it was dark red or brown spotting. No cramps or pains either. Then last friday hubby and I had sex and after that it suddenly stopped. Since then I had very light spotting only when we had sex.

We even went to the ER. They said it's a threatened miscarriage.
My levels were 125.
I had very light sore nipples when I first found out that I was pregnant, now nothing except for very light morning sickness.

Bought these cheap tests from Walmart, the ones for 88 cents.
The line was very faint this morning. I am 5 weeks and 6 days today.

My first prenatal appointment isn't until July 20.

I still feel pregnant but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Sorry for venting, just need someone to talk to :(

TIA

Hi!

When were your levels 125? If that was recently, most ladies would likely have higher hcg levels than that at where you're at now, but at 4 weeks it would be normal.
The tests you show also don't look as dark as I'd expect at that stage, however, everyone is different and it's not proof of anything being wrong. A light test at 6 weeks could either be because of low hcg levels, or the 'hook effect' when levels get too high for the test to cope with, resulting in a lighter line. If it was the hook effect, diluting your urine with water should produce a darker test line.
Is there any way you may have ovulated later than you thought? You should either ask your doctor to run bloods for your hcg levels to see what's going on, or ask for an early scan due to the spotting at your EPU.
I hope all turns out well for you xxxxxxx :hugs:

If you're looking for reassurance I would go get a clear blue weeks estimator, this is the closest thing to a home test that measures levels since it says weeks since ovulation. I would think since you had risk of miscarriage they could see you earlier.

Hi!

When were your levels 125? If that was recently, most ladies would likely have higher hcg levels than that at where you're at now, but at 4 weeks it would be normal.
The tests you show also don't look as dark as I'd expect at that stage, however, everyone is different and it's not proof of anything being wrong. A light test at 6 weeks could either be because of low hcg levels, or the 'hook effect' when levels get too high for the test to cope with, resulting in a lighter line. If it was the hook effect, diluting your urine with water should produce a darker test line.
Is there any way you may have ovulated later than you thought? You should either ask your doctor to run bloods for your hcg levels to see what's going on, or ask for an early scan due to the spotting at your EPU.
I hope all turns out well for you xxxxxxx :hugs:

Hi, thank you for your answer.

My levels were 125 when I was almost 4 weeks pregnant. The doc said that it's pretty low for being almost 4 weeks.

I bought a digital clearblue test (without week estimation) and a cheapy from Walmart. I diluted the urine for the cheapy. Turned out slightly darker. The digi test says pregnant.
When i went to the loo I passed something that looks like tissue, it wasn't thick though. So I am not really sure what it was. Still no cramping or other pain.

I am going to upload pics of the tests..

If you're looking for reassurance I would go get a clear blue weeks estimator, this is the closest thing to a home test that measures levels since it says weeks since ovulation. I would think since you had risk of miscarriage they could see you earlier.

I bought a clearblue test thinking it was the one with the week estimator..got the wrong one :dohh: But it said pregnant...

They automatically put "threatened miscarriage" on your paperwork if you go to the ER if you go in with spotting or bleeding so it doesn't really mean anything in itself except that you had spotting.

One blood test on its own doesnt really mean much except that it shows pregnancy. You need at least two tests usually 24 to 48 hrs apart to show if your levels are increasing normally.

I would have expected darker lines on your tests at the point you are too but honestly there are too many variables for it to give you any definite answers. As mentioned it could be the hook effect. It is quite early for that but it does happen early for some. The fact that the line was darker when you diluted the urine seems to indicate thats a possibility.

Symptoms coming and going in the early weeks is totally normal. Some women have no symptoms at all. They often hit a bit harder and are more persistent after about 6 weeks (but it varies for everyone).

How many weeks are you now? You could go back to the ER and say you are still getting spotting they would probably do blood tests again which would give a bit more information. I am actually surprised you were not given a second lot at the time. In some places you can self refer to the EPU, in others you need a referal. If you still have spotting I would expect them to do bloods and once you are about 6 weeks a scan.

Spotting can be the begging of a miscarriage but lots of women have had spotting or even heavy bleeding and the pregnancy turned out fine. Pregnancy can make your cervix overly sensitive and cause spotting especially when you have sex. There probably wouldn't be a huge amount of tissue to see at your stage but you might see something. It could also have just been a blood clot. Tissue is generally more of a white/grey color. Blood clots are very dark colored.

If the spotting and light lines continue or you get pain you should probably get checked out again to rule out the possibility of an ectopic because they can be dangerous.

I' m hoping for the best for you. I hope you get answers soon. Limbo is awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->