• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Spotting before period arrives

CathD

Reaction score
Hi there,

Does anyone have spotting a few days before their period starts properly and has anyone ever been told by a doctor/medical professional that this is a problem? I get on average about two days of spotting before AF arrives which means that there are only about 10 days between ovulation and the start of the spotting. I know that most medics dismiss the spotting as not a problem but it must indicate some sort of hormonal change and i'm wondering whether my luteal phase is too short? Apart from that, the most annoying thing about it is that i always convince myself that it isn't my period - that it's implantation bleeding! Then i get a second disappointment when AF arrives properly! You'd think i would have learnt by now after 24 months that it isn't implantation - especially as the one time i did fall pg (ended in a mc) there was nothing!

Cath xx

Yep i get the same huni.. no idea why either.. just read quite alot of ladies have same problem too x

yeh I get that too, in fact just started today and was feeling abit hopeful too this month.

My luteal phase would be 12 days today and is normally 14/16 days when af actually arrives. Didn't really think much of it til started ttc! Hope you get an answer cos would be interested in it too. I just assumed it was old blood coming out in pre af discharge?

Is it brown or red spotting you get?

thanks ticktoc and beauty for replying. Mine's just started today too. It's brown to v.dark red (not the bright red you get when it starts properly). Don't get any cramps with it either.

Yep, I always spot for a few days before she actually shows up. Quite annoying, isn't it? :grr:

Hey ladies I spot for about 2 days before my af arrives n I know it's really annoying.. My doc is not treating me for this as he believes this is common...even am not too sure about it..I had 2 m/c in the past n till today I don't really know the reason:-(
goodluck to all

Me too! I always had it even before ttc - consultant has said its nothing to worry about and my hormone levels are all fine? I'm guessing it depends on the type of spotting/frequency/duration as to whether its an issue??

Mine is brown spotting.. how about everyone elses?
x

Hi - I get it too. It use to be 2-3 days now its 5-6 days before AF and 3-4 days after. Ive had it since I can remember - 10+ years.

I def think its the reason Im not getting pregnant - I usually start spotting on CD26 (9-10 days post Ov) and I think my LP is far too short to hold a pregnacy.

Out of all the people I know the ones that dont spot are the ones who got pregnant pretty much right away - so im almost certain its not a good sign.

DR and FS both said "oh its fine dont worry about it" but what do they know. My blood tests all came back fine too.

Im currently seeing an Chinese acupuncturist who was shocked when I told her about my long spotting - she def thinks its a problem (with My kidney and spleen - currently taking chinese herbs but they havent helped yet.

Also read BVitamins can help - tried them too - didnt work for me.

Also read raspberry leaf tea is good for toning the uterus and that the spotting can be a sign of a sluggish uterus. I might try that again. Only tried it for a few weeks last time!

After all my research I never found anything that really helps the spotting - i wish there was a miracle cure out there - then we might all get out BFP's.

Every time is arrives I too think oh maybe this is implantation and get my hopes up - only for AF to rear her ugly head :growlmad:

oh and mine is light brown with a tinge of pink for a day then darker brown for a few days (nearly black sometimes) and then the fulll red AF flow shows up. TMI sorry!

Thank you so much for starting this thread because this has been happening to me and I've been getting myself quite worried over it!
I've decided to try vit b6 to see if that helps lengthen the luteal phase, which is only about 10 days.
xxx

it's good to know that there are others with the same thing and also good to know that other doctors/FSs have said it isn't a problem either (even if we convince ourselves that it is!). I've tried the B vit thing - didn't notice any difference (apart from the luminescent pee!).

Cx

I spot anthing up to 7days before AF and have even spotted the whole LP a couple of cycles ago. Docs are not bothered! Wwe've had many discussions about this on here and noone gets any joy i'm afraid!
I did have endo and a fibroid and maybe they cause it. Aparrently the fibroid is like a sponge and soaks up the blood and so i suppose it could 'drip' before AF? Or could be the endo or nothing :shrug: who knows?

I'm feeling quite worried about this now :cry:

The thing is I've always had a few days of spotting which is gradual beige discharge to brown to pink them full period and start getting period cramps with it too. I had it on the pill too so always assumed it was just normal! And maybe it just is for me?

My following AF is usually fairly heavy, for 2-3 days then just fades off, not much brown there, maybe just the last day and its gone. Most of the time I'll get that one day of horrible cramps then its ok occasionally get a quite pain free period which is great!

I was on the pill for years from 15 onwards for heavy painful periods, which the doc said would improve the older I got which I never believed but they have lol

I had alot of problems on lots of pills, and one doc said I could have quite high hormone levels so I used to overide the pill with my own cycle after a few yrs then would have to switch to a new one. (I'm 28 in couple of days)

Should I mention to doc again? Any words of reassurance or wisdom?

I agree... its bloody annoying because it feels like there is something intrinsically wrong that the doc's aren't able to figure out. I really just don't feel I can get preggers while I've still got the spotting- it doesn't feel right- plus, when I didn't have spotting I got pregnant (with my ex though, who prob didn't have the sperm issues my partner has), but hell, maybe I'll be proven wrong oneday!!!

I hope so ; )

Hi ladies, I know this thread is old but I'm having the same problem, so was hoping someone could help :flower:

I have spotting for 4/5 days before AF.

I thought it might be low progesterone so had a blood test on 6dpo which came back fine. 3 days later I started spotting..

I wonder if my prog starts off normal but drops too soon??

I miscarried last week at 4w6d and wonder if it's low progesterone which caused this?

My fs wouldn't check my prog as he said it wasn't important :nope:

And if it low prog doesn't cause the spotting does anyone know what does??

I'm getting myself all upset about it :cry:

Hi ladies, I just wanted to add to this as I used to have this same problem, all the way through 2 years ttc and kept being told it was nothing to worry about. I would also get bleeding after BD.
After mmc this summer I went private and the consultant looked at my cervix and said it was ' a right mess', basically I had cervical erosion (old-fashioned term, I can't remember what it's called now). She cauterized it 2 days later and it hasn't really happened since. The procedure was quick, just a local anaesthetic, not exactly pleasant but straightforward.
A while after this she then also found endometriosis, so I guess this could have contributed to the spotting as well.
It could well be physical rather than hormonal. Especially if you've ever experienced a mc, plus with all the scans, poking and prodding etc we have to go through with long term ttc, I think it can cause some damage to the poor old cervix.
Worth checking anyway x

hi ladys i get this to i was just wondering if you have to class the spotting as day 1 only im having fsh levals done in a few days so what should i can day 1 bright blood or brown spotting ? x

Day 1 is proper bleeding not spotting....

And spotting can be caused by endo (if you have the other symptoms too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->