Squint in eye, and glasses?

Mrs doddy, I've heard that the surgery is to realign the squint rather than to improve eyesight. Is this true?.... Did your lo's eyesight improve with the patching alone? X

Yes that's true the patching improved the eyesight a bit but then it didn't change for quite some time so they decided it was the right time to do the op - which is in effect cosmetic surgery

Thanks mrs doddy, so worried at the thought of my ds needing surgery, so trying to figure out of its necessary. My mum had surgery on hers when she was 5 and they did a really good job. I just have a Massive eye phobia!.... I fainted once watching my mum put her contacts in lol!

It's not essential however kids at school started saying things to her , it's soon forgotten about

Alex had her squint from an early age but she also had laser eye surgery at about 3 weeks corrected age to save her sight from ROP. She needed glasses around 2, and this was to try and help the squint. They strength of her glasses have been increased over the years, but they arent crazy strong. She gets yearly/bi-yearly checkups at the eye hospital.

I will definitely go down the surgery route of needed, if my son wants it, as I can imagine a squint can make children (and adults!) self conscious.

Thanks atomic kitten, we have hosp appointment on Monday, I've been getting ds used to maybe being a pirate for a while!.... He loves his glasses so far, which is great :) x

I suffered with a squint since I was 4 and had a patch etc luckily its corrected by glasses although now ay 27 if I don't wear my glasses for long periods it returns.. my son is 5 and I only noticed he was getting one about 4 months ago we have been given glasses and it has corrected the squint when on so when he is wearing them his eyes are straight we are going back on the 11th feb for a patc so fingers crossed it will make it even better, very worrying time for us parents though xxx

We saw an orthoptist yesterday and she said my LO eyes turn in on both sides and she actually said they are not normal which I thought was a bit of a mean term to use :(
She has referred us on to see doc, and optician about treatment, I said will that be glasses and she said, most likely or operation but latter unlikely
:( feel really sad

:hugs: fairypop, that wasn't nice :(

Hazza... My mum is similar to you, no squint with glasses/contacts but massively with out.... No one knows though as she has to wear hers all the time.

My son had his 1st hosp app with the orthoptist. She said his eye sight is worse than the optition prescription and that the squint is slow to straighten up when he's focused which mean it'll likely never go :(

He has an app with consultant on weds for stronger glasses, then they might patch 6 months down the line.

Has anyone ever had to deal with putting drops in lo eyes? Any tips? X

Drop = hell on earth there's no other way to explain it other than I had to pin her down :-(

Oh no mrs doddy :(.... Dreading it! We've bought some drops to practice at home but not going well so far :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->