• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SSRIs & breast feeding. Really need some advice please!

CharCharxxx

Reaction score
My LO is coming up 15 weeks and is exclusively breast fed. I absolutely adore bf and have been enjoying my new addition so much. However I hav suffered on and off over the past 7 years with extreme generalised anxiety for which I've taken medication and had CBT which worked for a while. Anyway I was on sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg before I got pregnant and stopped it as soon as I found out and haven't been back on since. I was doing ok but since having my LO my anxiety has peeked and is having a huge impact on my life and starting to make me slightly depressed with it Which its never done before. I've been trying to ignore it as I'm absolutely terrified that if I go back on the sertraline while bf that it's going to give my baby some sort of mental health issue or effect his brain development (an example of my irrational thoughts :( ) I know they say about the benefits outweighing the risks but at the same time I'm petrified of harming the baby with these meds in my system. I don't want to give up bf either I want to do minimum 6 months but want to aim for anything up to a year if I can! Help me someone I'm desperate. Thank you x

I have been on medication for anxiety since around 35 weeks with DD (she is now 18 months and nursing at the moment). I am on clonazapam, not an SSRI (I have previously tried SSRIs, SNRIs, they didnt work. I am not depressed, I am anxious). It works well and I have seen no ill effects in either of my tandem nursing children.

Only time will tell I guess, but I would rather risk a side effect and have a happy and healthy mother than have anxiety attacks around my kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->