Started gentle potty training!

loeylo

1DD, 1 pup, WTT#2
Reaction score
Gracie has shown increasing interest in the toilet (watching us go, imitating us) and has been asking to have her nappy changed and helped us with the process (we changed her to pull ups which she takes on and off herself with a bit assistance and she wipes herself once we have done it properly)

We bought her a potty a while ago and placed it in the corner to let her get used to seeing it, she sometimes sat on it but not consistently. Last night I decided to strip her and do her bedtime book on the potty, which she peed in and then told me she had peed!

She's still really young (20 months) and we are still obviously going to keep her in pull ups, but this can't be harmful can it?

I think it's a good idea! I did cold turkey win the boys and just took their nappies away and got on with it, they were older though. I'm hoping to do it more gradually with dd, she has a potty and sits on that or the toilet, she hasn't done anything yet Though

That's great! Some kids are really tuned in to it from an early age. My DS was fully potty trained by 2 and my DD now walks to the toilet or points to the toilet door when she pees or poos so she understands that's where it goes she just can't yet understand the feeling of it about to happen.

Keep on going with it but don't push it too hard and she'll hopefully get it easily and it will be a smooth transition for all of you :)

She definitely doesn't understand when she's about to pee, but she does with poop as she always squats down. Maybe she does realise with pee too but just doesn't respond.

She is running around the house shouting "pot!" A lot, not sure if it coincides with when she does a pee as she is still in her pull ups. We call her pull ups pants and they are paw patrol ones, whenever we mention potty she shouts "Marshall off!" And claws at her pull up, so she does get what she has to do.

Sometimes we ask her if she wants to sit on her potty and she says no, so we just leave her. She does get a chocolate drop when she uses the potty but it's definitely early days. The only reason for me starting really is because I'm a teacher and we finish up for summer on Tuesday so I can get a decent run at it over the next two months.

Another question, what do I do for pants if we are doing nappy off time? She's still in 9-12 months clothes and aside from frilly knickers (which are massive as they are for over a nappy) I can't find pants in her size!

I have boys so might be different with girls but I know when ds1 was potty training he was in 12-18/18-24 month clothes (depending on brand!) and I was worried about pant sizes, aged 2 on him however fit perfect if not a little snug! If girls ones come up bigger could try boys? Not a lot different

I have boys so might be different with girls but I know when ds1 was potty training he was in 12-18/18-24 month clothes (depending on brand!) and I was worried about pant sizes, aged 2 on him however fit perfect if not a little snug! If girls ones come up bigger could try boys? Not a lot different
I picked up age 2-3 ones but they were huge! I might try a different shop or boys style. I can get her the frilly over nappy style ones but they are obviously massive on her, I can get a decent fit if I put her in 0-3m nappy pants (yes really, lol!) but the elastic is too tight.

My 18 month old has been showing interest in the potty for a few months now, I think she got interested from daycare. She goes to a small 6 child daycare at the local community centre, the daycare room is across the hall from the bathroom, so whenever one of the kids has to go to the bathroom they all go. She picked up on it from seeing the other kids do it, but she doesn't really understand. She has started to tell us when she has pooped in her diaper, sometimes she will say poop or pee and if I ask her if she wants to go to the potty she excitedly runs to the bathroom and puts the little seat on the toilet, but she hasn't yet actually gone to the bathroom in the toilet. She will sit there while we read a story or sing songs, and when she gets bored she comes off. I'm not too worried about her actually using the potty at this age, but if she thinks it's fun and interesting then I will continue to entertain it. It does get irritating some days when she is obsessed with it and I end up taking her diaper and clothes off constantly throughout the day, but I don't want to discourage her interest so I just go along with it. Hopefully we have early potty trainers on our hands!

I had a similar problem with my DD. Primark do girls underwear in 12-18 months if you're anywhere near one? They come up quite small too. My DD was in 9-12 months when she potty trained and these were fine.

Brilliant, will nip in and try there! I didn't even think of trying there!

I was going to say Primark knickers as well. My daughter was 20lb when potty trained and we bought Primark 12-18 months, shrunk them in the wash and they were perfect, lol. My daughter is long and skinny as well as small for her age so finding knickers that didn't drop off or gape open was a challenge.

I was going to say Primark knickers as well. My daughter was 20lb when potty trained and we bought Primark 12-18 months, shrunk them in the wash and they were perfect, lol. My daughter is long and skinny as well as small for her age so finding knickers that didn't drop off or gape open was a challenge.

She is really skinny too. She is lucky and got her dads frame and not mine! All her weight goes to her face. She is really short for her age as well. Not sure of weight but she is 75cm by my last measurement.

I bought her Frozen pants from B&M but they are huge. Going to put them on top of her pull ups

My daughter was fully trained by her 2nd bday and definately didnt harm her, she wanted to do it. She is tiny but some 2-3 years actually fitted from small shops. I did have some 12-18 though but cant think where from!

We had our first accident yesterday, but she knew she did it straight afterwards. We had put her pants on and made a big deal of the pants, which was a huge mistake in hindsight as she refused to take them off to go onto the potty! She realised she had wet herself immediately and said "uh oh" but then got quite upset despite us reassuring her and not making a big deal - she also didn't want to take off her pants. She wouldn't go on her potty today whatsoever (we asked her a few times, she said "no" so we just left it at that)

She did ask for her potty once (she shouts "pot") but it was actually because she had dirtied her pull up. When we cleaned her up she still wouldn't go on her potty.

We're definitely all learning together!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->