Starting all over again...am I mad?

Soldiers wife

Mother of 2 teenagers
Reaction score
Hi all

I am new here so thought I would say hello. Would love to hear from anyone who has started all over again. My kids are 17 (boy) and nearly 15 (girl). My husband and I are hoping to have a baby and will be trying from July 2010 onwards (as he is away in Oz for 4 months now).

Am I crazy for starting again at the age of 37 when the kids are nearly off my hands, we are both earning good money and maybe I should be using my wages to help the teenagers with cars and uni etc instead of being selfish and wanting a baby.

Also I will be an old mummy at the school gates and that terrifies me having been a young one first time round...gosh my head is in whirl!

xxx

I don't think there is anything wrong with having another baby. I know plenty of people who don't start trying for their 1st until 35+.

Thank you, I don't think there is either but you kind of get settled in your own routine of selfishness but I also realise if we are going to do it the old clock is ticking and I don't have much more time to debate it!

Having had my other two so young I have never experienced broodiness but my goodness I am now...it is getting ridiculous...

There's nothing wrong with that! If you and DH are up to it and healthy and all that you should go for it! You only live once!

My older sister had her first at 38 and is now pregnant at 40 with her second, and my mum had her and her twin when she was 22, my brother at 24, then me and my twin at 41! They loved having little baby sisters, and I loved having older siblings. Still do :) Do your kids know you might be trying for another? It shouldn't be their decision, but my friend's mum had a baby a few years ago and they were all SO shocked haha XD They adore their brother more than anything in the world, absolutely obsessed with him ^_^ It's crazy lol. You know them best, you'd have to judge whether or not they'd need to be prepared for it or not.
I don't think you're being selfish though, you should go for it if you both think it's right :) You might regret the decision if you don't.
Good luck xx

Go for it! You're definitely not mad. I would love if my mom had another baby (I'm 18). Just thought I'd throw that in there.

There's definitely nothing wrong with it- my mom had me at 35 and my brother at 37 and nothing was different/unusual because of her age.

And I would be thrilled at the idea of my mom having another baby, but I don't think she can anymore (she's 55 now). While it depends on the individual kid, I think they would be mature enough to realize that this is you and your husband's wish and respect that.

There is definately nothing wrong with wanting another child! My mother had me at 35 and my sister at 42 and we have never felt that we missed out on anything. Also my grandmother had my uncle and aunt and then 12 years later had my dad and then my other uncle. They all get along and it worked well for my grandparents. So I say go for it!

Go for it, my mum was 39 when she had my younger brother :)

hey hun my mum was in her 40's when she had me and we have a great relationship! my dad was in his 50s!!

i just want to say i think you're brave... not in a bad way.. in a good way.. i love my son and I can't wait to have more babies! but when they are teenagers i know i will start looking forward to having money for myself etc!! haha

:) xx

Dear All

Thank you all for such lovely reassuring comments, good to hear of so many Mummies having babies later in life and the resulting children not minding having older parents.

I have run it by my two teenagers and once they got over the shock of Mother and Father "doing it" they were ok, strangely the son was more ok than the daughter lols. I don't think they will be a problem at all and will end up loving having a little one around.

You have all made me feel so much better about it, I know it is what I want deep down but every now and again I get the wobbles and have to tell myself it is not just a baby I am having but the next 18+ years too!!! Having been through almost 18 of them already I know what is coming ha ha Sometimes ignorance really is bliss!

However with age hopefully comes maturity and patience, things I did not have so much of at age 20 and 23 when I had my son and daughter, also more financial security etc etc. I think this time round will be very different indeed!
x

There wasn't as much of an age gap between me (the oldest) and my 2nd sister (the youngest). We're eleven years apart. There was definitely a huge difference in the way were were brought up due to many reasons (I'm talking before my parents divorced, that's a different topic though, completely unrelated)

I'm glad your kids are cool with it. I faceplamed a little about them getting over you guys "doing it". how did they think THEY got here?! :lol:

I say go for it. If you're financially stable, healthy and can give a little baby a good life, go for it. My aunt was 40 when she had her second after her 20 year old daughter moved out and she said it was the best thing they ever did. Good luck!

Yay! I say go for it. Your kids will be really excited to get a little brother or sister. Good luck when ttc time comes around.

xxx

There wasn't as much of an age gap between me (the oldest) and my 2nd sister (the youngest). We're eleven years apart. There was definitely a huge difference in the way were were brought up due to many reasons (I'm talking before my parents divorced, that's a different topic though, completely unrelated)

I'm glad your kids are cool with it. I faceplamed a little about them getting over you guys "doing it". how did they think THEY got here?! :lol:

I know it is weird isn't it... I think it is just the thought of "it" going on in the room next door now they are old enough to know what "it" involves (and 1 is at it himself...sweet baby moses, don't even go there!) they find it a bit wrong...to be honest when I was a teenager the thought of my parents "doing it" would have made me ill lols

I think you should soooo go for it! You're already the bestest mummy, another baby would be lucky to be part of your gorgeous family. The boy is all big and grown and wants to be independent in the big world and the girl would happily share what she has with a new buba. Defo go for it, i want us to be bump buddies!xxx

Hi all

I am new here so thought I would say hello. Would love to hear from anyone who has started all over again. My kids are 17 (boy) and nearly 15 (girl). My husband and I are hoping to have a baby and will be trying from July 2010 onwards (as he is away in Oz for 4 months now).

Am I crazy for starting again at the age of 37 when the kids are nearly off my hands, we are both earning good money and maybe I should be using my wages to help the teenagers with cars and uni etc instead of being selfish and wanting a baby.

Also I will be an old mummy at the school gates and that terrifies me having been a young one first time round...gosh my head is in whirl!

xxx

I think you should be using your wages to help them!!
I'm only saying this because I'm in uni and just got my first car not even 6 months ago :winkwink: :haha:

But no seriously, as long as your other children aren't going without then why shouldn't you try for another!

I wish you lots of luck!
And :dust:

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back