Starting BLW

LeannieB

Toby and Sam xx
Reaction score
Hi is anyone starting/ just started BLW? My little boy was 6 months yesterday. Im going to slowly start introducing some foods this week. What foods did you start with? What time of the day did you offer them and how many times? Thanks x

The first week we tried things like cucumber sticks, melon sticks, mashed potato, roasted carrot and parsnip, a yorkshire pudding, porridge fingers, toast fingers with mashed banana or mashed avocado on top, steamed broccoli florets. The cucumber and melon was a big hit, as was the roasted carrot and parsnip sticks, and toast fingers. We started with just doing lunch every day. One of those lunches was a picnic we had when we were on holiday (hence the cucumber and melon), one was Sunday lunch, and then just normal lunches during the week. They don't eat much right away and they don't need to be eating much anyway, so I didn't feel like I wanted to rush into it. We kept with doing lunch every day with some breakfasts for the first month. By 7 months, we were doing probably breakfast and lunch most days. We were doing all three meals most days (but not always dinner every day) by about 7.5 months. I offered food at usual mealtimes, like around the time we would probably want to eat ourselves, give or take a bit, and about 1-2 hours after a milk feed.

BLW is so, so great. Stick with it, don't focus on the quantities or try to force it or feel like you're not doing something right if after 2 months nearly everything is still getting chucked on the floor. It's a process and it will happen. And it's a fun thing to see them do. Everyone in our family thought we were nuts doing it! My MIL just kept telling us about how she had lunch with her friend's grandkids and they were 5 and still didn't know how to use a fork and were eating spaghetti with their hands and she was sure our daughter wouldn't learn to eat properly with cutlery unless we spoonfed her puree (not sure the logic behind that thinking, but anyway!). Now they all think it's great how adventurous our daughter is with her food (she's 2 now and does use a fork and a spoon 'properly' I might add) and they always say they wish they'd known they could do that when their kids were little!

The first week we tried things like cucumber sticks, melon sticks, mashed potato, roasted carrot and parsnip, a yorkshire pudding, porridge fingers, toast fingers with mashed banana or mashed avocado on top, steamed broccoli florets. The cucumber and melon was a big hit, as was the roasted carrot and parsnip sticks, and toast fingers. We started with just doing lunch every day. One of those lunches was a picnic we had when we were on holiday (hence the cucumber and melon), one was Sunday lunch, and then just normal lunches during the week. They don't eat much right away and they don't need to be eating much anyway, so I didn't feel like I wanted to rush into it. We kept with doing lunch every day with some breakfasts for the first month. By 7 months, we were doing probably breakfast and lunch most days. We were doing all three meals most days (but not always dinner every day) by about 7.5 months. I offered food at usual mealtimes, like around the time we would probably want to eat ourselves, give or take a bit, and about 1-2 hours after a milk feed.

BLW is so, so great. Stick with it, don't focus on the quantities or try to force it or feel like you're not doing something right if after 2 months nearly everything is still getting chucked on the floor. It's a process and it will happen. And it's a fun thing to see them do. Everyone in our family thought we were nuts doing it! My MIL just kept telling us about how she had lunch with her friend's grandkids and they were 5 and still didn't know how to use a fork and were eating spaghetti with their hands and she was sure our daughter wouldn't learn to eat properly with cutlery unless we spoonfed her puree (not sure the logic behind that thinking, but anyway!). Now they all think it's great how adventurous our daughter is with her food (she's 2 now and does use a fork and a spoon 'properly' I might add) and they always say they wish they'd known they could do that when their kids were little!

Thank you so thats so helpful. I will try him with some cucumber sticks tomorrow!! I did BLW 5 years ago with my almost 5 year old but I just couldnt remember how we got started. One thing I do remember is that it took him ages to eat properly but once he hit 8/9 months it was great cause he was eating loads. X

I'm just starting BLW! I tried her with banana the other day but haven't tried anything else since... Am I not right in thinking you have to wait a couple of days before you introduce a new food in case of allergies?? As in you can give them bananas for a couple of days, then move onto cucumber sticks for example..?

I'm thinking of trying her with carrot sticks tomorrow :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->