Starting nursery....help!

LittleBunny

Reaction score
Hope im ok posting in here?

Leah has just turned 3 a month ago and is starting nursery on the 8th jan. Im very very worried, mainly for her sake. She is brilliant with adults and kids 6+, will chat and play for hours. But as soon as shes around kids her own age, she gets very scared and hides behind me, she is very shy around 2-3yr olds. I have been telling her for the past few months thats shes starting nursery soon and she seems excited. But when i mentioned that i will be leaving her there she gets all upset. I no its a scary time for most kids.
How was your child when they first went to nursery? Did you find it hard or did your child shock you and was brilliant? How did you handle it?
any advice will be appreciated
thank you
xx

My son has always been quite independent and happy to leave me but I know nurseries/preschools usually do settling in sessions to ease children in a bit, particularly children who are a little nervous like your daughter. Has the nursery mentioned anything like that?

All kids are totally different when it comes to nursery.

My DD was delighted to go. With a smile and a wave she just cheerily said 'bye' to me, and got on with playing and making friends.

DS1 on the other hand turned into a blubbering mess every time I left him there, and that was the same EVERY time he went for an entire year, even though he said he actually liked it and had friends there. He has always been very clingy though, very much a mama's boy.

DS2 is starting on Monday and tbh I think he'll be completely fine.

my eldest two were fine! they're now 5 & 7 and very confident. My 3rd girl was 3 last april and went las september so shes done a full term there and she was always very shy mostly with adults. She was very clingy, liked to know i was there the whole time etc. when it came to time we got her ready over the holiday explaining we wouldnt be there with her and she seemed super excited. First day she got ready we got there and she screeeamed the place down. I had to leave her at 9am upset. Her teacher rang at 10:25 to say she had settled. Second day had to fight to get her shoes on she screamed she wasnt going. I took her she screamed again i left here at 9am again and by 9:40 her teacher called to say she settled. After that idk what happened there but she stopped making a fuss and just went in no crying no nothing and she started looking forward to going. Three months on and she loves it. I know the first 2 days were hard for her and as a parent but im so glad i put her through it in a sense because to c her happy with lots of friends enjoying school and learning things she might not have learned at home is awesome!!

just remember however hard it is for either of u. If u stick with it then it WILL benefit ur LO in the long run!! stay strong im sure it will be easier for her than u think hun xx ww

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->