Starting the battle with PCOS..

MissFernandez

TTC#1 with PCOS (Natural)
Reaction score
Hi Ladies..

I dont know if this is the right area but there seemed to be a few PCOS topics here so i'll post it here..

I have decided to start doing something about my PCOS. I was diagnosed with PCOS on the 5th of October 2011. and while I was very active in attending my OB/GYN appointments at the hospital and attending my doctors appointments, I thought everything was sorted, I was comfortable with what was going on and everything and sort of ignored it because the OB/GYN I had was very good at dealing with patients who have PCOS, but then I moved interstate and lost all the progress I had made with the doctor/OB/GYN.

My new current doctor ( I searched high and low for her I might add) doesnt seem to think that there is anything more for me to do untill I want to get pregnant ( if i ever can :cry: ) but I feel that something still isnt right and I feel that there is more I can do to combat this. My BCP that I'm on is meant to make my periods regular as a result of years of not having anything at all and the result is making me moody and emotional as the result of the high dose of hormones. I read in a self help book that depression is one of thie things that go part and parcel with PCOS as with the loss of hair on the head ( i have a little bald spot, but I'm not exactly fazed with it as I've accepted it's part of the PCOS).

What I would like to know is.. What are the next steps in battling PCOS? how can I get this new doctor to take my concerns seriously, because before I moved if i had any questions I would talk to my OB/GYN at my appointments, but im not sure how to approach a new doctor armed with the knowledge that I already have. Is there is anything that I should specifically ask for?

I want 2012 to be the year I get on top of this and for it to stop getting me down so any help would be muchly appreciated.

thanks ladies in advance. :flower:

p.s I'm not looking for attention. I just want advice on how to battle this so I can live my life, not let it (PCOS) run my life. xx

Hi

i also have PCOS, and prior to starting ttc i was literally put on the bcp and then told to come back when i was ready to start ttc. i dont know what answers you are looking for from your new doctor..when you say your old ob/gyn was really good and supportive, what things was she doing?

because there is no treatment for PCOS, and the only time, as i understand it, you will need medical intervention is when you begin trying to get pregnant, at which point you can start fertility medication such as clomid or metformin.

i have been diagnosed with pcos for about 5 months now, and the only appointments i have had was the initial one where i got diagnosed and then the appointment where i went back to tell them that i was ready to come off bcp and begin ttc, so its quite confusing for me to here that you were having regular appointments...unless this is for something else?

are you struggling with your weight or anything as a result of the pcos? if you let me know more specific things, then i can have a better go at answering you/giving you more advice.

sorry this reply is so long and not very helpful! if you want to discuss it more privately, youre more than welcome to message me :)

Hi

i also have PCOS, and prior to starting ttc i was literally put on the bcp and then told to come back when i was ready to start ttc. i dont know what answers you are looking for from your new doctor..when you say your old ob/gyn was really good and supportive, what things was she doing?

because there is no treatment for PCOS, and the only time, as i understand it, you will need medical intervention is when you begin trying to get pregnant, at which point you can start fertility medication such as clomid or metformin.

i have been diagnosed with pcos for about 5 months now, and the only appointments i have had was the initial one where i got diagnosed and then the appointment where i went back to tell them that i was ready to come off bcp and begin ttc, so its quite confusing for me to here that you were having regular appointments...unless this is for something else?

are you struggling with your weight or anything as a result of the pcos? if you let me know more specific things, then i can have a better go at answering you/giving you more advice.

sorry this reply is so long and not very helpful! if you want to discuss it more privately, youre more than welcome to message me :)

I sent you a private message with further info :flower:

Hi there,

I also have PCOS - looking back I can see that I had it even in my late mid-late teens but was only diagnosed in August 2011. I doubt I would have ever found out except that we'd been trying to conceive for 2 years. My Dr put me on something called Metformin - usually given to type 2 diabetics - as it helps with the insulin resistance that is part and parcel with PCOS. So, I suppose that might help you but possibly not while on BCP.

I was kind of wondering what your old ob/gyn was doing with you that this one is not doing as well. Did you have your old ob/gyn transfer your file (you can request your own personal copy as well if you want) to your new ob/gyn so she can see what was being done? Aside from BCP and Metformin there isn't really any other medical treament available unless you're trying to conceive - there are a couple of other options then (a laparoscopic surgery called ovarian drilling and/or fertility drugs). However, there are all kinds of natural/holistic treatments you can do - one of the main things would be to check out a PCOS diet book or an insulin-resistance diet book, getting exercise. There's a book called Making Babies that gives all sorts of suggestions to do - everything from diet to exercise, to what to avoid to vitamins - all of which can be useful even to those not trying to conceive. Losing weight can also be helpful - providing you have an excess weight in the first place. :)

Hope this post was a bit more helpful for you! :) Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->