Stem cell research - placenta/cord donation

Ria_Rose

Mum to JJ & expecting #2
Reaction score
You can pay a huge sum of money to have cord blood frozen and stored, in case your baby or family need it in the future.

Core blood can be used to treat: blood disorders like Sickle cell anaemia, thalassaemia, some cancers such as Leukaemia and lymphoma.

But is it just me or does it seem a waste that in a climate where we don't have enough organ and particularly bone marrow donars that most placentas and cords are thrown away?

I have looked it up and some places will let you, but it isn't standard practice and seems to depend on where you give birth.

There are only a few Hospitals in England where you can do it (Northwick Park Hospital, Barnet General Hospital, Luton Dunstable Hospital and Watford General Hospital.)
https://cord.blood.co.uk/faq/

If you live in the US, there are a few more places.
https://www.marrow.org/HELP/Donate_Cord_Blood_Share_Life/How_to_Donate_Cord_Blood/index.html

I hope one day that the facilities will be availble for all new Mothers to donate should they wish to.

I think it is very messed up that we have technology that isn't generally available UNLESS you are extremely privileged and can afford the thousands to have it - and even then it is more like an insurance than anything else. Here in US I feel I am constantly bombarded by ads for cord blood banking and it makes you feel bad because if you can't afford it, it seems like your child doesn't have the same chance if they should need it.

I too, hope things change in the future.

I was asked if i wanted to donate for stem cell research after i had my last, i dident hesitate, it could help someone else (help id hope we recieved should we ever need it) plus, i dident need it and i hate wastage.

I think it should be offered everywhere, it's madness that it's so difficult to find somewhere that will allow you to do it! x x

i wanted to donate zanes to the hospital for bone marrow ect but they wouldnt take it n said the man who runs the hospital said its too expensive even tho it cud save sum1!

they wouldnt even take milk donation

so zanes went to waste

Ridiculus. Think of how many babies are born everyday and compare that to how many Leukaemia sufferers there are, we could treat everyone of them within a year if every woman donated her baby's placenta.

And if storage is so expensive surely there is a way to test you beforehand and have a reciprient already lined up with matching bone marrow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->