Step by step weaning help?

jellybean87

mum to 1 and expecting
Reaction score
I'm going to start weaning dd soon and I'm feeling very anxious about it. Has anyone got a step by step for traditional weaning?

How much should I give her, when do I go to twice a day?
Do I give her bottle first? And anything else! U

Il be stalking this thread! I need to get all the info I can on weaning too, it's all so confusing :hugs:

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-how/

Its for EBF but same applies for bottle fed babies.

I let my nanny tell me what to do....she would give my LO the puree first and let her eat as much as she wanted and then give her milk afterwards after waiting may be 20 minutes.

We started with just one meal - I think it was lunch and then after a while it was tea as well and eventually dinner.

She would eat a vegetable puree and then a fruit one.

We worked up to replacing her lunchtime and dinnertime bottle with yoghurt either the baby stuff (which is really convenient for going out as you don't need to keep it in the fridge) or the normal adult yoghurt without sugar.

We started giving her toast or baguette in the morning when she started teething.

She didn't really like bits until she got both sets of up and down teeth. but we would test her from time to time with new food.

For convenience we use jars but we have been progressively giving her solid fruits and now she eats a proper lunch and tea with the nanny and with us on the weekend.

My Dr said - don't praise them when they eat, don't get angry when they don't. When she doesn't want to eat - I stop trying to force her and give her something else and put the unwanted one back in the fridge to try the next day.

You really need to go on what suits baby. A lot of people say give half the bottle then food then rest of bottle. I'm telling you my lo would scream if his bottle was taken from him!!!! It was hard to start with. We only did one meal a day but he quickly moved to two but it was a while before he moved to three. He had no feeding pattern reAlly so we ended up feeding every two hours! It was 7am bottle 9am porridge 11am bottle 2pm bottle 4pm tea 630 bottle 10pm bottle. His last two bottles he didn't drink loads ... But it worked for him it was how he wanted to do it. It wasn't prob what the health visitor would advise but who cares. I feed your lo before a bottle if you know when they'll eat but maybe do it half an hour before they're due as if they're starving they'll screAm and you'll have to abandon it. We started with lunch but then when he had breakfast we did tea Instead so he was more hungry for it

Also I started with veggies. Carrots sweet potato etc. they might eat four teaspoons ... Which is a lot btw... They might just eat one and it varies from day to day. It is a mine field but its all trial and error. At 20 mths and a perfectly heAlthy weight for his height I might add my lo now out eats hubby's grandma. He eats loads!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I tried carrot three time but she spat it straight out next day tried apple and she cried! Think I'm going to wait a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->