• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sterilisers?? (again sorry)

thelilbump

♥ mummy to a princess ♥
Reaction score
Hi ladies.

We've been thinkin about sterilisers jus recently and although i'm planning on tryin to breast feed i want to have a few bottles ready just incase. Pretty much the same story as the other thread by sounds by Laura1984 but i just want to clarify a few things really.

A) i got some tommee tippee closer to nature bottles in toys r us sale yesterday (6.49 for 4!!) so will these now only fit in a CTN steriliser or just any? I know they're fatter so you can't fit as many in. I perhaps shoulda thought about this before lol

B) Electric or microwave? What really is the difference?

any other advice/recommendations MUCH appreciated coz it seems to be a minefield out there!!

I bought the CTN range with a microwave steriliser as was going to breast feeding but was also given a cold water steriliser and tbh have only used the cold water one as i just keep a bottle or two in there along with my pump and then theres no waiting for the microwave

If you will only occasionally be using a bottle I would buy the Tommee microwave steriliser! I have electric and microwave one but only so I could use the microwaves one when we were not at home/take it for over nights.

Tesco have been having all the Tommee stuff half price on and off! In fact its £5 off at the moment for the microwave one (which can be used for cold sterilising too) - not sure about the bottles because my local Tesco is crap so my account sows minimal stock!

Thanks ladies. is there a difference in the result acheived between using a microwave or electric sterilser?

None imo - The bottles are as clean as you clean them before sterilising :D!

I'm thinking of putting my electric one away now with Caitlin only on 4 bottles a day rather than every 3 hrs & using the micro one :D

neither..... go with cold water sterilisers..... didnt kill us as kids.

I love my microwave steriliser...so easy to use, and perfect size for my pump and a couple of bottles (it's an Avent one but I use different kinds of bottles in it as you just stand them upside down) x

We have the Avent IQ Electric steriliser it is supposed to be really clever!! (Have no idea why) but I am going to be bottle feeding so wil be using it alot more, 1st time round I used an Avent microwave one and it was fab! Morrisons are selling them for £14.99 at the moment too, bargain! I'm going to get one to leave at LO's Grannys house.
I used a cold water one once, total nightmare! You sterilise then have to rinse with boiled water afterwards, total pain in the bum!! xxx

I used a cold water one once, total nightmare! You sterilise then have to rinse with boiled water afterwards, total pain in the bum!! xxx

What did you use to do the sterilising? I use milton and it states that there is no need to rinse before using the bottles etc

What did you use to do the sterilising? I use milton and it states that there is no need to rinse before using the bottles etc

I honestly can't remember, it was 12 years ago! :blush: I remember it was tablets that fizzed up when you dropped them in the water?! and it smelled really horrible :blush: i thought you would have to rinse any chemicals off the bottles:shrug:

That was exactly my thought

If your using Milton and then you rinse after it- you would be washing away the sterilising bit.

I initially bought Tommy tippee digital steriliser and after talking to a few mothers, was told theyr not as good as you think, so got a refund.

Apparently, once its steamed, its sterile but you will have to use them pretty much straight away, whereas cold water sterilisers can be kept in the water bath for 24hours and can be taken out whenever you need them and so long as its in Milton, its sterile.

I was under the influence, once its steamed I can keep it in the bowl- but you cant and plus I was told babies are at more risk of getting mouth thrush from them???? I dont know how much of this is true, just what ive been told.

Ive now bought a cold water Tommy tippee steriliser on sat and will be stocking up on Milton.

That was exactly my thought

If your using Milton and then you rinse after it- you would be washing away the sterilising bit.

I initially bought Tommy tippee digital steriliser and after talking to a few mothers, was told theyr not as good as you think, so got a refund.

Apparently, once its steamed, its sterile but you will have to use them pretty much straight away, whereas cold water sterilisers can be kept in the water bath for 24hours and can be taken out whenever you need them and so long as its in Milton, its sterile.

I was under the influence, once its steamed I can keep it in the bowl- but you cant and plus I was told babies are at more risk of getting mouth thrush from them???? I dont know how much of this is true, just what ive been told.

Ive now bought a cold water Tommy tippee steriliser on sat and will be stocking up on Milton.

Hi. Now i am confused!! i've brought the tommee tippee elcetric sterilsor now, so if i'm going to use this to sterilise my bottles i have to use them practically straight away?

Hi. Now i am confused!! i've brought the tommee tippee elcetric sterilsor now, so if i'm going to use this to sterilise my bottles i have to use them practically straight away?

My microwave steam one says to use within 3 hours - think it's the same for the electric ones. If you're making up lots of bottles with just water at once though you can fill them and seal them (then they're still sterile on the inside and you can just add formula when you need to). Or if you do breastfeed and use them for expressed milk, sterlise just before but you can then keep them in the fridge or freezer x

Oww my gosh i never thought sterilising bottles would be this complicated!!

So if i use the electric steriliser i could just use them bottles and make some formula up and refridegerate it? Does the milk go off if not used within 24 hours or so? Sorry i really have NO idea and jus wanna be uber clear! :dohh:

Sterlising is a mindfield to say the least, but i am understanding the process a lil more.

It all depends on whether you wish to make up a bunch of feeds and refrigerate them and microwave when needed. Some mother do this, some dont. Some think it harbours bacteria but then you can argue that when you heat it up, it should kill any bacteria.

From what i know of and what i will be doing is to sterlise the bottles and when needed, let them dry on a bottle rack. Il be keeping 2 flasks. One with hot water and one with cooled kettle water and once baby needs a feed- I will make up one up. I dont know how practical this is, but im sure i will find out.........

I'm getting the Avent Express Steam Steriliser :)

That is the next thing I'm getting. Time seem's to be flying, and I've not got the main stuff yet, haha. I'm too busy buying clothes,shoes and hats for her. Wups!

That is the next thing I'm getting. Time seem's to be flying, and I've not got the main stuff yet, haha. I'm too busy buying clothes,shoes and hats for her. Wups!

they were on sale in toys r us, don't kno if they still r. And u wanna check out tesco direct for furniture, they had some good deals on, but thats if they still on and in stock. :hugs:

Sterlising is a mindfield to say the least, but i am understanding the process a lil more.

It all depends on whether you wish to make up a bunch of feeds and refrigerate them and microwave when needed. Some mother do this, some dont. Some think it harbours bacteria but then you can argue that when you heat it up, it should kill any bacteria.

From what i know of and what i will be doing is to sterlise the bottles and when needed, let them dry on a bottle rack. Il be keeping 2 flasks. One with hot water and one with cooled kettle water and once baby needs a feed- I will make up one up. I dont know how practical this is, but im sure i will find out.........

Right okay thanks, think i'm clear. Did u read this stuff somewhere or just from talking to other parents? Just wonderin if theres any good books or something? babies should come with manuals :rofl:

they were on sale in toys r us, don't kno if they still r. And u wanna check out tesco direct for furniture, they had some good deals on, but thats if they still on and in stock. :hugs:

Were they.. I don't live near a Toy's R Us, so it'd cost me delivery. I'm just gonna pick it up from Argos chick, Thanks for letting me know though 8)

Were they.. I don't live near a Toy's R Us, so it'd cost me delivery. I'm just gonna pick it up from Argos chick, Thanks for letting me know though 8)

U should have a shoppin trip to preston :happydance: lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->