sterilising bottles

sophie

Mum of 2 pg with no3!
Reaction score
How do u lot do it? I mean for the 1st morning feed, i do them before i go up to bed so around 10, and Rio will have a bottle about 11 ish then some nights she'll go till 5- 6 am before she wakes for a feed so by this time the bottles are needing to be sterilised again, so shes screaming while i do them then i have to wait for them to cool down its a nightmare.
So what do u lot do?? ha
xx

Hi Sophie,

Although they reccomend that you don't make bottes up and store them in the fridge, they do say you can sterilise your bottles, fill them with the boiled water and leave them at room temperature for up to 24 hours. Then just add the powdered milk as and when you need a bottle. Thats what I do.

this is from the Cow & Gate website

[h3]Top tip![/h3]
When you're making up bottle feeds, it's important to follow a few simple rules. It's recommended that you make up feeds as and when you need them to prevent the growth of bacteria. However, you can put pre-boiled water into sterilised bottles and the water can then be stored, at room temperature, for up to 24 hours. Always throw away any milk that's still left over after two hours. To make things easier for you during a busy day or when you're out and about, why not try one of our ready-made milks in tetrapacks?

https://www.cowandgate.co.uk/en/article.asp?chco_id=58679&chli_id=&from=latest

Im one of the naughty ones who makes up a 24hr batch :blush:

I sterilise all the bottles and make them up in the evening so there always to have Lily.

xx

I makeup 12 hours of bottles in one go ....

Sterilise bottles
boil fresh water in kettle (never reboiled water)
cool for 30
fill bottles
leave on side for 15 to cool down a bit more
put in fridge

x

Oh and occasionally I have made night time bottles up - as above but usually let water cool for 45 on own - add water - add milk - little stir of bottles - fridge. HV told me sometimes it can be more dangerous counting scoops with one eye open!

We've been buying the little cartons of milk im so lazy :blush: They are so much easier than makin them up, so i guess ill just have to stick with sceaming Rio whilst i wait for them to sterilise ha!

i know you might only use them a couple of times or for a couple of months but have you thought maybe buying two more bottles?

you're not lazy Sophie, I used those cartons for the first couple of weeks too, they are so much quicker.

I used to leave the water in the bottles and make them up as and when, but I spend so much time out of the house I now make up 4 bottles at a time and fridge them.

Naimi xx

We used to sterilise 6 bottles at once (24 hour batch), whilst boiling the kettle and leaving the water to cool in the kettle for 30 mins - no longer. Then we'd fill the bottles, add the powder and shake.. then stand the bottles for 5-10 minutes to cool quickly in a sink of cold water.

You can do it the same way, but if you're uncomfortable adding the powder.. you can just put water in the fridge instead, then add the powder as you need each bottle.

Opinion varies so much, so I believe it's best to do what you think is right. I tried making the water and adding the powder as we went along, but I didn't see the point of Bethanie getting upset 5 times a day whilst we faffed about making bottles up. Im not telling anyone else how to do it, but we made milk up and she was never ill with it.

i sterilise my bottles, boil fresh kettle, pour the water into my bottles and then put the amount of scoops i need into the little tommee tippee powder dispencers and put them inside my bottles and store them in the cupboard. make up 24hrs worth of feeds xxx

i sterilise my bottles, boil fresh kettle, pour the water into my bottles and then put the amount of scoops i need into the little tommee tippee powder dispencers and put them inside my bottles and store them in the cupboard. make up 24hrs worth of feeds xxx

I do mine exactly the same, then if I want to go out I take 2 of the bottles, empty the cold water, replace with hot and put in the insulator bottle carriers. Makes everything easier. :) x

Cos i use the cartons so i cant add water are bottles only steril (sp) for 6 hours then? or if i sterilise my bottles and keep them in the steriliser and just use as an when i need them?
Oh its such a bloody worry

Im sure my intrustions say the items stay sterilised for 3hrs after aslong as you leave the lid on so as long as you knock in on every couple of hours or when you walked past would that do you?

xx

Im gald some of you still put the cooled down bottles in the fridge as that is what I have been doing!:blush: I have a microwave steroliser so I then boil kettle and fill up bottles and leave on sifde to cool and pop into fridge for when I need them. Then I take off teet and put bottle in microwave for 40 seconds and put my scoops of powdered milk in, shake and give.

Is this ok? The reason I ask is that lately the milk is not coing out the teet but I dont put them in microwave! Isabelle has been getting bad colic too which makes me wonder if its the teets?! She also hasnt pooed for 2 days and gets bad wind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->