Sterilising (sp?)

sonny

Mummy of Tabitha
Reaction score
I was just wondering when all you ladies stopped sterilising bottles and utensils and dummys etc?
Also when you stopped boiling water for feeds?

Sterilising about 7-8 months I think :D

Dummys about the same or maybe it was lil earlier however I would still wash them wiggle them in a cup of boiling water if I was making a brew - well still do just not so 'fussy' on washing them daily.

Think I stopped boiling water for bottles around same time 7=8 months and used a brita water filter jug to make them as we needed them.

x

We only sterilise Rubys bottles and only still do because we make enough for 24 hours and store them up in the fridge. When ive been in a rush and not had any pre made then ive usually just rinsed one out in hot water to make up and use straight away.

I still sterilize and boil the water. She's only having 4 bottles a day now so it really doesn't take me much time to do them

It's recommended to still sterilise bottles, and teats up to 12months and still use cooled pre-boiled water to make up formula until they go onto normal cows milk.

You don't need to sterilise cups, spoons, bowls etc after 6months but definitely carry on sterilising milk bottles, breast pump etc till 12months as they can harbour bacteria more easily coz they've had milk in and have more nooks and crannies for the bacteria to "hide" in.

Here's a link for you

https://www.nhs24.com/content/default.asp?page=s5_4&articleID=641&sectionID=24

I sterilise the bottles and will continue to do so until a year (cos of the bacteria thing) but I don't actually think I've ever sterilised dummys or weaning utensils! :blush:

I also confess to sometimes putting a bit of tap water in with his bottles if they're too hot (I make them up as I go). Oh dear...

I sometimes put tap water in to cool them down too.. I don't sterilize dummies ever, I on't sterilise weaning stuff or toys either, I think I might stop sterilizing between 9 and 12 months but I admit to not being nearly as rigid with it now as I used to be.

i sterilise everything :blush: inc. toys dummies and weaning equipment (inc. pans and spoons when preparing my own) and will continue to do so until 12months x

Il continue to sterlize her bottles and will used boiled water until she is 12months im sterlising spoons at the moment buit will most probabbly stop that as she gets older, i dont sterlize toys and things like that because i think some germs can be a good thing as they can build a better amune (sp) system and shes forever dropping them! Lol

Thanks girls you have confirmed that i am not the only one who will be doing so until 12 months :blush:
I sterilize bottles and dummys most importantly and her little bowls for food. But i scold the spoons and trainer cups with boiling water as they cant go in the sterilizer and if i prepare my own food all the utensils for that get scolded too.
Thought i was being a bit OTT but i think i wont take the chance Tabs getting a bug as when she does with the reflux its awful!
Thankyou all :happydance:
This mummy business is hard work eh!

i still sterilise bottles and dummys but thats it and prob will till hes about 10/11 months, i think the amount of things he puts in his mouth during the day theres prob no point haha and ricschick right about getting small germs it builds up there imune system but i will carry on till at least 10 months xxx

I still steralise bottles but not spoons, plates etc. Hannah wouldnt take a dummy so dont have to worry about them!

we dont use bottles, but I stopped with all teh utensils around 6 months. He's had no ill effects. I decided that it was a bit of a waste of time seeing as he puts his hands down everywhere and sucks his fingers etc. Virtually any item he comes across can end up in his mouth.
Someone here told me that it's just the bottles for milk that need steralising after a while as there is a partic bacteria which is in the milk.

we dont use bottles, but I stopped with all teh utensils around 6 months. He's had no ill effects. I decided that it was a bit of a waste of time seeing as he puts his hands down everywhere and sucks his fingers etc. Virtually any item he comes across can end up in his mouth.
Someone here told me that it's just the bottles for milk that need steralising after a while as there is a partic bacteria which is in the milk.

TOTALLY agree with the fingers to mouth situation... I dont sterilise all her bowls and things.. I do the spoons but Im not major careful!! I sterilise all her bottles but will stop that religously at about 6 months.. and prob do it once a week or something!?! I dont sterlise her dummys to be honest... and she is fine... so content... so much more so than when she was a little baby and I wouldnt even let her have her dummy if it had touched the table ... now it just goes in my mouth!!

I sterilise everything but that's because Harry has a weaker immune system and lung problems due to being prem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->