Still bed-wetting at 5 years old

jrob

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to stop bed-wetting? Up until now we didn't really see too much of a problem, but now my step son is 5 and still peeing at night. He has been daytime potty trained since he was barely 2. But he is SUCH a heavy sleeper that he doesn't wake up to pee. He even pees through the pull ups some nights. We've tried waking him up in the middle of the night, but even then he will still sometimes go before morning again. He is so deep in sleep too that even after waking him it's hard to get him out of the bed and stay awake long enough to go in the toilet. We've tried everything we could think of. His last drink is at dinner time. And if he does have anything after then, it's a sip of water here and there. We have him pee before he goes to bed too. Does anyone have any suggestions?

No advice hun but you're not alone! Ds 1 is 4 1/2 and still not dry at night, yet has been dry during the day since 2 1/2. We've tried a few times at his request to stop using pull ups but we get a few good nights and then a lot of bad nights so we stop for a bit. We've tried reducing his water intake after 6 but he loves water and I dont think it's good to stop him from drinking if he's thirsty. We've tried waking him at 10 for a wee and leaving a potty in his room if he wakes on his own but 5 out of 7 nights he doesn't wake up! I'll watch with interest if anyone else has advice but I dont think it's considered a problem until they get to 6 or 7. Hope you find some answers.

He will stop when he is ready. I wouldn't worry about it at all. I kept all of mine in pull-ups until they got dry at night themselves, you can't teach it because it is a subconscious reaction.

My eldest wasn't dry until 7, middle one was 5 and the youngest did it at 2.5 when she was potty trained in the day

That's quite normal for boys, my 5 year old still isn't dry at night. It doesn't happen until their hormones reach a certain level, so doctors don't consider it a problem until age 7.

ok that's good to know. i was a psych major and i remember in my abnormal psych class we were told that 5 years old was the cut off for nocturnal enuresis was 5 and then its considered a problem. but if it's not considered that in the real world I feel a bit better.

Well, I myself as a child kept doing it until 6-7 years old.. At some point i discovered that it feels uncomfordable to have a full bladder in my sleep, dreamt i needed to go to the bathroom, woke up and went. Ever since then it's been fixed.. Some things just happen by themselves. :)

I was a bed wetter till around age 6-7... BUT... for me, it turned out I had an issue to fix (reflux valve that wasn't working right)- so I couldn't hold it for long. And I too was a very heavy sleeper- always have been. So after many tests, and thinking I may be allergic to this or that- they finally figured it out. I'm not saying he has this issue- but, honestly, it might be worth having a convo with his GP. It's rare- but sometimes there are physical things that cause issues like this. For me, it was a quick hospital visit to fix the issue with a procedure- and I was good from then on. Just a thought. Best of luck its' just something he'll grow out of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->