still needing top ups!

Sam182

Mum to a 27 week preemie
Reaction score
The mws in hospital and the community mws told me I had to top up with formula as ds2 lost too much of his birth weight. I want to ebf but even when he feeds for an hour he still cries for more food and I have to top him up. I had hoped I would have a good enough supply by now but it doesnt seem like I do. He's 3 weeks old

Its normal for a newborn to want to feed constantly when breastfed. He's most likely building up your supply so that you can meet his needs. If his weight is good now and he's making wet and dirty diapers just feed him when he wants to even if its every half hour. When you top up with formula your not letting your body get the signals to produce more milk which is why your LO always seems hungry.

if bf is really important to you then why not work at it to get rid of the formula by feeding, feeding, feeding and some more feeding. Yes it will be tiring and frustrating, make sure you eat well and drink plenty of fluids.
We combifed for about 6 weeks then I upped my supply with fenugreek and feeding and ditched the bottle.
Have confidence in your body's ability to feed your child and keep going.
( i'm obviously not a dr and am assuming there is no medical reason stopping this!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->