Stomach outside baby’s body

red_head

Reaction score
We’ve just had a second 12 weeks scan (although I’m actually 13+3) as last week things weren’t clear. We’ve been told baby has gastroschisis as a best case scenario and at worst prenatal ruptured membrane omphalocele. There were no doctors available as we were last scan of the day and everyone had left due to snow. Apparently mortality rates are about 10-15% for the best case, and 95% for the other. Does anyone know anything about this? Please? I can’t believe this is happening.

I don’t know anything either, but didn’t want to read and run.

There was a story in our local paper about a baby with gastroschisis a few days ago. The parents had been worried all pregnancy and the baba had to have an op to put the gut back inside, but he’s made a really good recovery. They’ve set up a Facebook support group for other social in the same situation. Just wanted to share a story with a happy ending xxx

Thank you that is really helpful - I will have a look on hubbys Facebook for the group :)

When will you have another scan for a definite diagnosis? I'm so sorry yous are being faced with this :hugs: all I can say is that my consultant during my first pregnancy sent my referral for counseling to give birth to a still born baby because she knew the chances weren't great, now he's 10 cheeky and fighting fit despite her initially having no hope for his outcome. Our doctors can do fantastic things :hugs:

Oh, red, i am so sorry. I have no information or advice, but i just want you to know i will be thinking of you. :hugs:

Thank you all. I think we should find out more Monday, or possibly over the weekend, depending on what doctors get to the hospital in this weather. I just want to speak to a doctor.

I'm sorry you've had such awful news, Red.

I've heard about it, and even seen it once while visiting a NICU, but there's not much more I could say than that, since the outcomes depend on a lot of factors like the size of the gastroschisis/omphalocele, when the baby is born, and the type of repair. I do know that you're in for a c-section to protect the baby's delicate organs, but I know that's the least of your concerns right now.

I hope they're able to get you more information soon, because this is a terrible thing to have to worry about.

Thank you both - that article is terrifying and helpful at the same time. The bit that really strikes me is the stuff about whether or not I should be getting ready for a baby or not. It’s just awful not knowing whether he will ever come home. I can’t stop crying. I had already brought a couple of baby grows and a few silly little things and now I don’t know whether he will ever use them. If we lose him after everything we’ve been through I know I will never have the strength to try again. I just want him to be okay. I wish they hadn’t let us go without talking to a doctor, because the stuff online is so intimidating and some of it is positive and then some of it is awful and so sad. I know I have to just try and be strong and hope for the best, and I am but this is so scary and I’m still in shock. I just can’t stop crying.

Oh red, my heart is breaking for you. Please stay off of Google though, as much as possible. My baby had a two vessel cord instead of 3, and Google scared me to death, but the dr assured me that the odds were strongly in my favor, and i believe that'll be the case with you too. It sounds like the best case scenario is also the more common scenario? And that would mean your baby has a 90% chance of making it, even though he may have to endure some surgeries. Big hugs. Stay strong and have faith in your little guy. He made it this far and hes going to keep growing strong. Xo!

That must be really frightening. I only know of one baby who was born with this and she is now an adult with no lasting effects from it. Hoping the same for your little one

Thinking of yous Red, I hope yous get a better explanation tomorrow :hugs:

I’m feeling a bit more positive. It’s been confirmed to be gastroschisis. Apparently there is a chance of still birth - about 10%, but I’m being referred to a good hospital. I just have to hope for the best. I’ve started a journal so will be talking about everything there xx

Well I’m sorry to hear that, I’ve known a couple of babies born with that condition and they are absolutely fine now. I think the way you have to look at it is there’s a chance of stillborth even in the healthiest of pregnancies :( one bonus is that you and baby will be being monitored closely, all will be fine in the end ❤️

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->