stopped taking citalopram and...............

angelmummy

Mum of 2 boys & 1 angel
Reaction score
now feel like i want to kill someone. i now have the most terrible temper and am scaring myself at how angry i am getting with everyone.

i have weaned myself off them slowly gradually reducing the dose but now i have not had one for a few days i feel i could hurt someone.

i did not go on them because of a temper, i went on them to help me with the grief over my stillborn full term son and the death of my dad 6 months later.

however it did help me a lot and my moods generally and now i am so angry.

anyone else got any experience of coming off citalopram etc

marie x

Hi Marie,

I came off citalopram in sept/oct, having been on them since january for ptsd after my mum died.

I haven't felt angry, but I am certainly a lot snappier and shorter tempered. What I have found is that I hadn't grieved properly because they blurred the edges so much.

I think this is probably a normal transition after coming off them, your body just needs to relearn how to deal with these emotions without the help of the meds.

Just be gentle with yourself, and don't be too critical of yourself if you do feel angry. You have had two enormous losses and anger is a perfectly natural emotion to feel.

x

I am on 20mg for post natal but think its gone into full depression I took 40mg on friday and I took really not well not too sure if it was a bug or the side effects of the tablets, Ive a lot of anger in me, to be honest I want a psychatric nurse to have a look at me but my health visitor thinks I'll be fine by januray and I phoned her on friday and told her how I felt and she didnt seem interested, she was more interested in my baby. I want to come off this because I am so not myself on these, they worked before but this time I feel worse on them

I came off citalopram about 4 years ago. What I remember was:

- Fuzzy on and off sap like feeling in head (for less than a week)
- Got panic attacks again after 6 months (reason I was on the medication)

Hope that helps XXX

P.S. Don't remember if I was snappy

I still take citalopram but have had times when ive been without them for a little while. I get bad withdrawl symptoms where i feel 'fuzzy' and and i have no patience.

Did your doctor know you have came off them?

Im on 20mg for pnd ive been on them since August and now want to come off them but im worried about the side effects.

I think the doctor needs to be doing the weaning and monitoring you the side effects from coming off when not ready can be catastrophic. They may be able to perscribe something similar but wont have so much of an impact when you come off them. take care :hugs:

Hi I just come off them due to being scred to go and get my repeat script and that was bout 5 months ago now. I was suprisingly fine at first but I can feel the edginess & depression coming back and i keep slipping into my old way so wanna go back on them I think.

I would recommend seeing your GP to wean you off properly though as that is what is advised!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->