Stopping BCPs: What to expect?

Jewels

Wife & Aussie Mommy!
Reaction score
Anyone recently stop taking their BCPs? I will be stopping mine on March 21st.. Anyone know what I can expect? I've been on them for so long, and non-stop - probably about 9 years now. If I remember correctly, my cycles were pretty regular 28 day cycles. I hope I go back to that quickly, and with a minimum of weird symptoms! :rofl:

Well, for me i've come off the pill twice. First time no problems, straight back to 28day cycles. Second time, they were anything between about 18 and 45 days apart. So it's a bit of a lottery really xx

I think it really just depends on the individual and a lot to do with whether your cycle was normal before you started taking BCP. I just recently stopped, I was taking them for about 10 years non-stop, my last active pill was on January 9th this year, i then had the withdrawal bleed on the 12th January and my first real period on the 12 February, which means I should be due for one about 12th March - this Thursday and seeing as i have some spotting today which i got about 1-2 days before my first real period last month, then i assume AF is on her way and i am back on a pretty regular cycle . I havent been able to TTC this month as i needed to have a vaccation against rubella and that then has a month waiting period, but my month will be up this Friday YAY (finally) so can start trying then. If you are not doing so already i suggested charting your BBT as soon as you stop using a site called Fertility Friend, this will help you to know whether you start ovulating again straight away after BCP. Oh and one last thing, apparently your first real period of the pill is supposed to be pretty painful and about 2 days before mine came the cramping i had was unbelievable! but thankfully i havent had that feeling again today so hopefully it wont return, touch wood. Anyway best of luck, most woman are supposed to return to a normal cycle within about 3 months, but others can take up to 6 months to a year, see your doctor if yours doesnt return after a few months.

Hey Jewles, i came off the pill in january, Dont be supprised if you dont have a af for 6 weeks. 2 weeks for it to get out of your sistem and then 4 weeks for your normal cycle. Thats me gessing thats what happend with me anyway and the first af may be an evil one, i was in agony. Havent had my 2nd af yet so ill have to see if my cycles have gone back to normal.

I came off the pill last August.. and got my period right on time (28 days later) - but them my cycles went to 25 days! I never had withdrawl bleeding - but I did have some weird symptoms from coming off - made me think I was pg!

Good luck!

ooo this is a quetion that i had thought about! i want to come off mine asap but OH wont let me! :-(

I've been on and off BCP before and always got back to what's 'normal' for me straight away. I've always have 28-36 day cycles, so I've never know exactly when to expect my period, but at least had a general 'it'll start sometime in the next week'. I went off BCP in mid Jan and had my withdrawl bleed as usual. Then one 29 day cycle and am waiting for AF on this cycle which could show up as early as this Thursday. Some women take longer to adjust after stopping BCP. I hope your cycles regulate quickly.

Thanks for all of the input girls! I'm hoping I'll be as lucky as many of you and have my cycles go back pretty quick. :happydance:

I'm still sort of new here - but thought I would let you in on my experience with stopping BCP. I stopped last May 2008. I went about 2 months before my first period. My next 4 cycles were 38 days, 31 days, 43 days and 86 days. Now I am on day 58 of this cycle. I had completely regular cycles before I went on BC and I was on BC for about 10 years. I am trying to schedule an appt with a doctor to get checked but I don't have a family doctor where I live now so it's hard to get in with someone. I am hoping to start TTC in July.
I was expecting to go right back to normal after I went off BC so this has been an eye-opener for me. I have been told it can take some people a year or more before they regulate again. *sigh*

Hi. I'm new to all this but I recommend EPO capsules. I started taking these when I came off my BCP as I was all over the place and they seemed to sort everything out for me pretty well. They help with PMS too!!

I'm still sort of new here - but thought I would let you in on my experience with stopping BCP. I stopped last May 2008. I went about 2 months before my first period. My next 4 cycles were 38 days, 31 days, 43 days and 86 days. Now I am on day 58 of this cycle. I had completely regular cycles before I went on BC and I was on BC for about 10 years. I am trying to schedule an appt with a doctor to get checked but I don't have a family doctor where I live now so it's hard to get in with someone. I am hoping to start TTC in July.
I was expecting to go right back to normal after I went off BC so this has been an eye-opener for me. I have been told it can take some people a year or more before they regulate again. *sigh*

Hi SpecialK, thank you for your reply. I kept reading that typically if you have a normal cycle before BCPs, you would go back relatively quickly, but that does not appear to be the case! I'm sorry you've had such crazy cycles. I hope that they get sorted quickly so you can start TTC in July! :hugs:

Hi. I'm new to all this but I recommend EPO capsules. I started taking these when I came off my BCP as I was all over the place and they seemed to sort everything out for me pretty well. They help with PMS too!!

Hi Glitterbug, what are EPO capsules? :blush:

It can take anything from 6 months to a year (possibly longer) for your cycles to return back to normal. Usually 3 months, but a year isn't that rare.

Sorry!! - Evening Primrose Oil! Simple but effective. My friend used them to sort her cycle out when she was trying to conceive after 15 years on BCP. I don't think you can continue to take them when you're pregnant though.

I came off the pill in Feb and got the most horrible spot on my nose lol, just one and havent had any since - but I never get spots so was not impressed ha ha.

Since then I have not been able to work out what is going on or when I am ov - if I have at all.

coming off the pill has increased my sex drive tho - always a good thing when ttc !!!

Mrs Doddie, I'm right there with you. My sex drive has increased loads since coming off the pill (albeit only last week so can't really advise on what to expect). I'm not sure whether it's just psychological though but it's all good and husband isn't complaining. :thumbup:

Just to update from my above post. I am experiencing several changes that I did not have on the pill or remember having before (although this was 9 years ago and only a teenager)

hormonal symptoms - likely to be because of coming off the pill

Increased sex drive
Cramps day 9-11 (mild) / 17-20 (really bad)
Nipples erect (weren't too much before) and darkened areola / tender to the touch
Itchy @@'s
Very emotional
Scatty brain
Spots

At the same time I am wondering if the cramps days 17-20 could have been implantation ??? probably not but my mind is now in overdrive !!!

Just to update from my above post. I am experiencing several changes that I did not have on the pill or remember having before (although this was 9 years ago and only a teenager)

hormonal symptoms - likely to be because of coming off the pill

Increased sex drive
Cramps day 9-11 (mild) / 17-20 (really bad)
Nipples erect (weren't too much before) and darkened areola / tender to the touch
Itchy @@'s
Very emotional
Scatty brain
Spots

At the same time I am wondering if the cramps days 17-20 could have been implantation ??? probably not but my mind is now in overdrive !!!

Thanks hun, i want to come off the pill a while before i ttc so my body has time to get use to it, i want to come off August maybe?
x

Pinkgirl - I would reccomend it as this first month has been soo confusing. However be aware that you could get pregnant straight away or spend the months symptom spotting lol I said I wouldn't but I have !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->