Stopping BF after 19 weeks

MishC

Has a little princess!!
Reaction score
Hi ladies I have decided to stop bf after 19 successful weeks.

What's the best /most painless way to stop milk production and how long does it take?

Cheers

Short answer: cabbage leaves in your bra.

I just stopped pumping after doing it exclusively for 11 months. I did everything I could to taper down my supply gradually over several weeks. even though my supply declined I kept making lots of milk and my breasts were always engorged and painful.

This went on for weeks and I wasn't sure what to do. I had read about using cabbage leaves as a homeopathic remedy to dry up breast milk and thought it sounded ridiculous. I reach the point of feeling desperate and figured "what the hell - cabbage leaves won't hurt anything...”

within 3 days my breasts felt pretty much empty and I had no further pain. I smelled like coleslaw, and still don't understand the science of it, but it was worth it. I'd recommend Savoy cabbage since the soft leaves conform nicely to bra shape - LOL.

I've heard that cabbage leaves help and lots of peppermint (tea or fresh leaves in salads etc) can help dry up milk...

I would recommend doing it gradually if you can to make it easier on you both...

I've heard that cabbage leaves help and lots of peppermint (tea or fresh leaves in salads etc) can help dry up milk...

I would recommend doing it gradually if you can to make it easier on you both...

Yeah, cutting down on feeds until you eventually stop entirely will be much easier on your body than just stopping abruptly. You could try dropping one feed every day for a week or two. You will probably end up with some engorgement, but hopefully not too bad! Try to avoid the temptation to pump to relieve the engorgement; that'll just stimulate your supply and leave you in a worse position! Hot showers or a hot washcloth on your breasts can help ease any pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->