Stories and reassurance about vbacs

bumpwishes

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm currently a mummy to my 8 month old son who was born by emcs. I had the perfect pregnancy but my son decided to start his arrival late afternoon. I laboured all night and got very tired. I agreed to pethadine which was the worst decision. I stopped being upright and lay down which I think slowed my progress.

Dilation slowed around 7cm and the nurse put my syntocin drip in incorrectly so my arm tissued! My son turned the wrong way and at 9cm I was told I had to have a section.

Unfortunately my epidural wasn't enough to stop me feeling them cut me open and I was put to sleep. I missed the birth of my little boy and I feel so down about it still. I was robbed of a natural water birth delivery and then robbed of seeing his face straight away.

We are thinking about baby number two in the near future. I was told the day after my emcs that I can have
a vbac next time but I'm terrified. I'd love a vbac and several more babies but I'm scared I'll have to have another csection and that I'll be limited to 2 kids only.

I know any children are a blessing but if you have any stories that will give me some reassurance I'd be greatful. Thank you

I've no success stories but I will be following this post also to hear of some ladies that have. I'm also like you I had an emergency c section due to failure to progress. I was induced at 37 weeks due to iugr, I had prostins to get me to 1cm dilated then had my waters broke and put on a syntocinon hormone drip to bring on contractions. After 18 hours of contractions I was only 4cm dilated so the doctor advised a c section, I was devastated. I had to wait an hour to go to theatre as there was another lady in there so the took me off the drip and told me my contractions would stop but they didn't they just got stronger. I had gone into natural labour after all the interventions. Once in theatre they checked me again and I had gone from 4cm to 6cm so proof I was contracting and dilating on my own but they still went ahead with the c section. I've found it really hard to get my head around the birth and keep asking myself 'what if I had refused the c section, would I have got a normal delivery?' My first born was also an induced labour with no complications and a normal delivery. Me and my oh so want more children but I'm terrified that the c section will cause problems conceiving and if I do get pregnant that I will end up with a csection again. I would really want a vbac so success stories may just give me the hope I feel I need right now xx

I've no success stories but I will be following this post also to hear of some ladies that have. I'm also like you I had an emergency c section due to failure to progress. I was induced at 37 weeks due to iugr, I had prostins to get me to 1cm dilated then had my waters broke and put on a syntocinon hormone drip to bring on contractions. After 18 hours of contractions I was only 4cm dilated so the doctor advised a c section, I was devastated. I had to wait an hour to go to theatre as there was another lady in there so the took me off the drip and told me my contractions would stop but they didn't they just got stronger. I had gone into natural labour after all the interventions. Once in theatre they checked me again and I had gone from 4cm to 6cm so proof I was contracting and dilating on my own but they still went ahead with the c section. I've found it really hard to get my head around the birth and keep asking myself 'what if I had refused the c section, would I have got a normal delivery?' My first born was also an induced labour with no complications and a normal delivery. Me and my oh so want more children but I'm terrified that the c section will cause problems conceiving and if I do get pregnant that I will end up with a csection again. I would really want a vbac so success stories may just give me the hope I feel I need right now xx

Hi Charliekay,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, though it is nice to find something who feels how I do.

It's so sad to hear that they did a section even though you were progressing naturally! I often think about the what its and I drive myself mad.I hope that you find the answers you want and have successful pregnancies and births in the future xx

Im in this situation at the moment, midwife said I need to take time to think about it and make a decision. My DD was an emergency, I was in labour for 30 hours then right at the end, the midwife thought it was the head she could feel it was actually her bum! She was doubled in half, and I got rushed down to surgery really quickly, I was terrified, I didn't have time to think, I didn't know if she was ok, I can remember being sat double over on the table to have the spinal block put in and I was having contractions at the same time, while having to remain completely still, it was the most horrendous pain!! He'd just got the block in and the surgeon was saying he had to start, hardly had any time to let me get numb first. Thankfully I had a healthy baby girl but I was totally traumatised by it all. It didn't really hit me until I went home I think, I felt like a total failure that I couldn't give birth.

The whole experience of labour and birth was awful, the midwives were snippy, like they didn't have time, very under staffed, there were no labour rooms availble when I was in active labour so had to labour in ward, couldn't even have gas & air, most they could offer was paracetamol! I was examined once at 5am when I first went in then left alone all day, they wouldn't listen when i said I was in active labour, wouldn't check me again.

So im not pregnant with no.2 and totally stuck on what to do, I would love to experience giving birth naturally but have a real fear of something going wrong again, the recovery is much worse from section, but think im swaying towards a more calm, planned section this time.

I find the whole thing so scary this time because its so unpredictable and no one can guarantee what's going to happen

Im in this situation at the moment, midwife said I need to take time to think about it and make a decision. My DD was an emergency, I was in labour for 30 hours then right at the end, the midwife thought it was the head she could feel it was actually her bum! She was doubled in half, and I got rushed down to surgery really quickly, I was terrified, I didn't have time to think, I didn't know if she was ok, I can remember being sat double over on the table to have the spinal block put in and I was having contractions at the same time, while having to remain completely still, it was the most horrendous pain!! He'd just got the block in and the surgeon was saying he had to start, hardly had any time to let me get numb first. Thankfully I had a healthy baby girl but I was totally traumatised by it all. It didn't really hit me until I went home I think, I felt like a total failure that I couldn't give birth.

The whole experience of labour and birth was awful, the midwives were snippy, like they didn't have time, very under staffed, there were no labour rooms availble when I was in active labour so had to labour in ward, couldn't even have gas & air, most they could offer was paracetamol! I was examined once at 5am when I first went in then left alone all day, they wouldn't listen when i said I was in active labour, wouldn't check me again.

So im not pregnant with no.2 and totally stuck on what to do, I would love to experience giving birth naturally but have a real fear of something going wrong again, the recovery is much worse from section, but think im swaying towards a more calm, planned section this time.

I find the whole thing so scary this time because its so unpredictable and no one can guarantee what's going to happen

Hi Gem,

I'm sorry to hear about your traumatic experience.

I see you still have a lot of time to decide whether to have an elective or vbac. Hopefully your midwives will be supportive and helpful in guiding you to a decision you are happy with.

You will have to let us know how things go and I wish you all the best and hope that you get the birth you wish for- or as close to it as possible.

Hi ladies!!

I'm here to offer hope! DD was born via a planned c-section because she was breech. I got pregnant when she was 10 months, and was hoping for a vbac from the start! At my 20 week ultrasound, the technician said I had placenta previa. I was so sad! Thankfully, my placenta moved up. I went in to labour at 38.5 weeks and delivered a healthy baby boy! I was so happy to have a successful vbac!

It was a really hard labour (48 hours from start to finish!!), but I never regretted it. I was only at 2.5 cm after 40 hours, which was SO hard, but then I took the epidural and my labour progressed.

I hope you ladies get the birth experience that you're hoping for, and most of all a healthy baby! Xxx

Hi ladies!!

I'm here to offer hope! DD was born via a planned c-section because she was breech. I got pregnant when she was 10 months, and was hoping for a vbac from the start! At my 20 week ultrasound, the technician said I had placenta previa. I was so sad! Thankfully, my placenta moved up. I went in to labour at 38.5 weeks and delivered a healthy baby boy! I was so happy to have a successful vbac!

It was a really hard labour (48 hours from start to finish!!), but I never regretted it. I was only at 2.5 cm after 40 hours, which was SO hard, but then I took the epidural and my labour progressed.

I hope you ladies get the birth experience that you're hoping for, and most of all a healthy baby! Xxx

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so pleased for you! It's great to hear you got your vbac. Tough labour though, you did so well. They clearly didn't mind you labouring so long? Did you talk to your go before TTC number 2? I'm not sure if I should check and get their views. I'm still breast feeding and haven't got AF back yet. We want to try soon.

Bumpwishes: My Doctor had advised me to space the births at least 18 months apart. That was my hospital's policy in terms of offering a vbac. Aside from that, my doctor was really into natural birthing, and she never let anyone else deliver her patients' babies. She herself had had a vbac for her second child, and she knew how much I wanted it. That's why she didn't intervene before she did, even though I was begging lol! For sure you change your mind when you're at that level of pain. During the labour, I was beginning to think that she was just mean! But after when it was successful I was so grateful! I don't think any other doctor would have let me labour so long. The nurses couldn't believe that I was having a vbac!

Ohhh, our lo's are just days apart! I just got my first AF 5 days ago! I weaned my son about a month ago, waited 28ish days, grew impatient for AF, and took black cohosh for 2 days and BAM! AF showed! I hope yours comes soon! :flower:

Bumpwishes: My Doctor had advised me to space the births at least 18 months apart. That was my hospital's policy in terms of offering a vbac. Aside from that, my doctor was really into natural birthing, and she never let anyone else deliver her patients' babies. She herself had had a vbac for her second child, and she knew how much I wanted it. That's why she didn't intervene before she did, even though I was begging lol! For sure you change your mind when you're at that level of pain. During the labour, I was beginning to think that she was just mean! But after when it was successful I was so grateful! I don't think any other doctor would have let me labour so long. The nurses couldn't believe that I was having a vbac!

Ohhh, our lo's are just days apart! I just got my first AF 5 days ago! I weaned my son about a month ago, waited 28ish days, grew impatient for AF, and took black cohosh for 2 days and BAM! AF showed! I hope yours comes soon! :flower:

I think, though it's a huge blur, that the hospital told me 2 years, though I don't know if this is between giving birth again or conceiving. I think I'll go see my go soon.
Its so good about your doctor though, so many wouldn't do what's in your interest, they'd just do the option they thinks more medically safe. I know I gave in to my epi even though I didn't want one- I couldn't predict the pain aha.

Ooooh :) lovely. I don't want to wean yet and I don't think my lo would allow it aha. I've heard some people conceive whilst bf. I've never wished for AF before. Thanks :). What's black cohosh??

Good idea to check with your hospital! ;) Yeah, I was so happy to have the doctor that I did. She stopped her practice, so I'm going to need to find another doctor next time around!

Haha! This was the first time I wished for AF too!! You can still O while breastfeeding! Black cohosh is an herb. I took it in capsule form. I only ended up taking 4 capsules of 100 mg over 4 days and AF showed! I researched it before!

I hope that you conceive when you want to! Xxx

I had an emergency c section under general with ds1 and was traumatised by missing the birth and not getting to see my son etc. I tried for VBAC with ds2 but unfortunately failed to progress so ended up with a second c section but this time under a spinal which was a million times better as I got to see my son when he was born and dh got to be there as well.
My silver lining is that 5 years later I really don't care about their births. They are my boys and it doesn't matter that I was asleep when ds1 was born. I thought I'd never get over it but you do.
I hope your VBAC goes ok if that's what you decide to do.

I had an emergency c section under general with ds1 and was traumatised by missing the birth and not getting to see my son etc. I tried for VBAC with ds2 but unfortunately failed to progress so ended up with a second c section but this time under a spinal which was a million times better as I got to see my son when he was born and dh got to be there as well.
My silver lining is that 5 years later I really don't care about their births. They are my boys and it doesn't matter that I was asleep when ds1 was born. I thought I'd never get over it but you do.
I hope your VBAC goes ok if that's what you decide to do.

Thanks banshee, I'm so pleased that you at least got to see your second sons birth despite a failed vbac. I hope that I won't care either eventually, maybe if I see my second child's birth whether by vbac or c section I'll find it easier to get over.

Thanks again. X

I had emcs after 11 hours in labour. ..I was 2 weeks over and didn't progress past 4cm. but 2nd baby my waters broke at home at 34 weeks, I laboured for 6 hours all the way to 10cm and then his heart rate went ..so they did emergency forceps. But aparamtly I had a successful vbac! Currently pregnant with #3 and have c section booked for due date if I don't go naturally... I'm not sure how I feel about having a natural birth again x

I had emcs after 11 hours in labour. ..I was 2 weeks over and didn't progress past 4cm. but 2nd baby my waters broke at home at 34 weeks, I laboured for 6 hours all the way to 10cm and then his heart rate went ..so they did emergency forceps. But aparamtly I had a successful vbac! Currently pregnant with #3 and have c section booked for due date if I don't go naturally... I'm not sure how I feel about having a natural birth again x

Hi Sopho, thank you for sharing your story. It's great you had a successful vbac with your dc2 even after only reaching 4cm the first time. Congratulatiobsbon your current pregnancy. I hope you have the birth you want. What do you mean, are you unsure whether you prefer a c section or vbac? Xx

Hi ladies, I'm currently preparing for a vbac! Pretty much same story as y'all with #1. Water broke, "slow" progression, cascade of interventions ending in emcs under general. I'm determined to get my vbac and my dr is super supportive!!!! I'll update when baby is here!

Hi ladies, I'm currently preparing for a vbac! Pretty much same story as y'all with #1. Water broke, "slow" progression, cascade of interventions ending in emcs under general. I'm determined to get my vbac and my dr is super supportive!!!! I'll update when baby is here!

Congratulations and good luck!! I hope to hear about your successful vbac. How far apart were your pregnancies? X

Dd will be 23 months when this one is born, would have been 19 months but we lost that baby, but my dr was perfectly fine with me going to for vbac then!! I've been really doing a lot of preparation for this pregnancy. I'm really excited to see if any of it pays off!!
The things I've been doing:
1) chiropractic care
2) exercising and stretching (including walking 2-3 miles a day, 25-50 squats a day, other exercises, stretching)
3) eating healthy and watching my weight (gained wayyyyyyy too much thefirst time around) I'm currently at 11 lbs gained at almost 29 weeks!
4) learning everything I can about every scenario possible. Learning the risks, pros, cons to everything.
5) avoiding interventions like sweeps/strip membranes, not going to try to get her out (I'll let my body decide), not going to get anxious about dates and when I want her here.
6) labor at home as long as possible unless water breaks (gbs+)

If I think of anything else I'll add it!

Dd will be 23 months when this one is born, would have been 19 months but we lost that baby, but my dr was perfectly fine with me going to for vbac then!! I've been really doing a lot of preparation for this pregnancy. I'm really excited to see if any of it pays off!!
The things I've been doing:
1) chiropractic care
2) exercising and stretching (including walking 2-3 miles a day, 25-50 squats a day, other exercises, stretching)
3) eating healthy and watching my weight (gained wayyyyyyy too much thefirst time around) I'm currently at 11 lbs gained at almost 29 weeks!
4) learning everything I can about every scenario possible. Learning the risks, pros, cons to everything.
5) avoiding interventions like sweeps/strip membranes, not going to try to get her out (I'll let my body decide), not going to get anxious about dates and when I want her here.
6) labor at home as long as possible unless water breaks (gbs+)

If I think of anything else I'll add it!

I'm sorry for you loss xx

Would you mind explaing more about how 1 & 2 might help? I had two sweeps before and I definitely think I'll avoid it next time round and let my body decide. I'd be too afraid to keep labouring at home personally. I have reasons why I would want to be closely monitored from the start. I also needed g&a for hours before my waters broke last time.

Sure!
I'm doing chiropractic care because I want to make sure my pelvis is in perfect alignment. I didn't bother with this last time even though it was recommended and I regret it so bad. Without perfect alignment our pelvis can sometimes be restricted in its movements including opening up to its fullest during birth. If nothing else I feel amazing, especially compared with last time, I was so achey and miserable, this time I really feel awesome. I never believed in going to the chiropractor, I always thought they were quackey, but I'm a believer if for nothing more than my comfort, I can tell a huge difference after each adjustment! Looking forward to see if it helps my labor at all!!! The second reason is because when our spines and pelvis are in alignment it allows baby to be better positioned. My dd was positioned all wrong during labor, acinclytic, back to back , so I'm hoping this actually helps with this. Which kind of goes along with #2. Exercising and stretching, allows my body to stay fit and limber. Which is also important for babies positioning. This little one is still all over the place and moves in and out of different positions but I have noticed she tends to get into better position than dd1 did, dd1 was always in the same position on the left side of me, legs outstretched to the right side of my rib cage and head resting on the left iliac crest.
I am just trying everything I feel comfortable with because I want to look back and know I did everything I could to try to succeed.

The reason I am choosing to labor at home until I just can't anymore is because I really think being in the hospital so long last time stalled labor for me. I do have a doppler and will use it intermittently and I feel at any time uncomfortable I won't hesitate to go in, but I definitely think it's ok to trust my body and my dr actually said she'd send me home if I wasn't very dilated (past 3-4) or progression slowed, and she's very cautious so I trust she wouldn't advise me otherwise unless she felt good about it!!

Hi bumpwishes. During my vbac I lost 2.2 litres of blood so they drs have said I can have c section as it was v traumatic or if I try for vbac again then I'll b a low threshold for c section incase same happens again.. I just feel.v nervous about it. But I was only 34 weeks when I had my son .fingers crossed I get to term this time and all.goes well . It's amazing to actually have a vbac ,I'm so happy I was able to labour all the way with minimal pain aswel. Let's hope baby 3 is kind to me haha x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->