storing bottles of formula, anyone.. FTM :(

My HV and doc told me to ignore the whole thing about the water having to be at a certain temp to kill bacteria so what ive always done (I also took advice from other mums on this cause I was clueless too) is fill the bottles with just over half of whatever size feed it is using boiled water and put in fridge then when needing to make up a feed make the bottle up to the full amount needed then add powder so the feed will be at perfect temperature and no need to heat it up so if making a 4 ounce feed have just over 2 ounces in fridge, add water up to 4 ounce mark then your 4 scoops of formula. Works a treat and no heating needed.x

This is how I do it too, so easy and perfect temp bottles with little fuss! X

:dohh: just posted exactly the same idea! Would help if I read the whole thread! X

People do make it in advance and it's fine. The way I do it is to put a small amount of boiled water into the bottles and then put them in the firdge then when he wants feeding I put boiling water to make up to the amount of mls needed and add the formula striaght away - it still needs cooling down but much quicker. Basically you can;t add the milk to boiling water as it will burn so that;s why you leave the kettle for 30 mins once boiled so I figured if there is already a bit of cool water in there then it will be at the same temp as the water would be if left oin kettle for 30 mins -hope that makes sense.
When he was very young and we didn;t know what we were doing we used to make up the next bottle when he had a bottle so it would only ever be in the frdige for 3 hrs max really

So much conflicting info out there. I know a lot of people used to and still do take powder out with them and water separately. But you need to have hot water because the powder isn't sterile. I make up 4 bottles at a time and store them in the fridge. If I'm going out, I just take a couple with me. I've never had any problems doing this and I think this was part of the guidelines a few years ago - to make them up and just leave on the side (so no refridgeration), although that's obviously changed. Now you are supposed to make up fresh bottles every feed but that's not very practical x

Doctors and health visitors SHOULD NOT be telling people that they do not need to add formula powder to water that is 70C or above, they should only be giving out evidence based advice.

Formula powder is not sterile and can contain salmonella and cronobacter. The risk of your baby getting these from formula milks is very small, however they are both potentially life threatening and babies have died from having formula containing these.

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/making-up-infant-formula.aspx#close

so basically everybody does it differently!!!!!! :)

Doctors and health visitors SHOULD NOT be telling people that they do not need to add formula powder to water that is 70C or above, they should only be giving out evidence based advice.

Formula powder is not sterile and can contain salmonella and cronobacter. The risk of your baby getting these from formula milks is very small, however they are both potentially life threatening and babies have died from having formula containing these.

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/making-up-infant-formula.aspx#close

I agree they shouldnt given thats the most current guidelines from the NHS (which will no doubt change in a year or two) but I personally dont believe that they would say that its ok if they thought for one minute that they were putting anyones baby at risk. I dont use water above 70 degrees but Im not remotely concerned about it (and Im completely neurotic about my LO).

Like Eulmh82 says, everyone does it differently I guess. x

My daughter eats room temp bottles. When she was very little and would wake up a lot at night we would set up all her bottles at night with water and just added formula when needed.

I keep hot water in a thermos flask, so I've got enough hot water to make up a few bottles as I go without boiling the kettle and allowing it to cool. It will stay warm for about 8 hours. No waiting with a screaming baby but still playing it safe in terms of killing off bacteria. :thumbup:I've got a smaller flask for going out but will use the cartons if I'm out for a long time.

My HV and doc told me to ignore the whole thing about the water having to be at a certain temp to kill bacteria so what ive always done (I also took advice from other mums on this cause I was clueless too) is fill the bottles with just over half of whatever size feed it is using boiled water and put in fridge then when needing to make up a feed make the bottle up to the full amount needed then add powder so the feed will be at perfect temperature and no need to heat it up so if making a 4 ounce feed have just over 2 ounces in fridge, add water up to 4 ounce mark then your 4 scoops of formula. Works a treat and no heating needed.x

We do this, as recommended by my HV.
If we're going out we just take the half filled cold bottles, formula in dispenser and just ask cafe/restaurant for boiled water to fill up to required amount. No probs :) Also means when twinnies need feeding we have to go for coffee and cake as we need to get hot water :coffee::haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->