storing bottles of formula, anyone.. FTM :(

RoxieHart

Baking #2
Reaction score
Aghhhh ! I'm freaking out!

I'm combination feeding but we are more so on formula, LO is nearly 3 days old!

Can I store prepared bottles ? I know there are loads of rules and regulations about it all ... People say make it when it's needed? ..

How does everyone do it? Any advice would be really handy please! Getting stressed out over how to make it easier!

Thanks xx

I put boiled water in 2-3 bottles at a time and have the Tommee tippee storage pots. If we go out I put formula in the pots ready to add to the milk when needed. Is that any help?

I also put fresh boiled water in 2-3 bottles at a time and add formula when its time to feed. When i go out i just make up a feed with boiled water and go if i know LO will drink it within 2 hours but you can buy formula powder dispensers that you can store the correct amount of formula powder in x

I think its ok to store it in the fridge but I also find it easier to put water into bottles and powder in dispensers. That way I dont have to worry about how many hours they've been made up for.

I've always made up a few bottles at a time and stored them in the fridge. I added the formula to the water about 20 mins after its been boiled, rapid cool it by putting the bottle in cold water and then store in the fridge right at the back. I try to use the bottles within 12 hrs, but sometimes its a little over that x

Out and about i take bottles with water only in them and add the formula as i'm going to use it x

I make my bottles and store them in the fridge. I pop them into a bottle warmer when LO is ready for a feed and I chuck away any bottles that aren't used within 24 hours (although I tend to just make 4 bottles at a time, so I never waste bottles). When we are out, I take the pre made cartoons of formula and use a tommee tipee flask to warm them :flower:.

Put the boiled water in the bottles too cool. Then as and when needed heat the bottles in either a jug of hot water or the microwave, add the formula and your good to go!!
I tried everyyyyy other way of doing it and found this by far the easiest!
Making bottles up fresh = screaming hungry baby
Storing made up in fridge = wasn't for me, as when we went out I didn't want too have to take them in a cool bag etc.

Hope it helps x

Think I'm pretty much going to go with the idea of sterilizing bottles, filling up 4ish with the boiling water, and adding formula when needed. I can heat up once the formula is in right? by putting the bottle into a jug/bowl of hot water? Am i right? lol xx

Think I'm pretty much going to go with the idea of sterilizing bottles, filling up 4ish with the boiling water, and adding formula when needed. I can heat up once the formula is in right? by putting the bottle into a jug/bowl of hot water? Am i right? lol xx

Yep thats right :)

My HV and doc told me to ignore the whole thing about the water having to be at a certain temp to kill bacteria so what ive always done (I also took advice from other mums on this cause I was clueless too) is fill the bottles with just over half of whatever size feed it is using boiled water and put in fridge then when needing to make up a feed make the bottle up to the full amount needed then add powder so the feed will be at perfect temperature and no need to heat it up so if making a 4 ounce feed have just over 2 ounces in fridge, add water up to 4 ounce mark then your 4 scoops of formula. Works a treat and no heating needed.x

Milk powder isn't steralized so adding to cold water means you will then have milk containing bacteria, make up the bottles correctly by adding milk to boiled water cooled for 30 minutes then cool and stick in fridge - heat up using hot water. You can take out one of these bottles to be used up within 4 hours or just take out steralized bottle and use the pre-made milk cartons x

Milk powder isn't steralized so adding to cold water means you will then have milk containing bacteria, make up the bottles correctly by adding milk to boiled water cooled for 30 minutes then cool and stick in fridge - heat up using hot water. You can take out one of these bottles to be used up within 4 hours or just take out steralized bottle and use the pre-made milk cartons x

Thats what the HV and doc told me to ignore about the bacteria. They said as long as you use water thats been boiled from a newly filled kettle it was fine even if cooled or cold. They said the only reason they say to use boiling is the formula companies to cover themselves but there was far more risk of baby getting ill from a bottle that had been sitting for 4 hours made up than from one made with cool water.

I know everyone has been told different of course so not suggesting that other people shouldnt think differently about it. x

Well you do have to be more careful with young and ill babys as there is bacteria in the powder I wouldn't say it would be to do with the water being freah - you have to use fresh water as the mineral content can change in repeatedly boiled water - there are various government and health based articles that explain the reasons and why its better to make up the bottle fully such as this one https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...moHoCg&usg=AFQjCNFDOaWMNcNyBngsdwGtAIxTTk4qNQ , and to be honest it is also less hassle just to make them up or use the cartons x

no i think u need to heat the water first then add the formula as it should be added to hot water.

Im pretty confused about it to but the hv had the idea of putting the boiled hot water into bottle then cooling the bottle to correct temp in a bowl of water. Then adding formula.
The whole 'let kettle cool for 30 mins' thing is confusing and annoying.

I make all mine up in the morning add formula to boiled water which I've left to cool for 30 mins then store in fridge until needed. Your supposed to add the formula when the water is above 70 oc to kill the bacteria in the formula as the power isn't sterile xx

The formula isn't sterile and there's a small chance that there could be something in there which could make your baby ill, this is why formula companies advise to make the bottles up each time according to their regulations. I don't know anyone that actually does this in reality though! All my friends add the powder to cooled boiled water and have never had any probs.

I have just started combi feeding and my boy likes his bottles warm so I boil the kettle, let it settle for a bit but not 30 mins, more like five then pour say half of the required amount into a bottle, add the powder so it's sterilised and then I top up with cold water to the full amount that way the milk is sterile but I don't have to wait for it to cool down. Oh and I use another bottle to measure the rest of the cold water out as once the powder has been added it changes the liquid amount slightly!

Sounds like hassle but it works for us!

I have heard others on here do the same as the pp, but are u supposed to?

If you doing it this way i would heat the water then add the formula but not because I think it will cause harm to baby, just because ive found the formula mixes better when the water isnt straight out the fridge. It can stick to the sides when you shake it if its really cold. x

With my first, we used to pour 1/2 boiling water into bottles, let that cool then when a feed was needed we would put another half of fresh boiled hot water and the formula powder in, eg for a 6oz feed let 3oz boiled water cool then put in fridge, then top up with another 3oz boiling water when needed. Add the powder, mix and feed. Was always at the perfect warm temperature. As soon as I can get youngest off of ready made milk ill be doing this again x

My HV and doc told me to ignore the whole thing about the water having to be at a certain temp to kill bacteria so what ive always done (I also took advice from other mums on this cause I was clueless too) is fill the bottles with just over half of whatever size feed it is using boiled water and put in fridge then when needing to make up a feed make the bottle up to the full amount needed then add powder so the feed will be at perfect temperature and no need to heat it up so if making a 4 ounce feed have just over 2 ounces in fridge, add water up to 4 ounce mark then your 4 scoops of formula. Works a treat and no heating needed.x

This is how I do it too, so easy and perfect temp bottles with little fuss! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->