Storing expressed milk.

Angelface

Mummy to a princess &Bump
Reaction score
How long can i store expressed milk in the back of the fridge? X

I believe its just 24 hours in the fridge. You would be better to freeze it, I think its 3 months then.

Hi,

If its stored at the back of the fridge it can last for 3-5 days.

xx

Hiya if you go on kellymom.com it gives you all the details on there a put storing. You can have it 8 days in the fridge.

i was told 5 days lol, how is it that everyones told different?!?

x

I think it's because it depends on the temperature of your fridge. Any fridge will be ok for 24 hours, a really cold one will be ok for days. But you need to monitor the temp with a thermometer because opening the door too much makes it warmer.

Yeah...make sure it's not in the door of the fridge as the temp fluctuates too much. The back of the fridge is best and make sure it's not near anything strong smelling as milk easily absorbs other flavours and aromas.

Get a fridge thermometer from Lakeland or somewhere, I think I saw them in Asda too actually.

This is very up to date information and reading the whole thing may be more helpful than me just cutting and pasting

https://www.llli.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

Here's a bit cut and pasted from La Leche League.......

What are the LLLI guidelines for storing my pumped milk?

Your milk is a living substance so precious some call it "white blood". It is essential to store your expressed (pumped) milk properly to maximize its nutritional and anti-infective qualities. Human milk actually has anti-bacterial properties that help it to stay fresh. Giving your baby the freshest milk you have pumped ensures its high quality.

This information is based on current research and applies to mothers who:

have healthy, full-term babies;
are storing their milk for home use (as opposed to hospital use);
wash their hands before expressing;
use containers that have been washed in hot, soapy water and rinsed.
Storage Guidelines
All milk should be dated before storing. Storing milk in 2-4 ounce amounts may reduce waste. Refrigerated milk has more anti-infective properties than frozen milk. Cool fresh milk in the refrigerator before adding it to previously frozen milk.

Preferably, human milk should be refrigerated or chilled right after it is expressed. Acceptable guidelines for storing human milk are as follows. Store milk:

at room temperature (66-78°F, 19-26°C) for 4 hours (ideal), up to 6 hours (acceptable) (Some sources use 8 hours)
in a refrigerator (<39°F, <4°C) for 72 hours (ideal); up to 8 days (acceptable)
in a freezer (-0.4 to -4°F, -18 to -20°C) for 6 months (ideal) up to 12 months (acceptable)

My Health Visitor told me a month ago that the rules were changing on storing breast milk, and that it can now be stored in the fridge for 5 days. She told me also that you can express some one day and add to it each day, but that it all must be used no later than 5 days after the first batch was expressed.

3 to 6 days at the back of the fridge.

My Health Visitor told me a month ago that the rules were changing on storing breast milk, and that it can now be stored in the fridge for 5 days. She told me also that you can express some one day and add to it each day, but that it all must be used no later than 5 days after the first batch was expressed.

If you are adding to it, you must 1st cool it to fridge temp before adding it to the original bottle...otherwise you are raising the temp of the milk each time and it will grow tonnes of bacteria and make baby very sick. I wouldn't recommend doing this anyway. Best to store it in individual days and mix....say 2 bottles togeather as you are about to feed it to baby.

I'm afraid Heath Visitors aren't always the best people for up to date breastfeeding/storage info as it changes very often and they tell you what "they" believe is right and not what has been scientifically proven IYKWIM? La Leche League is very good for up to date info:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->