Straining/writhing/crying followed by foul smelling pumps

MNORBURY

Reaction score
Our little girl has had foul smelling wind since day 1 and her poo was only coming once every 2 days. She has gone more frequently this past couple of days but is really uncomfortable, especially at night and the only way she is comforted is by nursing but I'm worried something with my milk is what's causing the problems, therefore comfort nursing will only add to the problem. Would i be better giving her comfort from a dummy as she will take one? It seems to me she is getting stomach pains, possibly due to bad wind. I'm considering taking dairy out of my diet to see if that's what's causing her to be so uncomfortable.

I've toyed with the idea that she is cluster feeding but she wouldn't be squirming like she is in pain then pumping if that was the case would she? Could it be colic? I'm at a bit of a loss and not sure what to do to help her :(

just wanted to say if you do cut out dairy it can take a couple of weeks for you to see an improvement. As dairy takes time to clear your system and then their system.

My LO had that problem too but she seems to have grown out of it. I remember I used infacol to start witg because she was too young for gripe water. She liked the taste of it. It worked here & there but I didn't use it all the time as I'd always forget & it does need a build up to be if any use. I think our problem was my oversupply. Smelly wind & tummy ache can be a symptom of overactive letdoen and of too much foremilk. Anyway it gradually righted itself.

Thanks joo, I was wondering about my letdown and foremilk issues and have put her back to the same breast after she's pulled off rather than swapping straight away, she seems to have had less wind today but not sure if its coincidence x

Could it be acid reflux or silent reflux? We are going through similar at the moment with DS where he screams/crys through a feed or a while after a feed, he isnt always sick but always cries and he has been diagnosed with reflux and is on meds (not helping yet but we hope they will kick in soon) x

Sound like could be colicky my baby was similar when first born except wasn't smelly. Infacol was amazing and worked really well u do need to use it every feed though.

Intersting about the let down! I had over supply baby used to choke and gag on my milk even stopped breathing for a few second a few times (very scary) because of it. Didn't know that bad wind could be because of it though

That was exactly how both my babies acted with acid reflux. DD was treated with medication and it didn't help at all. She grew out of it at about 3-4 months old. DS was diagnosed with the same and Zantac was prescribed. I told the doctor that I didn't give it to him immediately, and his symptoms went away on their own just before 3 months.

I don't know if all children grow out of it that early, but I do know that a lot of them do when the digestive system matures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->