Stressed to the max!!! Boss wants to cut wage in half!!!

Kelx44

Reaction score
So I'm 12 weeks pregnant. My job is a very dangerous job as I'm am an embalmer dealing with harmful chemicals and contagious diseases. Got a doctors note saying I can't embalm gave it too him 2 months ago everything was fine. I'm now on janitorial duties, office work etc.. On Friday he said he wants my wage cut in half and put me on call when he needs me which is obviously never!!! He says since I'm pregnant I can't do my job and he doesn't need me around because there is other ppl who can do what I do for less money. In Canada it's illegal to discriminate against a pregnant women and to cut her wages down and hours! The employer has to modify a pregnant women's duties that's it! And I've been crying and stressed to the Max over this!!! How cruel can a person be! Screw my wage and my maternity leave! This is my life! I'm scared I could miscarry because of this stress! I understand I'm useless at work but you cant discrimate and do that. He was all upset because now he doesn't have an embalmer and can't go to Mexico for 2 months because he's understaffed! Doesn't he realize by doing this too me I may never return after maternity!!! So appauld!!

He can't do that to you, especially since he brought up your pregnancy. I'd just tell him that things like that are against the law and you will not tolerate it. You're at a point in your life that you cannot be dealing with the additional stress of things that shouldn't matter and yeah.

In the UK it's unlawful to do that to a pregnant woman, where I work we have a lady who can't do her normal job so is doing office work we'd normally pay half the amount for but we still have to pay her full wage. No discrimination. You say laws are the same there, I'd speak to your boss and calmly aha that what he's doing is against the law, and seek advice from (do you have an organisation that supports workers there?). Good luck, don't be bullied into anything!

They aren't allowed to do that.

I can't do my job now I'm pregnant so I've been off work since I told my line manager that I'm pregnant. I'll return to work after my 12 week scan but I'll be on massively reduced hours and only doing basic admin tasks along with any other girls who are pregnant. Not only are they not paying my less, they're probably paying me a little bit more than what I would normally be earning for this time of year as I get an average of my last 3 months pay before I became pregnant.

Do you have a union or a professional body that you can speak to? Your boss sounds like a jerk! xx

talk to a lawyer, it's illegal. it might make for an uncomfortable few months but u will have decent pay maternity and time to figure out what u want to do after the baby cones!

Yes we have a labor board where I live! Ill be defiantly talking to them Monday about this. It will be hell at work for the next while I imagine! He won't make it easy for me. And lawyer would cost too much money I'd be better of quitting then hiring one lol. But we have a good labor board so hope it all works out! Scared for Monday. :(

I don't think you need to consider a lawyer, maybe if technically he was going something wrong or it was a grey area but this is out and out, no question about it, discrimination.

Good luck :) xx

Just to add to what everyone else said, keep a log of any incidents in case you have to bring it to An employment tribunal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->