Stretch and sweep uk

zilla

Reaction score
Hi !
Does anyone know when a midwife may do a stretch and sweep ?
my son was born at 39+2 and I know I had a sweep booked for some point but can't remember when it was for.
Does anyone know when they would start doing them at check ups?

My consultant was happy for me to have then from 38 weeks. The community midwifes were more than happy to do them for me (although they haven't done anything as stil lptegnant! )

Some do them at 37weeks. My friend had a sweep at 37 weeks

Think I had it on my due date with the first baby but this time the midwife said she could not do it til I was overdue, so 40+3.

I know sometimes it varies depending on where you live and what their policy is...
I think last time it was either a day before my due date or a day after.
Have my next appointment at 38 weeks and a consultant appointment at 38+6 so wasn't sure if they would try anything at either of these.

First baby my mw did one at 39 weeks. This time she attempted it at 38+1 but baby's head wasn't low enough so she didn't do full sweep. Got mw appt tomorrow at 39 weeks so if baby's head has engaged any more she might attempt it again.
I think it does depend on your mw though- I've seen lots of women posting on here saying their mw won't attempt a sweep until 41 weeks xx

It is different in each county. Personally i would avoid sweeps until min of 41w as sucess rate from this point is much better.

I opted for sweep at 40w this time due to strep b, i otherwise would have just waited until 41w.

My 40w one did nothing, my 41w worked like a treat as it did at 41w with previous baby :)

With my first they said 40 weeks but didn't do it until 41+1 as I couldn't get an appointment at the hospital for it until 41+3 but then went in for a tour and the midwife kindly did it then. The community midwives weren't doing them in the surgeries then.

Second I didn't get that far.

This time I'm under the home birth team and she says she'll do one at my 38 week appointment if I want.

With my first they said 40 weeks but didn't do it until 41+1 as I couldn't get an appointment at the hospital for it until 41+3 but then went in for a tour and the midwife kindly did it then. The community midwives weren't doing them in the surgeries then.

This time I'm under the home birth team and she says she'll do one at my 38 week appointment if I want.

How are you finding the whole home birth booking experience?

I had one booked for no.1 when overdue, which would have been 40+6 when the appointment was scheduled, however I was already in labour when they came on that day so they didn't bother. I had bleeding at 40+4 and gone into hospital and while examining they did a sweep for me then. They said I was already having contractions and labour had begun.

Think they just do them at home also, as it was a home visit by the40+ week appointments

By me they won't do them until you're overdue. My next midwife appointment is bang on 40 weeks and I was told I can ask if she'll do one, but she might say no, it's up to her, they don't routinely do them until at least 41 weeks apparently, so it seems everyone has different policies!

How are you finding the whole home birth booking experience?

It's so positive now there's an actual team! With the last 2 I elected for a home birth but it was a case of whoever happened to be on call in the community midwives on the day and staffing levels and stuff so you might not have anyone attend, or you might not know anybody that came, which wasn't really a big deal but it all felt a bit hit and miss. I got my homebirth both times and luckily knew one of the midwives both times.

This time the homebirth team took over my care at 34 weeks, she came out to my house on Saturday and went through how the team operates, said they information share in the team so whoever attends will know your history and your birth plan even if you've never met. Policies on sweeps, GBS, and induction are all a lot more relaxed than with my last 2, and it's great having them come to my home to do appointments :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->