Strip Wash Needed?

Mynx

Mum of 2 Gorgeous Girls!!
Reaction score
Evie's developed quite a sore looking rash on the inside of her thighs, it looks like the nappies are chaffing her lil chunky legs. Also, some of them are starting to smell, especially once she's had a wee in them! :sick: I'm thinking that it might be time for a strip wash.. I've been using cloth full time now for 7 weeks and not had to do a strip wash yet so I guess this is pretty good ;)

So, what's the best method for strip washing? Do I put the pul covers in too? Or just the inserts and boosters?

I do full dose of detergent then rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse to death....

Mynx if you put some white vinegar (about half a cup full) in the fabric conditioner drawer this usually helps get rid of the build up of detergent out of clothes, so am assuming it would be the same for nappies, I'd probably give them another rinse after that to make sure all the vinegar is out (it won't leave the nappies smelling of vinegar, I promise!)

I use a dishwasher tablet :blush:

Into the drum, hottest wash your nappies can take, and then rinse, rinse and rinse again. I usually do one extra rinse after washing my nappies, I did another one with the tablet.

My nappies came out all fresh and clean smelling, and have been fine since :thumbup: I got this method from someone on CNT, and it's working for me!

I use a dishwasher tablet :blush:

Into the drum, hottest wash your nappies can take, and then rinse, rinse and rinse again. I usually do one extra rinse after washing my nappies, I did another one with the tablet.

My nappies came out all fresh and clean smelling, and have been fine since :thumbup: I got this method from someone on CNT, and it's working for me!

I'm gonna try this :) thanks!

Thanks ladies, so many different ways of doing it! I dont have a dishwasher so will have to go out tomorrow and get some dishwasher tablets I think.. which brand would you say? Supermarket own? I've just done a maintenance wash on my machine (90 degree jobbie!) and it's too late now to be doing strip washing lol, so that'll be tomorrow's job, and possibly Tuesday too! I have so many nappies, it's gonna take a while to get them all done :rofl:

I just bought Asda's own dishwasher tablets - I think they were on offer so it was £3 for a box :thumbup: I got the citrus ones, but my nappies don't actually smell of anything (other than "clean" - don't ask me what that is meant to mean!).

I'm sure I read on CNT about some people doing a strip wash with a full dose of detergent + a scoop of soda crystals (as that also cleans the machine). I can't remember the exact details though, but if you look on CNT it's stickied in one of the sections on how to look after your nappies :D

Yes, I've read about the soda crystals, I might give that a bash first actually cos I think I have some knocking around under the kitchen sink somewhere!

Thanks hun :hugs:

You're welcome :D :hugs:

Let me know if the soda crystals work, I think I have a bag sitting under the sink too :blush:

My nappies smelt pretty :sick: and then (by accident :blush:) did a prewash with full detergent and then a full wash with nothing. After that they didn't smell anymore. It's good being a dozy mare sometimes :)

My nappies smelt pretty :sick: and then (by accident :blush:) did a prewash with full detergent and then a full wash with nothing. After that they didn't smell anymore. It's good being a dozy mare sometimes :)

I've just done that lol so now I'm gonna be sitting here until about one rinsing so all the bubbles have gone x x x

I just did an extra rinse after the cycle and haven't had any problems... think because detergent was only in the prewash the normal wash cycle acted as a few rinses x

fwiw, one of the main ingredients in most dishwasher detergents is sodium carbonate a.k.a. washing soda, so if you don't have a dishwasher, but have the washing soda on hand, you're all set to strip using that method already :thumbup: hth :flower:

I've done the full dose of detergent + lots of rinsing and the dishwasher tablet method and much preferred the dishwasher tablet method, because it took SO many rinses for there to be no bubbles left, in fact I got so sick (after a whole day) that I gave in and took them out, even though there was still a tiny bit of suds. The dishwasher tablet method was so simple and quick, and everything came out smelling of sweet nothing at all. :D

Well I've spent the day strip washing, my machine has never worked so hard :rofl: I've done 2 loads so far and I have 2 more to go which I shall do tomorrow.

The way I did it was a cold wash with a full dose of detergent, then a 60 degree wash with no detergent and did some extra rinses. They needed 2 extra rinses but I gave them 3, just to be sure and they came out smelling fresh rather than stinky :happydance: Hopefully the next 2 lots will be just the same even if it does take all day again!

Thanks for all your advice ladies, I was going to use the soda crystals method, but found I actually had water softener, not soda crystals :haha: so I thought I'd get some dishwasher tabs while I was out shopping and completely forgot about them :dohh: so it was the regular cold wash/warm wash method instead. On the next shopping list is dishwasher tabs for the next time tho :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->