Struggling to feed

sarahsexy57

Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice. My 14 week old little girl loves her milk. Every feed she finishes her bottle (6oz) however the past week or so, it is a constant battle to give her a bottle. She has been bottle fed from day 1 and never had any problem. She gives her hungry cry so I make her bottle. Sit her on my lap and she just goes rigid, trying to get down. I then put the teat to her mouth, she bites it and moves it away with her tongue or pushes it away with her hand. I'm at my wits end with it. I just don't know what to do. Is this a sign she could be ready for weaning. (I know it's early, I don't want anyone to think bad of me for suggesting that) I just don't have a clue now what to do. I'm looking for some friendly advice.

Thank you in advance

Is she maybe wanting another teat size? I had a similar thing with my girl firstly because the teat was too small and milk was coming out too slow and then i got the "variflow" and it was too fast and she got annoyed.. had to get "medium flow" and it was just right.. like goldilocks and the 3 bears porridge :)

I would think it could be possible that she's teething. My daughter was actually teething around 3-4 months for about a week, though the teeth didn't actually break through until 6 months. She had about a week or so of obvious teething signs (which I know now, even though I wasn't sure then) and a tooth appeared under the gum. The most painful part of teething is actually the teeth moving down through the gum, not when they break through. So it's quite possible to experience teething pain well before teeth appear. It might also be that she has or is getting a cold. Babies often go off their milk when they aren't feeling well. And no, it's not a sign she's ready for weaning. Babies need milk as their main source of nutrition up to a year, so you'd need to add food in addition to keeping up the milk, which would just make the whole situation much more difficult. If she isn't wanting her milk, trying to force food into her mouth would likely end up being stressful for both of us (not to mention, early weaning isn't recommended for many reasons, even in the best of situations). Just keep doing what you're doing and I imagine you'll see she eventually pops out of it. You might find offering milk little and often helps.

I agree with the teat size. Both of mine would this. Next sized up teat and they were fine. It's not a sign she wants food.... She doesn't know anything but milk. Even when weaning babies still want milk x

I too would suggest changing teat size first and foremost and then consider teething or sore mouth. I found the most effective thing for DS was a cold wet flannel for him to bite/suck on and then feed him. I think he might have been a bit older though (can't remember), but I think you can use teething gels after 12 weeks.

14 weeks is around the time baby is ready for the next teat size so I'd go with that. Maybe rule out any other mouth problems as the others said. I don't know if bottlefed babies can get thrush or not. Have you tried teasing her with the teat? Rub it around her lips or the side of her mouth to trigger her rooting instincts. Sorry if it's a stupid suggestion or if you've already tried it. I have stubborn babies so I have to often trick my kids into thinking things are their idea.

This might be a stupid suggestion, but, my daughter would totally refuse the bottle if it wasn't warm enough for her.... I thought that she wasn't hungry because she would just kinda bite the bottle and move it out of her mouth and then start getting upset. Took me a couple days to realize that if I warmed the formula for longer in the bottle warmer that she stopped rejecting it.... Maybe try warming it a little more? :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I changed the teat size at 2 months old to number 2 because she would fall asleep not taking enough milk she couldn't get much out. I might change to number 3 just to see how she gets on. She is teething at the moment. I can feel one sharp tooth but it hasn't cut yet. Perhaps it could be that because she chews it. I am going to see the hv today to see what she recommends xxx

Let me know how u get on, Im having the same thing at the moment with my baby. I thought Id sorted it out by changing the teat but gradually shes getting worse and worse again.. crying from hunger, offering bottle, she maybe sucks a couple of times then turns her head and starts flapping around... 30 mins later a hungry cry... offer bottle... sips... repeat until u go insane...

Which tooth can you feel? Is it always the bottom ones that come first cos i cant feel anything although she wont really let me look for long :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->