stuck in a rutt, need help!

SophiasMummy

Mummy to Sophia
Reaction score
So my LO is 14 months now and im a single mum on benifits, i had to give up my job working with horses when i found out i was pregnant because obviously its too dangerous to work on a horse yard while pregnant. I was ecstatic to be pregnant after being told it want possible but was gutted as went to college for 2 years to learn to train horses etc. So now LOs a bit older im wanting to go back to college and get some different qualifications as working with horses is impossible now as the hours are way to long. But i have no clue what i can study that will hopefully get me a half decent job. I was thinking about accounting but i dont know if i can sit there counting numbers all day, im a really active person and the best way for me to learn is practical but obv im gunna have to suck it up and learn to sit at a desk instead. Sorry this is a bit long im just so stuck and wondering if anyone has any ideas of things to study that will help me get a half decent job??? Or if anyone knows who the best person to talk to about going back to college is that would be great?? Im so stuck

Do u attend the lone parent interview things at the jobcentre? As I'm on income support and have to go to those. The woman that deals with me is fantastic and so helpful.. she gave me loads of information about getting funding for courses, studying flexible courses in whatever u want and speaking to someone to help u choose what u went to do. I did end up going to this thing she put me on but quit as it was in an awful area full of horrible people that scared me(I'm not a snob though lol) & I wasn't in a good place at the time. But they may have something like that similar near u? x

If you’re a practical person have you consider something like Hairdressing.

The hours can also be flexible to work around your LO in the future.

Do u attend the lone parent interview things at the jobcentre? As I'm on income support and have to go to those. The woman that deals with me is fantastic and so helpful.. she gave me loads of information about getting funding for courses, studying flexible courses in whatever u want and speaking to someone to help u choose what u went to do. I did end up going to this thing she put me on but quit as it was in an awful area full of horrible people that scared me(I'm not a snob though lol) & I wasn't in a good place at the time. But they may have something like that similar near u? x

No the job centre havent asked me to come to anything since i switched to income support, i dont know why they havent asked me to go, maybe because i would have to travel on the bus for an hour and half with LO to get there as they decided to close our local one. I was thinking some of those short courses would be a good option, i would refuse to take classes in bad areas aswell lol, i wanna find something as close as possible hopefully just not sure what, think i may have to contact job centre x

If you’re a practical person have you consider something like Hairdressing.

The hours can also be flexible to work around your LO in the future.

Im really not a hair dressing kind of person lol, it takes me 5 minutes to do my hair in the morning and i only wear make up to go clubbing lmao, i was a tom boy growing up so would rather be covered in mud than playing with peoples hair and make up lol hence why i worked with horses when you work on a horse yard 12 hours a day you chuck your hair up in a pony tail and wouldnt even think about make up lol. Thanks for the suggestion though xx

In all honesty i would love to write fiction books for a living, but its so hard to get in to and despite having some amazing would be story plots written down im not very good with words when writing so dont think i would be able to do it lol. I know someones gunna say it doesnt make sense if i prefer practical work, but its all about keeping my mind busy as im a daydreamer heance why i do better out of classrooms lmao x

Thats strange that you don't have to go to them because their compulsory... I missed one as was ill and forgot all about it and they lowered my income support because of it! & my local one is far and I don't drive so my mum has to take me. I would ring job centre and ask to speak to the 'lone parent' advisors and see if u can get an appointment? Can't a member of family or friend take u to save the long bus journey? Their really helpful so should be able to put u in touch with the right people.. as theres looooads of new schemes about now to help lone parents get back into work :). I'm not sure on suggestions of things to do as I'm the exact same atm.. I done 2 years of beauty therapy at college and then fell pregnant wen I left & its not what I want to do either so I need something new! Doesn't help that I live in the middle of nowhere and don't drive.. my 1st mission is moving out of home before I can begin to look into jobs/studying lol. x

Similar problems here. Have you thought about something like social work or do you not want to go to uni?

Similar problems here. Have you thought about something like social work or do you not want to go to uni?

I would love to go to uni, but there is so much writing involved and thats where i tend to go wrong, im a good writer and the assignments i had from college were all really well marked but i have to be in a certain frame of mind. Its like my attention span just disapears and i get easily distracted. If they did everything in practical tests or written tests instead of coursework i would find uni unbelievably easy but obviously they dont do that. I wanted to be a child psychologist for a couple years and got an 'A' in my psychology gcse i did as an extra at college while doing my other stuff but then i got bored and decided i needed to get out from behind a desk hence why i switched to training horses which was mostly practical.

i know i probably sound childish saying i get bored but i have been like it forever every school report has said i just tune out and daydream half the time because i learn to quickly so find it boring after a certain point, even when i got in trouble and constantly excluded in my last 2 years of secondary school all my teachers said i would bunk off etc because i was to smart for my lessons and needed something harder to learn lol. My attendance for yr 11 was 48% and i still managed to get Bs and Cs on all my coursework and exams. Its hard to explain. An example of how quickly i learn is i knew nothing about horses before i went to college, after 6 months i knew more than over half my tutor and once i got in to my 2nd year they would all come to me for help with work, infact i tutored four of my friends to help them finish there work in time.

Do u think you could do care work?

Its flexible and you can learn on thr job so no need to go to college, money isnt bad either.

its an option if you think you could do it xx

Sorry i havent read the whole thread but how about nursing :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"