Stupid doctors

25weeker

Reaction score
After bob2331 had a doctor blurt out about CP it got me thinking of things docs have come out with and left us parents thinking WTF! I thought it would be good to share.

I had two instances.

In our first neonatal when Holly started struggling on cpap and got put back on a vent (turned out to be sepsis) the doc on had the worst people skills and when we came in to see her back on the vent he said they had put her back on the vent then shrugged his shoulders and said "we will just have to see what happens" and walked off. Me and oh were so shocked by it all we could do was laugh!

The second one was in our second neonatal. I came back from lunch and they had moved her into a new bay in the corner. I didn't query it as I thought maybe twins were coming in and wanted them together. I was sitting at the incubator and the doctors were going round and discussing each baby. They got to Holly and said we have moved her here because she maybe have mrsa but we won't know for def until tomorrow. I said to the nurse did I hear that right and she was mortified I hadn't been told.

:shock: omg 25weeker.

We went in and sat at Alexs bay. No-one spoke to us, nor did we see a nurse attend in the space of 30mins.
DH asked a random nurse who was looking after Alex.
She said she'd have a look, checked Alexs PC and said "oh, it's me!"

I mean, what the actual.....

I walked in to find Leo back on CPAP in HDU and was told "It happens........" *walks off* erm ok care to elaborate?

"We're moving the babies next door tonight because we're short staffed" ....................

"The Dr found a hernia this morning but I'm sure he'll fill you in later" *walks off*

4am phonecall "Hello don't worry but we've had to stop Leo's feeds, put him on IV fluids and transfer him back to ICU at the Royal urgently, how soon can you get there?"

Ours was...On the day of one of Lakai's head ultrasound results (this was after finding the Grade IV IVH on the left side), this resident who I HATED anyways (due to her AWFUL bed side manner) says "There is a Grade III on the right side now, so we will need to talk about removing his care (life support) again ASAP". It turned out she couldn't read US's properly and there was no Grade III bleed. She never once said anything to us about it again.

I remember one that really upset me....

After attending my local triage unit at 23+3 and discovering i was 3cms dilated with bulging membranes (they gave me first lot of steroids and stopped labour) i was transferred to another hospital. While just having to discuss with Peads about whether or not we wanted our LO resuscitated the doctor breezed into the room, without an introduction blurted out to me "You do realise if you hadn't already been treated, I certainly would not have been continuing with it!"
Now i know it's some hospitals policy not to offer treatment at this early gestation but to state the obvious to someone lying there in that position was just awful! Lots of tears followed. The ironic thing was this same Doctor was in attendance of the birth 2weeks later and actually came to speak to me 1week afterwards to offer her congratulations and praise! I was even more stunned at this.

It's almost as if the Doc's do this all too often and forget they dealing with people with feelings and emotions. T?hey can say some awful things.

Apart from the CP, we also had the dreaded 5 am phone call saying that Harry had NEC. Me rushing up in my pj's to the hospital and being left 4 hours before the doctor casually just turned round and said, oh its not NEC, its wind!!!!!!

When we first arrived back to my local hosipital when harry was 5 weeks old, the head consukltant asked me where twin 1 was, like i left him in the car!!!!!

The best we had was after the boys had been vented for a couple of days this awful Registrar with a terrible bed side manner came up to my room & told me and OH that there was nothing more they could do for the boys if this didn't work before shrugging and leaving!!

A good friend of ours who is a paediatrician came in by chance to visit that afternoon and we took her down to see the boys, and after reading their charts said they were on the minimal amount of support and if it was up to her she would be extubating them later that day or the next day....and they were!! So WTF that other doctor was on about I will never know.

i call the hospital in the am nurse says.. well did you call lastnight?
Me: yes around 8pm
Nurse: well did you call this morning??
Me: not yet calling now (12:30pm)
Nurse: Well she is the same as she was lastnight! Anything else you want to know?
Me: um any tests or anything today.. what did the dr say on rounds.... is she active today???
Nurse: no changes oh we upped her feeds again!
Me: silently screams

Me: can I talk to a dr today about Samanthas progress
Nurse. ummmmm hmmmmmm ummmmm whos on call today??? Well let me see if i can find..... um no nurse practioner is at lunch.... Ummmmm hmmmm it's the weekend dr thats on so hes not sa familiar with Samanthas progress.... well one sec let me see..... *wander off*
Husband: fuming
Dr comes over after 20 minutes... : I'm pretty busy i have all the babies on the ward.... Well I guess we should discuss everything. I'm dr. huin
Me: Looks at Samanthas incubator at her paper and the dr that came to speak to us was her regular dr!!!!
Husband: fuming

Me: can we hold her
Nurse: well no.. it's not a handling time.. well how long are you here?? Shes just about to eat and she has been swiinging today
( she swings everyday and the nurse always let us hold her because it calms her down and she doesn't swing!!!!!!)
Nurse: come back in like 30 minutes and we'll let you have a bit of a hold
I held her for 15 minutes and my husband held her for literally 2minutes and a nurse whisked her back into her incubator because she was having a small desat.
never has a nurse done that. They al;ways just let us hold her and she self freakin resolves!!! AHHHH!

I always notice to with certain nurses Samantha acts certain ways. She desats more with some then others. Theres always 2 particular nurses that never have any problems. She always sleeps away enjoys her baths never desats and bradys. but most other nurses especially the bitchy ones she has bad days.erg

:wacko: Probably should not have looked at this :cry: Is it all bad when your LO is in the NICU? :cry:

aww ozzieshunni it's not always bad. there will be days with stupid nurses that bring their home drama to work and are in a bad mood. I have had a ton of nurses as Samantha has been at 3 different hospitals and i have had some i could talk to all day long and are so sweet and such.
Like lastnight I called and Sammy had a new nurse and she was so sweet with her! She was telling how she changed her gave her a new outfit to wear. She told me how she tried her off the oxygen to see if she would tolerate it but she didn't. She then told me Sammy had a supper fussy crying moment and she took her out and gave her a cuddle and she calmed right down. She said she must have missed me and daddy. :(
some nurses say they want to just take her home and such.
Theres good and bad days.
your Lo will have amazing care don't fret. :)

Thanks much! I hate people that get into professions that require contact with the public and act like they are doing you a huge favour by caring for you. :grr:

Ozzie,

Sorry darlin, reading these must have scared the nhell out of you. This is the bad side, i have lots of fond menories from nicu (i know that sounds strange but its true) xxx

I agree the stupid things done are definitely in the minority. Most of the docs & nurses do amazing jobs.

At the end of the day these people are only human. There will be some who are just twats but hey you meet them everywhere :winkwink:

:wacko: Probably should not have looked at this :cry: Is it all bad when your LO is in the NICU? :cry:

No no no noooooo not at all, thing is everyones sooooo amazing that the slightest whoopsy can seem massive in comparison :rofl:
Let me assure you baby will always put it all right!!

Thanks all. I'm still shakey about Monday. I can only hope for the best. xx

The Doctor who discharged Elias brushed us off rather rudely when we discussing our options for vaccinating -- she asked us if we had anymore questions, and before we were able to even open our mouths, she excused herself and walked out of the room! I hate that woman. I really do. She's the same Doctor who went behind our backs and gave Elias the Hep B vaccine when we specifically told them NO and signed a paper refusing it.

Our NICU experience was dreadful (but I'm sure it's been nice for others (at times)!)

I think our worst one was when I was with Sophie in intensive care, and the nurse (yep Sandi, you can guess who it was!) came rushing in and shoved me and my friend out of the way, asked us to leave for a minute and I seriously thought something was wrong!! My friend started questioning her about what was wrong with Sophie and she said "Oh nothing, I'm just giving her her caffeine". ??? Any need to rush me out of the way like that?!

See i just blame everything on her cause she needed a good :sex: no seriously she needed people skills :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->