Stupid stitching question?

DazedConfused

Mama to 1
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

So hopefylly get my home birth but just had a trauma moment, what happens if I need stitches?
Do I just need to man up and take it on the couch, or will I be taken to hospital?
Help :wacko:

I think they will just give you a local and do them at your home xx

If you do need stitches, they will give you an injection to numb you and do the stitches at home, unless you have a very severe tear. There's no difference in how they do it except for your surroundings. :)

My midwife carried lidocaine with her to inject as a local numbing agent if needed to repair a minor tear at my home. If it was something that required more repair than she was comfortable with then I would have been taken to a hospital.

I asked my midwife this the other day and she said they would do it at home. I suppose if it were severe they would take you to hospital to do it.

Midwives will repair first and second degree tears at home They will freeze the area with lidocaine first to make sure your numb and it tends to be less uncomfortable to have the suturing done sooner then later after the birth. And if it's just a tiny laceration that just needs one stitch sometimes they will put it in with no freezing. Also, nice midwives carry with them a topical freezing gel to put on the area first before injecting the freezing though that costs extra money so alot of midwives around here don't purchase it :nope:

I had gas & air during my stitches, rather than a local anaesthetic. I don't know if this option is available at home though?

Hi i hav been wondering what happens if you give birth at home and need a blood tranfusion as lost alot of blood would you have to go hospital and wouldnt that take extra crucial time to get there?

Only wondering as i am rhesus neg and things like this worry me cause of rare blood type

Hi i hav been wondering what happens if you give birth at home and need a blood tranfusion as lost alot of blood would you have to go hospital and wouldnt that take extra crucial time to get there?

Only wondering as i am rhesus neg and things like this worry me cause of rare blood type

Hi there :)
The midwife would follow exactly the same steps that she would take in hospital. Oxytocic drugs to manage blood loss are part of the basic kit that midwives take to every home birth. If this didn't work still an ambulance would be called and the midwife can take other precautions to help you "make it" like manually compressing the uterus etc.

If you have reasons to be more concerned / your midwife is then you probably won't be allowed a home birth :)

I had my little one at home and on the advice of the homebirthing info leaflet even brought the midwives a head torch (lol) incase I did need stitches, however I was totally focused on not tearing in the first place as I really didn't fancy them and found that pushing exactly as my midwife told me to and giving birth on my knees worked brilliantly and indeed I didn't tear even a little bit. :) x

I had my little one at home and on the advice of the homebirthing info leaflet even brought the midwives a head torch (lol) incase I did need stitches, however I was totally focused on not tearing in the first place as I really didn't fancy them and found that pushing exactly as my midwife told me to and giving birth on my knees worked brilliantly and indeed I didn't tear even a little bit. :) x

That is my goal!:kiss:

That is my goal!:kiss:

Ditto!

I managed to get a second degree tear during my last home-birth, but as it wasn't bleeding the midwife gave me the option to have stitches or not.. I opted not to and healed perfectly within a couple of weeks. However, had I opted to, they'd have been done there and then at home :)

to be honest She did me on the couch.. I dont think she used a numbing injection either cos I dont remember giving me one just stitched me up! I could feel it.. but after VB it was pretty weird and numb feeling down there anyways! lol

Sometimes tearing and/or stitches are unavoidable no matter what you do; with my eldest his head didn't mould properly due to extra bone growth on his skull; the second his head was off the top of the charts for head circumference and my youngest had both hands on his face, so its good to keep an open mind. I had gas and air when having stitches at home; I used the whole canister...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->