SUA- Anyone else?

wookie130

Momma to H, O, & C
Reaction score
Just some background...I'm 35, and this is my 2nd "successful" pregnancy. I've been pregnant 4 times, with one live birth...my daughter, who is now a year old. I opted to take the MaterniT21 screening with this baby, due to my age, and the results came back stating that I have a normal healthy boy.

Fast forward to my 20 week ultrasound this past week.

Everything with little man looked great, except that the ultrasound tech stated that I have a 2 vessel cord, rather than 3...which she did not seem worried about, nor was my OB, in light of the fact that everything on the scan looked normal, and great. HOWEVER, I was then promptly booked for a level II ultrasound at University Iowa Hospital, nearly an hour and a half away, just so they could "check him again."

I then, made the mother-of-all-mistakes, and consulted Dr. Google.

And the words, heart defect, soft marker, genetic abnormalities, stillbirth, IUGR, prematurity, kidney problems, and low birth weight stood out to me. Over and over again.

First of all, in light of my perfect MaterniT21 results, what is the likelihood that he has some wierd undetected chromosomal or genetic problem? And the 20 week anatomy scan looked great, and no one seemed concerned. What does a level II ultrasound entail? How is it better or different than a regular ultrasound?

Needless to say, I'm very worried, even though my OB told me that the vast majority of SUA babies are born with no issues at all.

DH was a twin with a two vessel cord, he came out at early term weighing 3 lb 15 oz, perfectly healthy and normal. Don't stress too much, Dr. Google is great at worrying people! I bet your doc is just being thorough so that in that rare chance there is something, it is known and cared for accordingly. I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks due to measuring behind, which from then on out I measured behind. DS was fine, had plenty of fluids, and came out as a loooong baby. Sometimes these things happen, likely your baby is fine since you had the blood work done!

Hi, My first born had sua. She is now a happy healthy 2 year old of is 35.5" tall and 33lbs. We had a level II scan as well. Its standard protocal because in some cases, a two vessel cord can be a marker for heart and kidney abnormalities, but typically its just the cord that is the issue. The babies can also be at risk for being small as the cord isnt bringing in as many nutrients as it normally would. Now, as to that being said, My daughter was born at 40+5 weighing 7lbs 8oz and 19" long. She was plump and healthy. She has no ill effects from having sua. I also have 2 friends that were diagnosed with sua. Both of them also went on to have only the sua with no other defects and delivered healthy normal sized babies :) You will start going in for non stress tests once a week with afi screenings to monitor fluid levels. This is all standard as well so dont get worried when they tell you. It was actually nice being able to go once a week even though my hospital is an hour away. I got to see her every week and know she was perfectly fine :) I also really got to know the nurses which was awesome because they already knew me when I showed up in labor a day before my scheduled induction :) If you have questions feel free to pm me :)

I also want to add that when you have your appt. for the II scan you will probably have a fetal echocardiogram as well. It is a really in depth scan of the heart for about 20 minutes or more. The level II scan is a more in depth scan and it is done by usually a doctor. You can ask all the questions you want and they can and will answer them right then and there. NO waiting to see your doctor for the results. Actually, my US gal had a sua pregnancy too and her daughter was fine :)

Just to update:

I had my Level II scan this past Thursday, and all is well...I did not have an echocardiogram. Kidneys, heart, and other organ systems were seen as normal, and I'll probably be monitored for growth through my regular OB at some point in the third trimester.

I feel like I can breathe again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"