Sub amniotic bleed?

dan-o

RMC's but mum to 3 now!
Reaction score
I know this is quite uncommon but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?
I've just been diagnosed with this today as the cause of my (seemingly endless!) bleeding, but no one really seems to know much about it. :shrug:

Sub amniotic bleed?

I know this is quite uncommon but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?
I've just been diagnosed with this today as the cause of my (seemingly endless!) bleeding, but no one really seems to know much about it.

dear Dan o

i can very well feel your agony... i hope you are doing well and resting...
when i was carrying my son. i too had subchorionic bleed from 6 weeks on wards.. it was on and off... and i remember going through endless google searches trying to find out what exactly it was.. as i understand... in initial phase scb.. means the possibility of separation between uterine lining and chorion.. it usually happens when embryo is trying to attach itself to the lining of the uterus...
now that you are well into ur middle cycle..sub amniotic bleed indicates chorion separation at sac level... can i ask position of your placenta is it near the bleed site?

i will advice.. maximum rest and keep hydrated.. as it will keep contraction away.. also my doctor advice me to take uterine muscle relaxant.. to calm things down.. hope this helps... ill be praying for u ...

Thanks Arinsmum :)

The bled site looked to be on the opposing side to the placenta, which they said was even more unusual, but I'm going for another ultrasound next week as it may have just looked like that (I was hemorrhaging at the time)
There was a 6x5cm clot, quite low, surrounded by pooling blood, which was flowing out of me. As its under the amnion, the pocket of blood and clot extends into the sac with baby.

I did start out with a SCH at 7w (my 3rd pregnancy with SCH!) with typical red or brown bleeding, but the floods of fresh blood kicked off at 14weeks (presuming that's when the bleed moved from under the chorion, to between the sacs)

How did it go with your little boy? We're you able to resolve the bleed?

dear dan-o

How are you doing ??? did you get a chance to get another ultrasound done?? hope things are getting better...god i remember how frightening it is to c blood in any form or colour...

Well.. with my son my pregnancy was very eventful.. as i said earlier it all started with SCH at 6 weeks.. and on and off till 15th week .. but my doctor started me with 5000 iu of HCG in initial stage (at 6th week) i received 3 injections of HCG with lower doses till i was well into my second trimester..
Along with that progesterone supplements to calms uterus .. i started with 500 mg twice daily.. and then he increased my dosage to 500 mg thrice ..

Have you discussed progesterone supplementation with your doctor?

And most importantly rest rest and rest complete bed rest.. i know its hard but you need to rest as much as you can...i was on complete bed rest throughout my entire pregnancy...
Keep your self hydrated..drink lots and lots of water.. it really helps.. your goal should be to keep things as calm as possible thats it....at all times...

after the SCH threat had just resolved around 18th i felt a bit strange and heavy .. ultrasound showed everything fine but upon my insistence doctor agreed to do manual checkup where he found out my cervix was soft and shortening.. so had to go for emergency stitch the very next day... from that day on i was on bed rest .. and progesterone supplements.. it was such a stressful time every day was a big mile stone for me.. we wr almost about to loose him at 23 weeks when i started bleeding again..when doctor decided to start me on injectable progesterone, one shot every week.. finally.. around 33 weeks i was spotting black clots.. i didn't realise but my stitch had come out and doctors decided he couldn't wait and take risk of infection so emergency c-sec and my beautiful baby boy arrived into our lives...

Because from the start there was a constant threat of him arriving soon.. i was very particular on eating things which would eventually help him gain maximum weight to give him maximum chance of survival... at 33 weeks he weighed 2.6 kg and by gods grace he didn't need NICU at all..
eat healthy... water water water... also.. try taking prenatal omega, vitamin D and folic acid.
Gosh am i boring you???? im sorry for that.. its just that i don't want to keep anything out ...
My prayers are with you and the little baby...

That's so helpful, thank you for taking the time to reply :hugs:
Sounds like you really had to work hard to get your baby, thank goodness he and you were both ok in the end!

I was wondering about what to eat to make him as big as possible!!!
What worked for you?
I eat stacks of fresh fruit and veg (probably 12 servings per day on average) lots of cows cheese and soya milk, whole grain bread and cereals. I drink a lot of liquids too. happy to add anything else that may help! I read about vitamin e possibly helping too?

Regarding the progesteone, I was on it until 14w and it was after stopping that I started getting the red blood. This was dismissed at hospital last week, but I will ask my consultant next weds. In the meantime, I took matters into my own hands and obtained a private prescription for 400mg a day to last until 36w ;)

I also have group b strep (normal for me) which is another worry in the back of my mind, if my cervix is opening to let the blood out, it can let strep b in..

As for bleeidng I've gone back to my usual pattern of a couple of small floods in the late evening/overnight, but a pad will catch it. It has actually changed colour to darker red in the last two days, its just the spotting which is fresh, so I'm hoping it's calming down a bit!

Hey Dan-o!

There is quite a big subamniotic hematoma support group on here I think.

I had a subchorionic hematoma with my second son. I had a small amount of spotting at 8 weeks which on the scan they diagnosed as a small hematoma. By 12 week scan it appeared to have gone. No more episodes of bleeding or even spotting at all. At the 20 week scan the sonographer saw a long thin dark hematoma. She asked if I had had a lot of bleeding and I said that apart from spotting at 8 weeks, nothing. She said that was unusual with subchorionic hematomas. She also said that it looked like old blood, as if the old hematoma had stretched as my uterus had grown.

No advice about bed rest but was told they would scan me again at 26 weeks as hematomas can cause growth restriction. I was really scared. At 26 weeks the hematoma had vanished, completely reabsorbed and my baby's growth was fine. He was born at 39 weeks and weighed nearly 8 pounds.

I am sure things will be fine for you, especially as you are so far on. From reading the support group, it seemed that a lot of the scary and sad stories resulted in quite early losses. When is your next scan?

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->