Subchorionic Hematoma?

maisie78

Mum
Reaction score
I was hoping there might be some women on here who have experience and can help. I am not sure of this is what I have had this week.

On weds morning I had a very heavy feeling in my uterus and went to the loo. When I wiped there was quite a lot of blood and then for the next 3-4 hours I bled reasonably heavily and passed a couple of clots. I was convinced this meant I had lost the baby. I didn't go to the Dr as I thought nature was just taking it's course but by Weds evening /Thursday morning the bleeding had become brown discharge which eased to spotting throughout Thursday. I had a chat with my daughter's nurse and she recommended I get checked by my GP just to sure everything was as it should be so I was going to make an appointment on Friday. However, Friday morning I woke up with horrible morning sickness and I got really upset thinking my body was playing an awful trick on me. So we went to a&e and got referred to the EPU. My bloods showed my hcg was over 1000 though the didn't say by how much, and my internal showed no obvious problems. I couldn't get a scan until yesterday but I was still convinced I was either miscarrying or having an ectopic. So we were more than a little shocked to see our little baby on the screen with a lovely fast heartbeat.

Obviously we were thrilled and on a bit of a high so it wasn't until we had left the unit that it occurred to me that no one has actually told us what the bleeding was, or even what it could have been. So I have checked with Dr Google and Subchorionic Hematoma seems to be the most obvious cause. What worries me is, if that is the case, there are recommendations of bed rest, no lifting and basically taking it really easy but no one has said this to me.

I will contact the midwife tomorrow but is there anyone here with experience that might help please?

Hi-is anything written in your notes regarding your epu visit?

I got diagnosed with a subchorionic henatoma at 12 weeks after a huge bleed. In my notes it details the findings more.

I think in the UK they are pretty useless regarding info on sch's, and I carried on as normal whilst trying to take it easy. They don't tend to give any advice and are more blasé unlike in places like US where bed rest is frequently revommened.

Anyway, a week later I had another big bleed and the clot had grown. I decided to research myself and found bed rest and laying on your left side when your actively bleeding helps. I do recommend doing these as I'm sure it helped me. Also-avoid any heavy lifting, dtd and straining yourself.

My clot was large at 7cm. The general view is the bigger the clot, the higher risk things are. However, the majority of sch's do resolve around the 20 week mark. Also, the vast majority don't cause loss.

For me I had a month of bed rest, and it stopped bleeding around 18/19 weeks.

If you want more advice, there's a really good sch thread over on the pregnancy groups page. :flower:

Thank you Yo-Yo I have just found the group and started reading. I have told OH that based on what I have read I think we should er on the side of caution so no more lifting and try to rest as much as possible. I am not at work for the next 10 days so that will help. I have had a brief chat with the midwife but she didn't say anything about sch. I'm really worried it's going to happen again :(

Thank you so much for posting this! It gives me hope. We just found out Friday that I'm pregnant & I would be about 7-8 weeks. It was a big surprise! Yesterday I started spotting then bleeding with a few clots. This morning it has stopped. I'm waiting for the office to open so I can make an appointment. I have had a loss before so that was the first place my mind went. I'm hoping it's something like this!

Thank you so much for posting this! It gives me hope. We just found out Friday that I'm pregnant & I would be about 7-8 weeks. It was a big surprise! Yesterday I started spotting then bleeding with a few clots. This morning it has stopped. I'm waiting for the office to open so I can make an appointment. I have had a loss before so that was the first place my mind went. I'm hoping it's something like this!

I hope so too :hugs:

I have not even had any brown spotting now since Saturday so feeling slightly better but still very anxious. Let me know how you get on :flower:

I had an sch with my son. Has two massive bleeds...and we thought webhad lost him both times.... He is now 3.5 years old!

I just had exactly the same thing!! I had a really sudden bleed for a few hours on Friday eve (enough to go through my jeans) went to the out of hours doc to get checked over, and was booked in for a scan and checked for infection etc. The bleeding stopped the same night and hadn't returned.

I had my scan today, expecting the worst, and there was my little bean with a strong heartbeat on the screen measuring 6w 5d :) The nurse could see where the haematoma had been, but thought that most of it had come out dramatically last Friday...hoping and praying for no more drama now!!

Maise, I think I might be going through the same thing. I had intercourse on Sunday night and had pink/red spotting when I wiped then Monday morning after a bowel movement it happened again. Later that morning I had an internal scan and started brown spotting the rest of the day. It was almost like I saw pieces of tissue mixed with it everytime I wiped. Brown spotting continued all day Tuesday. This morning I woke up crossing my fingers that it had stopped. Went #2 again, and then I saw red blood. Enough to where I've had to wear a pantyliner all day. Went for a scan today and baby has grown 2 days and had a heartbeat of 111. On the scan, there was a black blob under the gestational sac. The technician explained that it was the area of the bleed. He said it could go either way. He ordered no sex and no heavy lifting not even my 23 pound son. :( I really hope that this resolves for us!

I think a lot depends on the size of the bleed. I currently have one that's 2 cm, dr didn't put me on any restrictions. That being said, it's probably best to take it easy as much as possible. Hope everything goes well!

I had this with my last child. I bleed for 2 days. Now she is 4 and over here poking me in the ear :) Everything will be ok. I was put on bed rest and the hematoma was gone by my 12 wk scan and examination.

Babyfeva I replied in Feb hearts too but just wanted to say try not to panic. I had another show yesterday but just brown blood this time so I'm sure it is just old blood from the bleed last week. Like luvspnk I wasn't put on bedrest just told to take it easy but I have been trying as much as possible to avoid lifting which is very difficult with a non mobile 20 month old weighing 27lbs :(
The growth and hb are all good signs though and from what I have read there are more good outcomes with sch than bad xx

Thanks Maise. This is my 5th day spotting. I just want it to go away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->