Sucking non stop!

Mango

Reaction score
Sometimes I find my lil girl wants to suck non stop and I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly why that is.

Any ideas on what to do or how to figure out what is going on?

She has almost 3 bowel movements a day so I'm pretty sure she is getting enough milk but I still can't tell if she just "comfort sucking", or if she is not getting enough milk. It's really frustrating because my breast are getting very sore by her being on them sooo often. :cry:

Any ideas ladies? I'm trying to hang in there with the breast feeding gig.

Try giving her a pacifier, if you dont mind her having one.
Most babies (that I have been around) will spit the pacifier out if they dont want that and are hungry, so she should let you know. But it sounds like she could just be doing it for comfort.
Good luck!

what march baby said.

Or if you don't mind your little girl crying and maybe go out for a walk give her a feed and make her wait for 2-21/2 hours until you give her another one, then if she is really hungary she should take a full feed.

I'm trying to avoid a pacifier really because it alters the shape of their mouth/ the top pallet...I've been trying to feed her on a 2-3 hr schedule and like Vicky suggested, but she never wants to let go once she is on...

I hope this passes as it's becoming very difficult. I feel so guilty when she cries :(

I've never heard about the pacifer altering their pallet...... my friend's husband is a consultant orthadentist and performs corrective surgery on children and he is the one that encouraged me to use one!

When you say she wants to suck all the time, is she wide awake and actively sucking all the time or does she fall asleep and then cries when you prise her off you? Do you have a sling? That sometimes help to soothe them to get a bit more time inbetween feeds.

my son was on the boob every 45 mins - 1 hr 30 mins for the first six weeks...and then he was on for 45 mins - 1 hr a time used to drive me bonkers...the baby is pretty new at it to and is prob doing it for comfort...these things do settle down...

good luck tanya

Agree with Tanya, in first 4/6 weeks my girls were all feeding every2 hours.

never heard of the dummy thing my bubs was doin the same have you tried feedin on both sides each feed to insure a full belly if that doesnt work id say its definately comfort and a dummy works wonders for that ive used one with mine all 3 times it gives you a break.

Mango apparently it is good when she is sucking a lot in the beginning as this will stimulate your milk production!

Juleika was like this as well and with her three months growth spurt I felt glued back to the sofa!

as long as she has wet nappies and putting on weight she is doing alright and you do not need to worry :hi:

Juleika still doesn't take a dummy!

I would like her to take one, so I can have a break from comfort sucking and in order to use those dummies from Germany later on, which have a big part of latex and are supposed to form the gum.

we used them on my sister and boy, not a single tooth of my sister is sitting wrong!!! there are all beautifully in straight order next to each other!

this is how those dummies look like:

https://wiki.windelbabies.de/images/f/f1/NUK-Sauger.jpg

do u have them in UK as well? I could not find them anywere so far.

She's probably doing it for comfort, but also to get your supply up.

About the dummies, the ones your after are made by a comany called NUK. Superdrug (or at least mine does) sell the teats that are in your link, and the dummies. They come with a little tub to put them in when not being used and I believe do them in pink, blue and green. My son will only take the cherry dummies now, but in the beginning he used the teats because he was struggling to suck on Avent teats. They also sell the NUK Orthodontic teat for wide neck bottles which was perfect because I could use them in my avent bottles saving me buying more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->